Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

What's the point in attacking cities ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarious
Swabbie

17 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routerhead wrote:
Captain Squid wrote:
Also watch for notification that an invasion attempt by another nation has just failed. This will often leave the city's defenders well below normal troop strength, and you can follow up with an easy victory. This also works for cities that have just been conquered, but conquest leaves most towns dirt poor, so it isn't often worth it - I have actually recieved 0 gold for sacking a just-conquered city.

One thing I do is visit nearby Pirate and Native villages and get them to attack the city. Once they do, I follow up with my boys and have an easy time of it!

Its a good strategy to use expecailly if they have 500 soliders(which is a huge load of pirates to get to stand a chance).

Most the time 1 pirate fleet can take out about 50-100+ soldiers making it an extremely easy battle to go in and take the city.
Cagekeeper
Swabbie

1000 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a historical sidenote

CGM3 wrote:

Historically, that's a pretty accurate assessment of the situation.

In the 17th Century, Spain considered all of the New World, except for Brazil, to be its rightful property. I think it was the Vatican that had divided the "newly discovered lands" between Spain and Portugal (which got Brazil); in any event, the other European nations were less than thrilled with that decision, and pretty much ignored it as they made their own settlements.

Spain, which had the headstart in the Caribbean, naturally viewed all the interlopers as claimjumpers and invaders, and tended to treat them as such. The new colonists soon resented the Spanish attitude -- and envied the rich Spanish cities -- which made New Spain "fair game".

Upon returning to Spain in 1493 after his first voyage, Christopher Columbus contacted Pope Alexander VI (a Spaniard by birth) to report his discoveries. Acting as the great European arbiter of the day, the pope then issued a bull (decree) that divided the New World lands between Spain and Portugal by establishing a north-south line of demarcation 100 leagues* west of the Cape Verde Islands. Undiscovered non-Christian lands to the west of the line were to be Spanish possessions and those to the east belonged to Portugal.

News of this decision was not warmly greeted by the Portuguese, who argued that previous agreements conflicted with the pope's decision.

In the spring of 1494, representatives of Spain and Portugal met in the Spanish town of Tordesillas and negotiated a mutually satisfactory solution to their dispute. The line of demarcation was relocated to a position 370 leagues west of the Cape Verde Islands. (It was impossible during this age to determine precisely the impact of this agreement on account of the nagging difficulty of establishing longitude accurately.) However, Portugal emerged with an enhanced position by gaining a larger portion of South America (Brazil). Even with this modification, Spain had gained control (on paper) of most of the New World.

The pope granted his official recognition of this agreement in 1506. Spain and Portugal, with a few exceptions, remained loyal to the terms of the treaty; the Portuguese would expand deep into Brazil beyond the demarcation line, but Spain did not object. The natives of these regions, needless to say, were not consulted about the assignment of their homelands to others and competing powers in Europe totally ignored the line.

For years following 1494, the Spanish lamented their consent to the treaty, convinced that they had received the short end of the stick. Their initial discoveries in the New World yielded little mineral wealth, but much disease and discomfort. Their evaluation of this bargain with Portugal changed dramatically in the 1520s as the riches from Aztec Mexico began to be exploited.

In the Treaty of Zaragoza (1529), the demarcation line was extended through both poles and encompassed the entire world.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, neat
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Petro

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Another Reason Reply with quote

One of the best reasons I have found is precisely the one orginally mentioned; it helps when one is a Duke, Marquis or Count to have a port of the nation(s) that granted the title. Starting at Count, ship repairs are free and once a Duke, any available upgrades are free. It makes economic sense once one is ready to sell a ship to upgrade and repair her for free, thus getting a hike in the resale value.
chephy
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it because it's fun! It's my favourite part of the game, actually. Especially when my pirate gets old and can't fence any more (on Swash)...
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it for the fame, the golds and yes... more golds.
Buckaneer Rogers
Swabbie

474 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's the point in attacking cities ? Reply with quote

robert wrote:
I dont see the point in attacking cities:
- gain is pretty small (a few thousands)
- you ned a large crew and then have hapiness problems

I sometimes see a point tactically (having cities of a given nation in a remote location)

Please give me your opinions and why you thinck it is important to take over cities.

Gain can be substantial (most I've gotten is around 10k), but the best reason is to convert them to another faction. What I do is get a large crew, and even if they're upset, a number of them die in the attack, so problem solved!
GreyFox
Swabbie

663 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good thing about changing a city's governor is that,if you
change it into,let's say,a Dutch governor,and you have maxed out
your rank with them,you can then just get ship repairs,recruit men,and get
upgrades for virtually no cost at all.
This can be handy if you are deep in an enemy nation's territory,as
you can always stop by after combat.
WhiteHawk
Swabbie

140 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well generally, the bigger the city, the more money you get. I once captured a really big city and for a good while, that was all the money I needed to live. Besides the fact that if you speak to the governor of the city you installed, there are good odds that he will mention a possible promotion. I like promotions. Very Happy
Oh, that and the fact that I really like the Dutch, and I want them to have almost every town around. And I think the fat french captains deserve an ass-kicking, sometimes because some remind me of that fat-ass captain in the ship you start with, when the game begins, on the mutiny part. Wink
Lord of The Sea
Swabbie

227 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routerhead wrote:
I do it for 2 reasons:

1. I get damn tired of chasing Baron Raymondo when he's over in the Yucatan cities -- Vera Cruz, Villa Hermosa, and Campeche. It takes forever to sail there. If they aren't Spanish, he won't go there.

2. You earn lots of favor with the other countries, especially if they are at war with Spain, and gives you more places to land after you do "good things" for that country. For me, one problem is that I spend a lot of time in the western Caribbean, and as a result my visits to Dutch cities can be few and far between. Well, install the Dutch in, say, Santa Catalina and you'll be more able to pop in and get promoted.

I always capture all the spanish cities EXCEPT Vera Cruz,Villa Hermosa and Campeche.Because if you leave only those for the spaniards then Montalban and the gang will only sail between these three cities.Try it,it's a really good strategy.Hunting for Lost City and other maps will be much earsier.
jbsmith
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other point is this,
To capture the port and give your self a friendly port in otherwise
hostile territory.
Tis good to have a place to go to nearby for repairs,and sell loot.
Azlat
Swabbie

2010 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that when you take a city, you gain a bunch more favor with the country that you install. Especially if you have really pissed them off in the past. Taking ships gives you favor, but sacking a town and installing a new guvner always seems to be a bit higher. I like doing it all along the Spanish Main because now I have friendly porst to dock in and repair.

This works especially well with the Dutch and English as they routinely have few ports. Normally I mess with the Spanish shipping lanes, and then attack a town, and place one of the other countries as a guvner. Once that is done, I talk to the Guvner, and POOF!! Promotion, meet the daughter, get the dance, gather an item or a peice of map (depending on rank and daughter beauty). All in all sounds like a good trade off to me. Plus if you are taking on a large force, you thin out your crew and they get happier.

Break forth cutlasses and pistols men, and remember the hell that forged you!!

YARR!!
Random Number Generator
Powder Monkey

118 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaxonWaxov wrote:
Personally, I wish you could destroy Vera Cruz, etc.

Sack the town, burn all the buildings, salt the fields, kill the men, rape the women, eat the children, THAT would be a good patch!

ROFL that would be the best patch in the world... It would be like in Civilization were you could raize cities instead of just sacking them. Another advantage: Having a steady supply of sex slaves would keep your piratey crew happy for a loooooooooooooooooooonnnnngggggggggg time rofl.

Then again, I suppose we can't get to realiztic... or you might as well just assemble that time-macine-in-a-box you have sitting in your basement collecting dust and go back to the 16th century and start your own pirate crew!

Me? I would blow my college fund on several Howitzers before I left... FEAR ME! 20th century weapons in the 16th century! Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord of The Sea wrote:
I always capture all the spanish cities EXCEPT Vera Cruz,Villa Hermosa and Campeche.Because if you leave only those for the spaniards then Montalban and the gang will only sail between these three cities.Try it,it's a really good strategy.Hunting for Lost City and other maps will be much earsier.

Alternately, try capturing all of the Spanish cities except for Maracaibo and Gibraltar. That makes it even easier to hunt down those darned EVIL villains....

By the way: This might be obvious to most of you, but "all of the Spanish cities" in the above strategy does not need to include the cities that cannot be reached by water. You can leave Puerto Principe, Gran Granada, and Panama alone for the entire game.

Unless you really want their gold, that is.... Greedy

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what cities does Baron Raymondo go to? I need to find him, and he is apparently near St.Augustine, which I went to and he wasn't there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: