Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Why the heck can't I have horse units?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chephy
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you attack the cavalry first! They are not that good in defence and pathetic in the woods. In the last while not a single cavalry unit managed to attack me first...
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally... I would love to have the calvary... Especially after having to play Age of Empire II and Empire Earth prior to that... I think having something with high mobility definitely would improve the land battle odds.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With cavalry you'll be able to reach the town gates without any problems, which would kinda make land battle redundant.
Unless of course the enemy had ARTILLERY, which would make land battle impossible. Smile

oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
With cavalry you'll be able to reach the town gates without any problems, which would kinda make land battle redundant.
Unless of course the enemy had ARTILLERY, which would make land battle impossible. Smile

Not exactly... The old artillery cannons take so damn long to get ready and fire... the calvary would have already reached the enemy line... if not shot by arrows Smile
NASSAU
Seaman

4819 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it would sure be nice to have some horse units.

Quinton
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only person who would prefer units that can walk normally in forests instead of cavalry? If I had cavalry that would force me to do a completely offensive strategy and I would have to avoid forests like a plauge. At least it would be easier to reach the city gates provided there are no darned forests in the way.
NASSAU
Seaman

4819 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't make a break for the gate ,I prefer to drive the enemy off the field and,stroll through the gate.The enemy ai only knows how to attack in a close proximity,all out frontal attack.Even when it does try to turn your flank,they will often leave themselves open for the same.
I generally,start in the far corner on the highground,giving priority to my buccaneer units,the most important,and most vulnerable of ground units.I then anchor each flank,with pirates on the high ground,preferably in trees,and the extra officer unit,which I've made into cavalry,facing the side closest to the enemy.This makes a tight v with bucs in back,and sets up a killing ground four spaces in front.Even better if you can set up a single file approach through rocks.Either way its a long uphill charge into gunfire for the enemy.Then it's 'defeat in turn',bucs concentrating fire one approaching unit at a time,while the flank units scream off the hill,to finish off whats left.I use the officers to repel any units that get to close to my bucs,and useally to deliver the coupe de gras.
The ai will send one unit after another,if set up right its just a turkey shoot,I fight between a little over enemy strenght,and as low as half his strenghth,and never lose(not save and never-just never)and I sack between 35-45 cities per game.Now if I could only dance.
ps thanks for the complement on the other post.
brandyblue
Seaman

60 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its already been pointed out that transport and storage would make cavalry impractical for pirates. Training is another important matter. Sailors would not normally be good horsemen because they could not practise cavalry manovers at sea. The horses themselves would need training too, or they would just run away as soon as they heard firing or got involved in a fight. Proabably it would be hard to find a good supply of battle trained horses in the Carribean, and hard to capture them from enemies (fleeing cavalry can escape too easily) and hard to train them unless you are willing to commit to a long spell ashore. Even if you had trained riders and horses, you would have to stop ashore very often to exercise the horses and keep them in good shape. In short, there are good reasons why real pirates did not use cavalry.

Anyway, I think that the speed of enemy cavalry (and of Indians in the woods) is an advantage to you, not to them. It makes it easier for them to rush ahead of the main body of the enemy. You can knock them out with concentrated musket fire before the enemy infantry can arrive to support them.

"Guards! Guards!" by Terry Pratchett
Smiley the 13th
Powder Monkey

719 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I first saw cavalry my force was massacred because i underestimated its speed and 8 attack, but now I realize that as long as they are in the woods they turn out to be even worse defense wise than buccanneers. Their attack and defence is divided by 3 and they still get mauled by buccanneers so the way I see it they are the weak links in an army.

I do not think they would be used by pirates historically but even then I would not want them because I tend to use forests protection from musket fire and to leap out with pirates for flank attacks and being on the defense in Pirates is a lot better than the offense so cavalry would be a liability in the end.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I see enemy cavalry, I immediately place some advance units into the woods, and try to get my muskets in position where they can rake the enemy horse.

If the cavalry routs one of my units, I always have another unit hit them in the flank and defeat them. Like some of you, I always try to make the best use of woods for cover, elevation, musket range advantage, and especially flank attacks.

The biggest problem I have during land battles is watching how slowly my units move and arrive at the destination square.
Chiko
Seaman

273 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates in horses? that sounds interesting...
I mean, the idea seem unrealistic for me but it would be funny to play a mod with "horsedpirates" troops... at least just for fun! Smile
Dutchmans Bane
Powder Monkey

153 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaxonWaxov wrote:
So basically, keep attacking. You'll get to put a new governor in eventually.

Better yet, when you enter town, make sure to hire what crew you can in the tavern, so you can turn the city over to your desired nation with help of the city's own citizens! Very Happy

I just relish that irony...
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would anyone want cavalry units to use in this game? They're useless. All you need to do is rake them with a volley or two of fire from your buccaneers, then drive into their flank with either pirates or officers. Game over for them.
They can't do anything to anyone hidinging in trees either.
I suppose they're hell on troops out in the open, but as soon as I see that there is cavalry in the ranks of my enemies I head for the trees and get under cover, where they can't do a thing to me.
In reality, the horses would never last long on a ship and where would you find the room to exercise and train them?
In the game, could you imagine how much space they would take up in your hold? Won't even go into how much more space you'd need to take up to hold their fodder.
Ever fed a horse? Tried to take one on a boat?
I have done both. I wouldn't recommend it.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Blood wrote:
Why on earth would anyone want cavalry units to use in this game? They're useless.

Here's the upside: You can demote Montalban from cabin boy to stable boy and make him haul the manure up from the hold!
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm................
Now that you mention it, that would be kind of fun. Excited
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: