Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

War Cannoes
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
PrinceScamp wrote:
aye, i agree, war canoes are great, but i'm not selling of my large frigate or my Ship of the Line when i get one, but the other frigates are what make up my fleet. once i sunk a war gallion and captured a treasure ship with the canoe though. just one question, where are the mail runners?
Think war canoe. Just larger and slightly slower.

Are the mail runners actually slower? I thought the ships of the same class had the same attributes except for capacity...
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
Are the mail runners actually slower? I thought the ships of the same class had the same attributes except for capacity...

In my experience, the largest ship of any class is slightly slower and less maneuverable than its smaller brethren. The one place this appears in the official table of vessels is with the West Indiaman, which is listed as having a "very wide" turning radius, while the fluyt and large fluyt have a "wide" turning radius.

The war canoe definitely turns more quickly than the mail runner, and I'm pretty sure it is faster as well.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of the War Canoe as a commando-raid type ship. They are meant for a quick smash-and-grab, then escape. They are so easy to come by, that I never worry when one is damaged. They are eminently disposable ships for a quick turnover strategy...

I can't really tell if a larger ship of the same class is slower than its smaller brethren. I know they make bigger targets, without being faster, so in effect, they are more vulnerable to enemy fire.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

327 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Canoes are great and easy to obtain (from Indian raiding parties, although you need a fast ship to capture it intact, like Sloop). Use them to fastly board small prices, but for bigger opponents my choise is Royal Sloop. War Canoes' 8 cannons just take too much time compared to 20 cannons in Royal Sloop to get the enemy striking the colors (this is of course when you already have a full fleet).
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
War Canoes are great and easy to obtain (from Indian raiding parties, although you need a fast ship to capture it intact, like Sloop). Use them to fastly board small prices, but for bigger opponents my choise is Royal Sloop. War Canoes' 8 cannons just take too much time compared to 20 cannons in Royal Sloop to get the enemy striking the colors (this is of course when you already have a full fleet).

I set you a challenge - Use a War Canoe to Take down a Ship Of the Line.

It takes a while - but it can be done Smile

Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

327 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparticus wrote:

Yea. That's why I like Royal Sloop more. Smile
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go after Montalban at Swash with a war canoe, I fire cannon balls from a distance until his guns are silenced. Then I move in and fire chain shot until his sails are shredded. Then I pick off his crew. It takes a while, but it makes for a short, successful swordfight once I board!
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

327 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
When I go after Montalban at Swash with a war canoe, I fire cannon balls from a distance until his guns are silenced. Then I move in and fire chain shot until his sails are shredded. Then I pick off his crew. It takes a while, but it makes for a short, successful swordfight once I board!

That's the tactic to use on Swashbuckler lvl where Montalban is crazy fast.
On an easier difficulty when fencing isn't that hard, is good to go straight to and board Montalban's/Raymondo's Flag Galleon with BOW/Frigate -type ship (even a War Canoe, if you don't need a manpower) and capture it intact. You can then sell it later for profit.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
sparticus wrote:

Yea. That's why I like Royal Sloop more. Smile

I just like the challenge - as 1 Hit to the War Canoe from a SOtL usually ends it all Smile.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall we had a Programmer check it out for us and say the speed of the Mail Runner, Pinnace and War Canoe are all identical.

Just the same, I love the little boat. It has style and panache!
Using one cuts two years off the game time versus a Royal Sloop. It is like driving around the world in a Ferrari!

If you have not tried it, do so, it will spoil you. It really is the best way to go. Gun Pierson talked me into it almost 10 years ago and I am so glad he did!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I recall we had a Programmer check it out for us and say the speed of the Mail Runner, Pinnace and War Canoe are all identical.

Just the same, I love the little boat. It has style and panache!
Using one cuts two years off the game time versus a Royal Sloop. It is like driving around the world in a Ferrari!

If you have not tried it, do so, it will spoil you. It really is the best way to go. Gun Pierson talked me into it almost 10 years ago and I am so glad he did!

I was Edumacated by Guru Smile
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

327 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know do you gain more gold capturing cargo and selling it or just plundering with the War Canoe and never go to port..

Also for the record sake: For going top speed can I have any other ships beside my War Canoe (except another War Canoes)? I mean, if I have a War Canoe as a flagship and some other ships, like let's say a Royal Sloop and two Large Merchantmans, it affects my top speed?
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
Also for the record sake: For going top speed can I have any other ships beside my War Canoe (except another War Canoes)? I mean, if I have a War Canoe as a flagship and some other ships, like let's say a Royal Sloop and two Large Merchantmans, it affects my top speed?

Your fleet speed depends on 1) the speed of your flagship, and 2) the number of vessels in your fleet. It does not matter whether those extra vessels are canoes or fluyts - only their number matters.

To be more precise, every even-numbered vessel (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th) subtracts a bit from your fleet speed.

A lot of players use a war canoe as their flagship to drag their fleet around the Caribbean quickly, and then switch to a larger ship for combat.

Caveat: If any vessel in your fleet is damaged, it will slow you down. That is a reason for trying to take your prizes undamaged.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

327 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering, Roland.

I do use that "War Canoe as a flagship" -tactic.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
Thanks for answering, Roland.

I do use that "War Canoe as a flagship" -tactic.

Good move Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: