Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

I cant dance
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Dancing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

do you dance ?
yes
60%
 60%  [ 61 ]
no
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
yes, but not very good
28%
 28%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 101

Swordeater
Seaman

2009 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bllasae wrote:
Dave the Knave wrote:
Asclepius wrote:
In my current adventure, I'm a Duke for all 4 Nations, married to the Beautiful Daughter of the Governor of Petite Goave...

Aye, and it's odd how you are only allowed to visit her when her father is present...as if you can't be alone with your own wife at any time...why is that? Is a chaperone really necessary any more?

Wow, I never actually thought of that before.

We're in the 17th century^^

Also, why can't we get one of those barmaids instead? Complete with the adult barmaids skins from the other Pirates! site, you'll get closer to her than you'll ever get to your own freaking wife!! Laughing
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're in the 17th century^^

Aye, the game is set in the 17th century. I don't believe that married couples needed chaperones then, either.

In fact, if you happen to read 17th-century advice for couples, you would find the concepts surprisingly modern and wise.

The idea that people of earlier ages were entirely inhibited or repressed is false...like many prejudices about the past.

Look at some of our chaotic relationships today- who are we to scorn past generations?

Human nature is the same, so therefore the good principles are still the same, too.

Quote:
...why can't we get one of those barmaids instead?
Maybe because they can't dance?
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The idea that people of earlier ages were entirely inhibited or repressed is false...like many prejudices about the past.

Look at some of our chaotic relationships today- who are we to scorn past generations?

Human nature is the same, so therefore the good principles are still the same, too.

Aye to that, Dave. Think of the open affair of Lord Nelson for one famous example.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think of the open affair of Lord Nelson for one famous example.

Aye...and Lady Hamilton was much past her prime by then, as well. And married to someone else...just as was Nelson. But strange things happen, don't they?

If Trafalgar had been a British defeat, Nelson might well have been scorned by society.

Since Britain won the battle, and Nelson perished in his finest hour, his sins were very readily forgiven...and he became an revered icon- not of marital fidelity, of course, but a symbol of Britain's naval glory!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inhibited and inconsistent attitudes toward sex did not come from the Middle Ages or from the Puritans. Rather, they came from the Victorians, long after the Age of Piracy.
The Blonde Pirate
Swabbie

806 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can dance even without the boots, but I always try to get them just in case. And I have not tried the harder levels.....yet. I still play journeyman, still learnin' me fellows.
whizzo
Powder Monkey

72 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm quite good at dancing, if i may say so myself. at least, i was on my old desktop.... not so sure now, on my laptop.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Inhibited and inconsistent attitudes toward sex did not come from the Middle Ages or from the Puritans. Rather, they came from the Victorians, long after the Age of Piracy.

There was a time when piano legs were covered, or legs referred to as limbs in literature...it was very foolish...

And yet, Queen Victoria, whose name is evoked as the Monarch of Prudes, was hardly a prude herself...

"What a dreadful going to bed," she mourned after her husband, Prince Albert's, death in 1861. "What a contrast to that tender lover's love."

Freud sought to battle some misconceptions (or maybe he was just an odd little man in love with his mother?). Whatever his motives, Freud's biggest contribution to psychology was his pointing out that sexuality is a very important part of human identity.

The problem with sexuality is not its existence, but its misuse. When it it used to humiliate, manipulate, or otherwise exploit or even destroy someone's self-esteem and identity as a person, that is wrong.

When "Judeo-Christian morals" are cited as inhibition, an objective study of the Bible reveals that selfishness, not sex itself, is the cause of much unhappiness and trouble.

Today, we still have very inconsistent attitudes. It seems that we go to one extreme from the other sometimes. Being more mature about it would keep us from overreacting one way or the other...not seeing it as our only way of finding proper identity would assist in that progress.
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear God No! I totally SUCK at dancing (both in the game AND in real life)! Laughing

Sadly, I would have it on Journeyman, not because of the tougher fencing or sea battles, but because of the dancing! That BLOODY dancing!

Of course, I've put it up on higher levels, but I don't do the dancing. I just "make a hasty retreat" so I don't have to dance! Razz

By the way, where is the orchestra? You're dancing to the music, but the band is nowhere to be seen. You see all 4 walls (as you're dancing) but no orchestra. Yes. Yes. I know. I know. "It's just a game"...
Big Dog Barque
Powder Monkey

124 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can, but it's not good enough to brag about...

Hmmm. Music with no one playing? I never thought of it, but it's kind of creepy! Shocked
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Falcon wrote:
Oh Dear God No! I totally SUCK at dancing (both in the game AND in real life)! Laughing

Sadly, I would have it on Journeyman, not because of the tougher fencing or sea battles, but because of the dancing! That BLOODY dancing!

Of course, I've put it up on higher levels, but I don't do the dancing. I just "make a hasty retreat" so I don't have to dance! Razz

By the way, where is the orchestra? You're dancing to the music, but the band is nowhere to be seen. You see all 4 walls (as you're dancing) but no orchestra. Yes. Yes. I know. I know. "It's just a game"...

I hate Dancing - real life - and virtual
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being on good terms with the governors is the biggest thing that differentiates a privateer from a pirate. As a self-identified privateer, I do what it takes to stay on good terms with governors, including entertaining their daughters - even the "rather plain" ones - on the dance floor. Schmoozing with the ruling class is all in a day's work for a successful privateer.

It's gratifying to know that the young ladies will tell the story for the rest of their lives about the evening they danced with the notorious Duke Roland, back when he was a mere admiral. Meanwhile, I get to enjoy the fruits of their gratitude in the form of rare items, valuable tips, and faster promotions.

This all makes dance lessons a good investment of time and effort.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Real Life - we all hope it works like this :

Roland wrote:

It's gratifying to know that the young ladies will tell the story for the rest of their lives about the evening they danced with {insert name here}

This all makes dance lessons a good investment of time and effort.
OneoftheLost
Powder Monkey

30 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleck! I'd hate to necro this thread, but its a valid question and one that needs answering.

I'm actually almost ok at dancing. I've learned the signals, now I just need to be faster in doing the moves when they are chained one after the other. I don't enjoy the mini-game at all, but the music is nice, and I'm ever so slowly getting the hang of it.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneoftheLost wrote:
Bleck! I'd hate to necro this thread, but its a valid question and one that needs answering.

I'm actually almost ok at dancing. I've learned the signals, now I just need to be faster in doing the moves when they are chained one after the other. I don't enjoy the mini-game at all, but the music is nice, and I'm ever so slowly getting the hang of it.

My Comment still stands : I hate Dancing - real life - and virtual.

Having said that - I have Pirates on the I-PAD - the touch interface actually helps with the dancing - and there is a new mini game for attacking ports.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: