Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Which sword do you use and why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which sword do you use and why?
Rapier
68%
 68%  [ 114 ]
Longsword
17%
 17%  [ 29 ]
Cutlass
13%
 13%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 166

fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use a longsword in the beginning, but as I age I switch to cutlass, so I don't get chopped up by some young whippersnapper with a rapier.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my trusty rapier, for that extra speed Smile
Dirk Struan
Seaman

2440 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
I always go for the rapier, unless my stupid USB mouse glitches and I click on some other sword by mistake...

The reason?

Well, just look at those old pictures in the articles written by the old masters. Just how cool are these guys to risk injury and horrible wounds fighting naked!?

(ok, ok, they did not really do that. Just makes one wonder about the artists...)

Ok, the real reason is the quick attack and the mere coolness of the said weapon.

Nice pic from everyone's favorite sword-scholar! Cappo Fera's manual is it? Twisted Evil
roddrip
Powder Monkey

1203 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive recently warmed to the cutlass. Sure, its harder to use, but there is a certain amount of skill involved in ducking/parrying/ jumping then retaliating with my advantage. I just get a bigger kick out of frustrating the opponent with defending and taunting.

The cutlass is the weapon which separates the men from the boys, a true cutthroats prefered choice tool, and i use it when my pirate is young and fast. Then I use the rapier when he is old and slow.

Did you all know the cutlass was invented by buccaneers to cut up pigs they killed while on an island near cuba (where they had been forced to go because of their crimial deeds), but it eventually was found to be profiecient at carving up people as well, and became the buccaneers of the carribean's trade mark weapon.

I find that military captains (of warships) prefer the rapier when you fight them, and trade captains use the longsword, and other pirates use the cutlass of course.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Struan wrote:
Nice pic from everyone's favorite sword-scholar! Cappo Fera's manual is it? Twisted Evil

It is, indeed. Wink

I truly wish they had included rapier and dagger style of fighting in Pirates! since that would have been more "to the period", but...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Apache
Powder Monkey

51 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rapier, for the obvious reasons (speed).

Tried the others, and didn't like them.

Which is weird, 'cuz in the Old Game I used the cutlass exclusively due to the massive damage it inflicted.

Decoupling damage from sword type is a bad idea, IMO. Maybe later on they can add a patch that has cutlass hits knocking you/your opponent back farther, and rapiers knocking you/him back less?

Just a thought.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I need to change my previous post: I now use th erapier much more frequently, the cutlass almost never, and the longsword on occasion.

DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the rapier almost exclusively. A couple of times I've tried the cutlass to get an extra "piratey" feeling, but it's so darn slow compared to the rapier I get hit a couple of times whereas I never get hit with the rapier. I don't think the cutlass has any advantage when it comes to defense, I think the rapier is working just fine in that area too. I've played as high as Rogue level, swordfights are my bread and butter due to the flagship and sea battle tactis I use (need I say what kind of ship I use? Bah...!), and so far the rapier has given me a definite edge over my opponents.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go for the rapier. Using the same kind of ship Drbeast uses, I need the fastest sword, so I can finish fighting quick and without too many losses of my own crew or I'll have to row my 'ship' on my own I think. Wink
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, using the rapier is my homage to Jimmy the Hand (yep, THIS Jimmy the Hand, from the Magician novel). Wink
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the cutlass lets you perform the counterattacks more often, when you do a defensive move and it attacks automatically coming out of it. I can use it and not get hit, but the tactics have to change. Block, thrust, block, thrust, etc...

Bloody William Flint
Swabbie

207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Which sword do you use and why? Reply with quote

i use the Long sword Balinced cus i like how it looks with the part that gose around your hand like a cutlass but its easyer to use then the Ctuless is at lease to me it is i lost more times then won when i used the cutlass
Westley_Roberts
Iron Guts

10339 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should post to this poll, seeing as how I'm an honorary member of the Cult of the Pollmeister(r)

I use the Rapier almost always. I say that because I have tried out the others, and found the rapier to be the best all arounder. It's quick, agile, blocks effectivly, and man, perform a block, then a foot sweep, that's two steps back my friend !! wanna go for 2 more???

Have an Army Day
Cap'n Tiger
Powder Monkey

509 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rapier. My strategy is to defeat the other guy as quickly as possible. The way I see it, if the other captain is in the water or his clothes are on fire, he can't be swinging at me!

Reading some of these posts about the light weight of the rapier does have me thinking, it appears after some blocked swings or parrys, my rapier is deflected pretty far and my recovery is negatively impacted. It seems my timing is worse and worse.

Am I delusional or is the rapier "deflected" more when fighting heavier swords?
Michael Mathews
Powder Monkey

14 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longsword, all the way!

Nice balance in speed and defense.
When I started I just kept trying to get to the attack first and kept getting my butt kicked until I got good at defense.

Now I'll jump, duck or parry a few times until they get dizzy and then I just stomp em'.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: