Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Why the heck can't I have horse units?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Why the heck can't I have horse units? Reply with quote

There's no reason you couldn't haul horses on your ship.

I think it's a bunch of crap.
Trazom
Powder Monkey

78 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Why the heck can't I have horse units? Reply with quote

WaxonWaxov wrote:
There's no reason you couldn't haul horses on your ship.

I think it's a bunch of crap.

Horses! Horses take up to much space, no room for me spanish gold matey!
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, you could bring horses, but actually transporting (alot) of horses by ship back in those days wasn't a simple matter. After all, most of the ships you would use as pirate ships aren't really made for transporting large amounts of goods.

Sloops, Brigs and Frigates are all warships, and those are not really suited for transporting horses. Maybe if you used Flutys or Galleons, it might make sense to transport horses.... but they would take up alot of cargo space, especially when you include the feed too Wink
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what I've read, horses are notoriously bad sailors. They tend to panic when the sea is rough (not surprising, considering they're usually below decks in stalls with no idea what's going on), and even in good weather they're restless. Then there's the problem of loading and unloading the poor beasts, usually by improvised hoists... and the horses weren't very cooperative.

And finally, in the immortal words of Bill Cosby: "Have you looked in the bottom of that boat? Who's gonna clean that up? Not me!" Laughing
Dread777
Powder Monkey

103 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides all that they leave smelly presents all over below decks. I have enough trouble keeping my crew happy as it is now. Imagine if you throw horses into the mix.
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know.

It's just that cavalry units piss me off (expect for the group of them I caught in the tress earlier today Twisted Evil )
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way I've found to handle cavalry units is to have your buccaneers shoot them as many times as possible before they reach you. You do have to remember that they move 3 squares at a time, though. After being hit with a couple of rounds of rifleshot, though, they are more vulnerable.

I generally try to make sure the buccaneers get a couple shots at them (preferably from behind a set of rocks that the horses have to run around to get to them), then have a regiment of pirates ready to attack them. If you can do a flank attack, they're mincemeat.

One thing I noticed about the Indians, too, is that they move 2 squares even when they go through bushes... which I guess makes sense, but I still don't have to like it.

Thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings up another issue that I have. The only enemy units that don't have a ranged attack are the calvary and scouts. Most pirates carried both pistols and swords. This would give them a ranged attack.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This brings up another issue that I have. The only enemy units that don't have a ranged attack are the calvary and scouts. Most pirates carried both pistols and swords. This would give them a ranged attack.

au contraire, mon fraire... I've had the scouts stand and shoot arrows at my guys and do some pretty decent damage. You even hear the "swishing" of the arrows through the air.

thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
au contraire, mon fraire... I've had the scouts stand and shoot arrows at my guys and do some pretty decent damage. You even hear the "swishing" of the arrows through the air.

Are you sure they weren't archers ??? There are two types of indians: scouts (melee only) and archers (ranged attack)
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst encounter I ever had with cavalry was when I didn't even know they were on the field until they swept out of the woods and scattered my officers, then decimated a band of pirates. Fortunately, I had three squads of buccaneers positioned to shoot them, and another group of pirates to mop them up, but it turned what should have been an easy victory (and probable installation of a new governor) into a "mere" sack.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure they weren't archers ??? There are two types of indians: scouts (melee only) and archers (ranged attack)

hmmm... good point. I never even noticed that there were two kinds of Indian groups. Besides, whoever heard of calling Indians "Archers"?

thedon
WaxonWaxov
Cutthroat

2424 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGM3 wrote:
(and probable installation of a new governor) into a "mere" sack.

If you attack a city and it doesn't let you instate a new Governor, leave town, then turn aroudn and attack again.

The town's militia will be reduced significantly.

On either this second try, or a third try you'll get the thing where you go straight to the Captain of the Guard (fencing duel) afterwards you can instill a new governor if that's you're intent.

So basically, keep attacking. You'll get to put a new governor in eventually.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's good to know.
thedon
Striker
Gunner

680 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaxonWaxov wrote:
CGM3 wrote:
(and probable installation of a new governor) into a "mere" sack.

If you attack a city and it doesn't let you instate a new Governor, leave town, then turn aroudn and attack again.

The town's militia will be reduced significantly.

On either this second try, or a third try you'll get the thing where you go straight to the Captain of the Guard (fencing duel) afterwards you can instill a new governor if that's you're intent.

So basically, keep attacking. You'll get to put a new governor in eventually.

Unless, of course, your wife is in residence. You cannot convert the town that your wife lives in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: