Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Crewman?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Crewman? Reply with quote

I noticed in a screenshot over at the official Pirates! website that in the game it tells you how many people of your crew will be needed for the other ship.... Does anyone remember the old game giving you that information or has it been that long since I played it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember it telling you, but I think a ship wouldn't sail if you didn't have enough men. ALthough I might be confusing it with another game. Oops
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I remember it saying you didn't have enough crew and you lost a ship at random ... so was very careful to read the min crew requirements in the instruction book... I don't ever remember telling you in the previous versions... But obviously it will in the new Pirates! version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure that in the original, if you didn't have enough men to sail a ship that you'd just captured, you were forced to select a ship to leave behind. It has been awhile since this has happened, so I'm not 100% sure. I may have to test out the theory by pulling out my trusty copy of Pirates!

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes me an hour to get the game to run on my PC and then it runs way too fast. Wish I could find out myself.... Oh well...
Sonicsfan
Cutthroat

1729 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lost a ship randomly you coudn't chose witch ship was lost at the original game.
Chuko
Cutthroat

3730 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive it was the last one on your list (that got scuttled)... same with a mutiny... I think you need a minimum of 8 people on each ship.

Status of Ships;
Sloop Syzer sunk, all hands presumed dead
Frigate Sezcka, 28 guns, 260 men
Sloop of War Aozora, 12 guns, 120 men
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the reefs took the biggest ship ... How many times did i lose a good bounty because I wasn't paying attention ... Sad
Chuko
Cutthroat

3730 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
yeah the reefs took the biggest ship ... How many times did i lose a good bounty because I wasn't paying attention ... Sad

Thats why i always sailed in Sloops...

I'll tell a tale of perhaps my greatest pirates game I ever played, back on the good old Amiga. I was playing one of the scenarios, the treasure fleet one, (1640 somthing, I belive) In that game you start with four fast Galleons and two sloops. I had just claimed Havana (and captured the treasure fleet while I was at it) and that town in the middle of Cuba for the dutch crown, and as I was sailing around the eastern tip of Cuba to sack Santigo, you all remember that there is a small reef just off the eastern point. Well, I hit that reef, four fast galleons, a merchantman and a War Galleon went down, as well as nearly 100000 gold pieces. Well, instead of restarting the game, I kept oon going, and rebuilt my fleet, eventully sacking the entire South American Coast, and amasing a great wealth, with a final climactic battle at Panama. Oh, what a game that was, I think I got Lt. Governer for that one.

This is the reason my fleet is made up almost exlusivly of Sloops.

Status of Ships;
Sloop Syzer sunk, all hands presumed dead
Frigate Sezcka, 28 guns, 260 men
Sloop of War Aozora, 12 guns, 120 men
Angel
Seaman

1757 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the NES game, which I still have, LMAO!!! - it tells you how many you need.....I just checked Wink
Nefarious
Swabbie

159 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think knowing how many crew you'll need/have will be a big help to newer players. Vets tend to calculate all these factors even before a battle, including land assaults(I do anyway...such a dork). Seeing that screenshot made me think; newer players will get less frustrated and will tell more people about the game. I see many converts on the horizon with this feature being a small, yet helpful, part of it.
Paalikles
Powder Monkey

111 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: To run Pirates (dos or old windows version) Reply with quote

Arr! A little bit off topic here guys, but I felt like helping out...

Most computers today are fast. Incredibly more fast than they were when Pirates! was released.

Thus old games tend to run (but not always) - at extreme speed.
To solve, try Dosbox!

What does it do: DosBox is an open source project written to emulate dos games in new operating systems, like Windows XP. I have tested it myself only once, and it works with Civilization I.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

So basically - no more 1 hour's worth of trying to run the game, then watching it go too fast.
Try it! I would be surprised if it didnt support Pirates!
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy P. long time no see. Smile

Yep, Dosbox might help out but it's no guarantee! On my pc it's still too fast. It's worth trying though. Several people reported it helped them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: