Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Any Parrot-heads?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Struan
Seaman

2440 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Any Parrot-heads? Reply with quote

I am curious as to whether or not people who play pirate games also listen to Jimmy Buffett....
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Parrot-heads? Reply with quote

Dirk Struan wrote:
I am curious as to whether or not people who play pirate games also listen to Jimmy Buffett....

Shocked Jimmy who Question
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Parrot-heads? Reply with quote

Dirk Struan wrote:

I say lets make this thread a parrots only thread. You have to have a parrot in your hand to enter! Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked

Jimmys cool. I must confess I don't own any of his albums though.
Powder Monkey

1063 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any Parrot-heads? Reply with quote

Dirk Struan wrote:

Cool Yeah, mon! Check out me Sig. (I love that song.)

Cutlass Isle can't be all that far from Margaritaville, can it?

Look! I see fins to the left. And fins to the right! Feeding frenzy at Cutlass Isle tonight (except for that one Governor's daughter, she's way too plain!).

Yeah, I've got several Jimmy Buffett tapes and CDs. I've even got a CD of Jimmy Buffett songs done by some Nashville bluegrass studio musicians called "Pickin' On Jimmy Buffett, a Bluegrass Tribute" from the Great Pickin' On Series (If you like Bluegrass and other types of music check them out at www.cmhrecords.com. They've got something like 154 Bluegrass tributes of everything from Eric Clapton & Jimmie Hendrix to Garth Brooks & Alan Jackson to CCR & CSNY to Metallica & Ozzy Osborne)

P.S. I noticed that they have a "Blues Tribute To Jimmy Buffet" CD also. Follow the link along the top to the Tributes page.

Great! I sound like a bloody commercial!

(Deep voice):

"This message brought to you today by the Cutlass Isle Ad Council and Sugar Buckies. Yes, Sugar Buckies. Sugar-coated, whole grain little buccaneers with marshmallow cutlasses, treasure chests and anchors. With a whole day's supply of vitamin P, the Pirate vitamin, in every bowl. All the great Pirates start their day with Sugar Buckies (AKA candy-coated sugar bombs). Part of this complete Pirate breakfast (cut to a picture of a bowl of Sugar Buckies surrounded by a steaming mug of black coffee, a hunk of hot crusty bread drenched with melting butter and a tall glass of dark rum)! And in one out of every five boxes, you get a free Secret Pirate Decoder Ring! Now in the Limited Edition boxes with a famous Buccaneer on the front of each one! Collect all ten!"

Wink

"Yes, I am a Pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over-forty victim of fate."
- Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by Capn Hook on Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:15 am; edited 3 times in total
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like 400 years too late!!! Anyway, Mother Ocean is a great tune. Parrot head all the way here.

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really Scared me for some reason... Shocked
Capn Hook
Powder Monkey

1063 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie, I see you opted for the Peter Pan look. Smile

Just kidding. I thought about for a bit, but decided on something a little different.

"Yes, I am a Pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over-forty victim of fate."
- Jimmy Buffett
Emmerson
Swabbie

1743 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulture wrote:
More like 400 years too late!!! Anyway, Mother Ocean is a great tune. Parrot head all the way here.

I'm enough of a Parrothead to be annoyed when Vulture calls A Pirate Looks at Forty "Mother Ocean!" Confused

My mom played "Why Don't We Get Drunk?" for me when I was about 15, and of course that was hilarious to my teenage self. A few years later I was looking for that song, and picked up a copy of Song(s) You Know By Heart, and realized that it was full of stuff a lot better than "Why Don't We Get Drunk?"

Been hooked since then. Bought the box set and some of his newer albums. Seen several concerts, been to the Margaritaville store in Charleston, SC. Read his first three books, and the wife just got me "A Salty Piece of Land" for Valentine's Day. Very Happy

So yeah, I guess I'm a Parrothead. Wink
pnm967
Powder Monkey

6 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Parrot-head pirates Reply with quote

Actually have a tatoo of a parrot,even. And a copy of "Tales From Margaritavile".
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: funny you should ask Reply with quote

I live in South Florida, and made occassional trips to Key West. There I walk up and down the streets listening to various people playing Jimmy Buffet tunes in bars. Being a troubador myself, I know material selection is a major part of being "who you are" as a performer, and I also know by the look in someone's eye if they're playing something they like, or something they must to hold the gig....Key West

All the tourists come down and expect the Buffet ambiance, so to get gigs in these places, you have to know a lot of Jimmy Buffet. I play ONE Jimmy Buffet tune, Margaritaville. I quote one at home a lot "My head hurts, my feet stink, and I don't love Jesus. Was that kinda mornin'. Musta been that kinda night." Beyond that my appreciation of Jimmy Buffet lies around somewhere between Liberaci and Frank Sinatra, both of whom I can't stomach to any degree.

My more eclectic tastes are in the delta blues area, and even uptown blues with brass and all that electric stuff, with drums. My favorite BAND is Pink Floyd, and my favorite American band (best band they evah wuz) is the Allman Brothers Band with the original lineup including Duane Allman and Berry Oakley...if you don't count Lowell George and Little Feat.

Bottom line? I don't go to Key West anymore cause all you hear are people doing Jimmy Buffet from bar to bar to bar. Oh sure, occassionally there's that reggae band...but they always have this look like "what am I doin' here playin' to a bunch of cracker tourists..." After all, Buffet is MOR, or Middle of the Road, music and we all know what happens if you stand in the middle of the road.

Gordon Lightfoot is way better than Buffet could ever hope to be, by the way. I do about four hours of Lightfoot's material, including The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, and Yarmouth Castle, Botany Bay...and one which name escapes me he wrote about his own boat...."I call her Silverheels, and I love the way she feels."

"Her sails billow like bubbles when you sip your daily doubles.
if she wasn't so fond of the weather she might give the deckhands trouble."
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Hook wrote:
Howie, I see you opted for the Peter Pan look. Smile

Just kidding. I thought about for a bit, but decided on something a little different.

Yeah old Peter Pan is my hero. So I figured I would honor him along with Robin (minus batman), the Green lantern and all the other cartoon heros that wore green. I like green if you haden't noticed! Laughing
Powder Monkey

36 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: funny you should ask Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
...if you don't count Lowell George and Little Feat.

Well yeah, you could… but that would be sacrilege.

I understand that when Buffett kicked off his latest tour in Columbia, South Carolina a week ago that he opened with The Feat’s “Time Loves a Hero”.

Aaaahhhhh, Waiting For Columbus. Background music to my grad school studies.

Cool
Lengo
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrrrgh! I thought this thread was your short on soup fixens! I was hoping to get me some Parrot Head Soup!

Shiver me timbers! Shocked Arrrrrggghh.
Dirk Struan
Seaman

2440 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lengo wrote:
Arrrrrgh! I thought this thread was your short on soup fixens! I was hoping to get me some Parrot Head Soup!

Shiver me timbers! Shocked Arrrrrggghh.

.........................................................HAVE AT HIM LADS!!! Twisted Evil
grsmith320
Swabbie

575 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Airsaw! Gordon Lightfoot better than Jimmy Buffett? No way! My grandma used to listen to Lightfoot. And by the way, Frank Sinatra is the best thing in the world to listen to driving down the Vegas Strip with the top down. But, I agree with you about Delta Blues. I love that stuff. From Robert Johnson to Junior Kimbrough. Taught myself how to play Delta slide with an Epiphone resonator guitar and a Craftsman 19mm stainless steel socket. Sounds great.
As far as Buffett for Pirates fans it's okay, but some good Rasta Reggae is better.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: