Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Attacking cities
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cp. Kain wrote:
- Something just occured to me...The screwy cavalry has relatively weak defence...So if you attack with simple pirates (flank and/or HIGH hills)...
- You be slaughtering them easily...

That's very true. Cavalry has an offense of 8, but their defense is only 4. Flank 'em with some pirates, and they're done.

Also, being in a forest cuts Cavalry's strength down to one-third. The absolute best place to turn horsies into glue is amidst the trees! Even a lowly group of Buccs can wipe out Cavalry in a forest, if you can give them a little help from hills and/or a flanking attack.

Cp. Kain wrote:
- One question: sometimes, you can walk/attack after the first attack...sometimes you can't.
- Wha' be it dependin' on?

With either patch, v1.01 or v1.02, you will often be unable to attack a city again after you replace the governor. Patch v1.01 simply disallows it altogether. Patch v1.02 will allow you to re-conquer a town that you've already conquered if an AI invasion fleet manages to capture it.

This change was made to prevent the "Duke of All Nations" strategy/exploit.

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- That's not what i meant. Sorry. Must be my accent Twisted Evil
- E.G.
- I have my officers attack with the first move. Then they seem to randomly can or can't use their second move...
- I presume it's moral that counts.

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is either the moral or the whole well-being of your unit. Perhaps it even depends on the difficulty of the first melee: if you beat a weak group of enemies, you get to use your second move to attack again...

Guesses all of them... Question
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- That may be it, as well...
- Wanna have fun?
- Put one pirate unit on a high hill near the bushes when fighting Monty...
- The stupid indians kept attacking it head-to-head while coming out from the bushes...4 units of axe-guys seemed to have "crashed" into them... Twisted Evil

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
jbsmith
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps if we built a large wooden badger,,

whats this?my tankard is Empty!must get more ALE!
Neon_Pirate
Powder Monkey

257 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Rather good tactic Reply with quote

Officers
Well having taken almost 50% of the carribean for the dutch and tking almost anything in site my best tactic is to first get your officers in to the trees.. sure they move slower but hey they dont take much dameg. always stay 2 spaces in so theres one forest between you and the feold that way the enmy inless its a weak indian unit cant reach you in one turnthen spot your target dash out from the side and get a flank attack.

pirates
pirates can offten provide a good distraction for your officers to sneak in and wreak havic but work the same way if not being used as a distraction

buccanears
the bucanear being weak must take advantage of the terrain place him behind some rock terrains and near some trees if possible as the rocks keep the ifantrys meele attack a bay and the trees provide cover when under fire but you should be the only one fireing
Remember that the buccanear can also double the ranged attack aswell all you need is to fire at the enemy from the side or back

and remember you still need a good group to win even with my tactic or else

how do i get my self into these messes
Dreadpirate Roberts
Powder Monkey

1084 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's useful to keep in mind that the enemy never considers waiting - thus you can always play a very defensive game and pick them off from good defensive positions
Dreadpirate Roberts
Powder Monkey

1084 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my last post on defensive fighting.

Try and force the enemy to round a corner of rocks before they can attack you. This gives you an excellent chance to fire on them for a while, reducing their morale. It's also a good chance the exploit the enemy's lack of patience:

Namely, when enemy units are moving and one of their comrades is in the way, they always choose to walk around them rather than wait until the next turn. Therefore when a large force is rounding a corner, they invariably swing very wide in an attempt to get around the corner, moving in a very inefficient manner and spreading out their forces a lot.

So a clever trick can be used here. When you've fired on the leading unit such that the next shot you take at him will cause him to flee, start firing on the unit behind him. Of course, you'll take some damage from the first unit, but seeing as he has already been greatly damaged, it will be a small amount. But the advantage of this is that the stronger unit behind the first will then be blocked from moving in to attack. At the worst, he will try and move around the first unit, at best he won't be able to get past the first unit and will have to sit there taking fire! It's a good way to slow down a large incoming force, especially when you only have a few buccaneers.
Eternal
Powder Monkey

320 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artillery appears to be taken out of the game. I've never seen it and I read a guide that says it is not in the game.

Anyway here's what I do
1: Whenever you get a chance flank
2: Take out gaurds first (use buccaneers)
3: Stay in the woods when you think the enemy will use ranged attack
4: Protect your elite pirates (if they run you don't win "completely"
5: Use ranged attacks as much as possible.
6: DON'T let anyone near your buccaneers.
7: Try to get buccaneers in the trees (the first row) or at worst behind rocks. An unprotected buccaneer is a dead buccaneer.
8: Remember that the AI seems to prefer using ranged attacks to straight out rushes.
9: Try to keep your buccaneers together so they can unload on a single target taking it straight out.
Valus
Powder Monkey

295 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put your buccaneers in the woods and you attack cavalry thats also in the woods it can happen that you win easily. thats because of the sharp knifes at the end of the buccaneers musket. they jave put this in game to as i had 12 buccaneers being attacked by cavalry with attack 8:3 against buccaneers with only 1 defense and they won.
sk8erkillinu
Swabbie

838 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that these work:
-always keep your pirates in under cover unless attacking
-soften the city up with Indian or pirate raids
-try to flank when ever possible
-buccaneers can NOT fire while in cover at least thats what i have found
-put your pirates up against the Indians and infantry let the buccaneers handle the guards and tougher units
-i have never seen artillery somebody please say something if they have Exclamation
i hope these work for you they work for me Smile
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your advice is sound, sk8er. If I'm short of men, and I decide that a city has to be weakened, I have no choice but to go to scurvy unprincipled rascally pirates, and wrathful natives with long memories...the city becomes weaker and poorer, but I gain a better chance to take it...

Quote:
-i have never seen artillery somebody please say something if they have

I've never seen it either. It was removed during development, I guess. The manual tells about artillery, but it's just an old pirates' tale...Wink

Flanking fire- all flank attacks- are my bread and butter. A head-on attack is often very risky, even under ideal conditions. It's hard to advance and get a flank attack; but if I back up, and place units in ambush, that works very well...

Buccaneers can fire while in the woods, but only if the target is not obscured by woods itself, or is in the next square, in woods or not...

I find cavalry to be thee most irritating enemy unit- because they can advance three squares, and have am attack strength of 8 in the open. They can swiftly attack my formations as I set them up. I usually find myself hiding in the woods more often- and being more concerned about defending my buccaneers- when I see cavalry units.

The most annoying thing about land battles is how slow the units move!
Marius Dobrique
Powder Monkey

162 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a more experienced lubber be so kind as to explain the difference in organizing some Indians or some other Pirates into attacking a town?

To me it seems as if when Indians attack a town they decrease the number of populace of said city, while when Pirate raiders attack the town they seem to decrease the wealth of said city.

Do both also decrease the number of soldiers in the town's garrison? Are Indians more effective in wiping out soldiers than pirates, since to me it seems as if Indians focus on attacking the people in the town, while pirates are after the gold?

In land battle terms, to me it seems as if Indians go for the "kill all soldiers" tactics, while th epirates go for the "backdoor assault" tactic in assaulting a town.

By the way, as previously said, if you wish to attack a town that has a lot of soldiers in its garrison, it is sometimes useful to ask some Indians and pirates to attack the city first (if you only wish to conquer the town). If you're after the ransom, it is better to send Indians.

So, if anyone took some more detailed notes about the difference between these two groups attacking a town, pray, stand and deliver 'em here!

Also, what exactly happens when an enemy Invasion Force attacks a city and they dont manage to win? Does the number of soldiers and wealth of the city decrease on an unsuccessful attack by an Invasion force?
Captain Riddle
Swabbie

2171 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, failed AI attacks of any type are far more likely to reduce the garrison than successful ones, but will not affect population or wealth. Native attacks are the best choice for softening up a target because they do not lower the wealth level and can actually increase the wealth rating of the town because it takes less to make a smaller town wealthier.

Packman4
Powder Monkey

173 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonce attacked a cavary with my bucaneeres and won!!!!!!????? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: