Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Attacking cities
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juan de San Diego
Seaman

5156 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruff_hi wrote:
Quote:
Remember that Guard units are stronger than Infantry units

How do I tell the difference between guards and infantry?

With regards to land battles, I like to send 1 group of pirates either way left or way right and try to sneak them to the gate. That way, if it looks like I am loosing, I can use the option of 'get to the gate and win'. Also, if you are in a big battle with no pirates left (only bucs), back them up 1 square then fire. I almost won with 3 buc units facing 4 enemy units by backing and firing - took out 1 enemy unit each round and then didn't seem that willing to close with me (they remained a distance and fired!).

Ruff

I use that strategy too...send a group out to one side. This usually results in 1) getting to the gate unopposed, or breaking off an enemy unit or two for pursuit, making it easier for the rest of your band of marauders!

Juan
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: What difference does it make? Reply with quote

Welp, from what I've experienced (all my posts on strategy are from the rogue point of view) there's only ONE sure-fire strategy that will give you a win in a land battle against superior forces. Most times it works, but be advised, sometimes it DON'T (doesn't).

You deploy your forces as close to the center of the field as you can. One group of pirates should be in a position to make a wide, end-run. Normally the opposition will attack the group in the field, in the open. They also seem to like to attack, as a group, the units closest to them. SO, this group will stick and move, stick and move. Well, "stick and move" for the infantry amounts to getting shot, then backing up, getting shot then backing up. But, that's what you're doing. You are using the main body as bait to lure the opposition away from the track your "flying wing", or that pirate unit, will use to gain the gates of the fort.

The opposition, but for the native mercenaries and the cavalry, are limited to two squares, as are you. The greater mobility units usually attack headlong without waiting for support. SO, as THEY approach you, you try to take them out, cavalry generally gets there first. If you are heavily outnumbered, two (sometimes three) cavalry units are present, so while you're busy ganging-up on them their slower infantry has time to catch up. Still, you'll have room, and the moves, to retreat from them.

As you're leading the opposition away from your flying wing, naturally your flying wing is moving toward the gates. If they make it, regardless of how decimated your forces are, you still win. So, it's possible to sacrifice the entire force just to get this group of pirates to the gates.

TIP: While retreating your main body (as bait), keep them as much in the woods as possible. For the cavalry and mercenaries to attack one unit of yours, they are in range for your other units to counter attack. Cavalry will pursue you into the woods and they're child's play to take-out in that terrain. DON'T leave your units in the open within range of a cav attack. Once you've handled the cav/mercenary units, just keep two squares between you and the remaining opposition, and you'll likely have enough room and time to get your flying wing to the gates.

TIP: Your flying wing should follow a route which takes them around the backsides of hills (and so away from the opposition's view), and in the woods for the same reason, although it's not as effective. Your advantage here is, normally the opposition will stop and fire rather than charge your unit. You'll lose quite a few guys, but you are moving away from the attacking unit, which then has to pursue. They rarely set-up for a charge. Normally, they move one square (if close enough) then fire. If you are able to move out of range on your turn, they (then) try to close the gap, then fire if they can.

TIP: Your buccaneers can move one square, then fire. So, they can attack while in retreat. Your infantry cannot. But, the idea here isn't to salvage as many troops as possible (which is still important to attempt). It's like a sacrifice bunt in baseball.

This is literally a footrace. Your entry relies initially on not being seen. It's sometimes possible to move your flying wing entirely under cover and undetected. If they ARE detected, you'll usually be behind their lines, and they have to chase you...TOWARD the gate.

I've won this way at my 200 crewmen against the opposition's 500 soldiers. Having a good sense of how to fight an enforced retreat is important here. There's a lot of improvisation, and your moves should be calculated turn-by-turn, by careful examination of the route of retreat, and consideration of the opposition's line of attack with regard to terrain.

The most powerful attack, by the way, is downhill from the rear. That is 5, 2x, 2x.
Seaman

2709 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gliderpilot wrote:
Does anyone know how to force a city, town etc to give the option of attacking? I've captured shipping of a place's nation right outside and then sailed right into harbour, which is a bit annoying as I need to strengthen my nation.

Do not bombard a city from sea. That lowers the potential loot when you do attack.

Simply land your pirates on a beach near the target town, and walk towards your target.

When entering town on foot, you are given the option to walk straight in (it's the same as if you were peacefully putting into port), sneak in (missions), or you can attack the town.

Just be sure that you land your party far enough away from the port. Sometimes I've tried putting my pirates on the beach next to the port, and the game considered it as my intention to sail in and make berth (which meant sailing back out again, a potentially costly mistake if your crew in mutinous and some of them desert prior to your invasion attempt).
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cities that cannot be accessed by land, you can normally anger the town by destroying any ship (except governor's ships) that comes close to the town.
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: What difference does it make? Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
You deploy your forces..............

I've used this method to attack Montalban's hide out with only 80 men (two units) and have won.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strategy is pretty much just to cower in the woods and pick them off. I find that attacking them is just pointless, let them come to you so you can pick the ground. Flank attack whenever possible, if necessary using another unit as a distraction to make them turn the other way.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, neat
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
wigquig
Powder Monkey

31 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Attacking Towns Reply with quote

I am playing a Journeyman level game. I have reached a standstill. No matter how much I annoy a town into attacking me, I cannot attack the town by land. I have tried anchoring next to the town and waling in, as well as putting into port. although the towns will not trade with me, attack me from the sea, and send pirate hunters after me, I still cannot attack the towns. Any suggestions?

I have thought about starting a new game at a harder level but am wondering if there is a limit to how many times you can divide the plunder before being forced to retire or if you are only forced to retire starting in apprentice mode.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Attacking Towns Reply with quote

wigquig wrote:
I am playing a Journeyman level game. I have reached a standstill. No matter how much I annoy a town into attacking me, I cannot attack the town by land. I have tried anchoring next to the town and waling in, as well as putting into port. although the towns will not trade with me, attack me from the sea, and send pirate hunters after me, I still cannot attack the towns. Any suggestions?

I have thought about starting a new game at a harder level but am wondering if there is a limit to how many times you can divide the plunder before being forced to retire or if you are only forced to retire starting in apprentice mode.
If you walk in you can attack the town. On foot means not by sail.

If you have the patch you may not be able to attack a town after you have already converted it once.

Who divides the plunder?
wigquig
Powder Monkey

31 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Little Bear. I appreciate it.
millerman67
Powder Monkey

78 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like to start out with at least 25-30 more men than the city does. Then using the high ground,cover and flanking tactics,it usually works out for me.
Buckaneer Rogers
Swabbie

474 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only advice I can give is to have your officers and pirates strike from woods to keep them protected, and to concentrate buccaneer fire on cavalry or anything that poses a significan risk. Also, if you can't beat em, try to out maneuver them by getting to the town gate, sure, you won't be able to put a new gob in place, but you get the gold, and isn' that all that really matters? Wink
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked thru the "Land Battles" Forum, we have no clear cut Sticky on how to attack cities, nor the stats and strategies. So, after reviewing this particular Topic, I deem it worthy of answering most, if not all of the basic questions regarding the topic at hand.

Thus, I proclaim this Topic Sticky'd!!!

Have an Army Day
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Something just occured to me...The screwy cavalry has relatively weak defence...So if you attack with simple pirates (flank and/or HIGH hills)...
- You be slaughtering them easily...
- One question: sometimes, you can walk/attack after the first attack...sometimes you can't.
- Wha' be it dependin' on?

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
TheSpanishRenegade
Cutthroat

1674 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I have seen your units get two moves/attacks per tun. But when you use the first move to walk into a wooded area, then you lose your second move. Other than that I can't think of anything that would "rob" you of your second move...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: