Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Gameplay Is Too Fast! :-/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Gameplay Is Too Fast! :-/ Reply with quote

I found some more videos/interviews on Gamespot about pirates. Here they are:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidpirates/media.html

I recommend you watch the interview with Jeff Briggs as he gives information and basically almost all of the video is from the game.

Seeing this makes me worried about something. The ships move WAY too fast and so do the clouds and weather… This concerns me because you will most likely experience a small part of the sailing in the game. At the speed the ships are moving, you literally get from island to island in seconds.

I really hope the developers look into this and make it so that everything moves a bit slower, or at least add it as an option in the preferences screen.

Thoughts?
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, good find! Never saw those. Smile

Well, the fast sailing bit is no problem for me. It's very much like the original (Gold) version. It's got a very arcade-ish feel to it which suits the rest of the game quite well and stays true to the previous games in the series.

Looking at those though, I musy admit I'm not so sure about the dancing anymore. It intrigued me for a while but now it just looks... cheesy for lack of a better word. I like the idea of having to woo the woman into liking you, but the dancing just doesn't do it for me.

Guess we won't be sure till we play it ourselves though.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, although I have some HUGE worries about the game, I don't think we will be disappointed.
As for the speed, why don't they just make it so it fits everyone's playing style?

Perhaps some relief from Jeff or someone lese would be welcome. Smile
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some more videos on IGN. Cool

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/566/566713/vids_1.html

[EDIT] Looking at some of the videos (I didn't finish all) they look to be better than at Gamespot, although they are shorter. Very Happy
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I have to say that video clips are always going to look quicker than what normal gameplay is.. They normally speed it up to try and fit all they want you to see in the short amount of time. This way to keep the file under a certain size limit for the dial-up people. Just a thought... kinda like don't judge a book by its cover Smile

Just had to say it

Last edited by PiratesFan on Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point PF. They do often speed things up a little to cram more content into the same megabytes. Well, who knows... Smile
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good points. Let's hope so. Cool
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with the points made above about speeding the movies up to fit more in.

I'd also like to think that the developers would consider a speed scale (similar to Railroad Tycoon, which you could freeze or have on Turbo and a couple in between).

IIRC, even the original Pirates! that I played on my C64 had an option to make the game go faster (I think you needed to press T for turbo) which was handy for sailing from Port Royale to Curacao, for example.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingWilly wrote:

IIRC, even the original Pirates! that I played on my C64 had an option to make the game go faster (I think you needed to press T for turbo) which was handy for sailing from Port Royale to Curacao, for example.

Interesting point. If the original had it, then this version probably also has it just to speed it up a bit when you get too bored. Very Happy

BTW, check Gamespot, they have a few more art screenshots. Maybe this means that more updates will come? (Sadly, I won't be able to see them for some time as I will be going away.)

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidpirates/screenindex.html

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nice that the speed was not to fast,that makes the game more realistic.Ships where not so fast in those days,and it takes weeks or months to get from the north to the south side,and i like to see the same thing in the game.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Playing “Quicker” Games Reply with quote

Since there are no real missions to choose from (because the governor decides what he wants you to do for him), doesn’t this mean that the game itself has to move faster?
I also noticed that on one of the screenshots, a ship had a way longer trail than on the other screenshots I saw (a longer trail would mean, I assume, that the game is a bit slower). I am not certain but I believe that you are allowed to change the speed of the game, which would, if true, make for awesome flexibility. Firaxis has also included a feature in Civ III that allows you to change the number of turns in a game (making for quicker or longer games), but whether this reflects on Pirates! or not is unknown.

Here’s the screenshot I was referring to:

Angel
Seaman

1757 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like the idea of faster sailing - I played Pirates on NES - and, OMG, it took FOREVER to get ANYWHERE...

And yes, the dancing looks rather cheesy...blegh....
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that the longer draglines indicate a higher speed of sailing, perhaps he's sailing with favourable winds?
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Could be that the longer draglines indicate a higher speed of sailing, perhaps he's sailing with favourable winds?

I would assume this too Falconer. I suspect that a small ship would sail faster than a large ship, and the draglines would signify this. Also as you mentioned, favourable winds would also increase the speed of the ship and therefore, the draglines.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that could be it, but compared to some of the videos, with the same small ships, the dragline is still not as long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: