Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Cutlass Isle Guide: Gun & Rupert's Ballroom Dance School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Cutlass Isle Guide: Gun & Rupert's Ballroom Dance School Reply with quote

Many a pirate has been turned away from the dimly lit chambers of the governors' mansions merely because of their innate lack of coordination when it comes to taking the lady through the moves. But now Gun Pierson, the embodiment of charm and wit, has arrived to the Cutlass Isle with his sidekick, Rupertlittlebear, and together they are prepared to teach you the secrets of ballroom dancing.

We are proud to present, Gun Pierson & Rupertlittlebear's : Ballroom Dance School
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Booty Chaser
Powder Monkey

167 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Rhythm training? Reply with quote

The guide is very well done and I found it very informative even though I play the xbox version. But was disappointed that the "training" files for download was (a save game?) for the PC. I was actually hopeing for audio files of the songs, edited by emphasizing the beats. Would such a thing actually be helpful at all?

I'm not all too clear as to when is the correct beat to press the button. I've mostly been making the flourishes with a combination of following the music, watching her hand gestures (timing just a bit after she does them), and pressing the button twice. Most of the time it seems the correct beat would have to be between every measure; if that was the case, then it might be handy to actually have the sheet music heh
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was actually hopeing for audio files of the songs, edited by emphasizing the beats. Would such a thing actually be helpful at all?

Not really. There's often an emphasis in the music already, and it often falls on the first beat. You can also watch the other dancer's leg movements in between moves; they bounce up and down in time with the music.

I like the stuff in the guide, and am excited to try out the swashbuckler saves. I've never gotten to dance on swash, because I dislike the ship combat so much.

May I suggest that the strategy of watching for your partner's nods be added in there? I find it very helpful, and I didn't notice it mentioned.

EDIT: Dancing on Swashbuckler rocks! It's much more intense.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossaman wrote:
Dancing on Swashbuckler rocks! It's much more intense.

Yeah it's really "the real thing" Wink I'm always curious if i'm going to hear one of the rare songs when i dance on swashbuckler, and it's the only level where there is decent speed in the dancing Smile
WhiteHawk
Swabbie

140 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool "walktrough". Even tough I didn't really have any problems in dancing, it cleared up some minor things. I liked how most things you suggested were done the way I did them. Wink
RoboPig
Powder Monkey

9 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that the keypad trick is really helpful i was using 1 finger before, but the new keypad pattern is really, really, really helpful. thank you opposable thumbs!
GreyFox
Swabbie

663 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was already pretty good,but now I feel I know it all.
Belegorm
Swabbie

202 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part about where to put your fingers on the keypad was really helpful, and now, most of the time on Journeyman, I get the embrace.
However, the guide said to use the thumb for the #2 key, while I found it a lot easier, and more natural, to keep the middle finger on the #5 key, and use it for both #8 and #2.
I've also discovered that double-hitting the keys lets me get a lot more flourishes.
Anyway, great guide!
Maybe it'll be on my headstone...
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful information, although I'd mastered the Dance long before I found this Forum.
Worship
The only thing I could add to your information is what made it possible for me to be the Dancer that I am today.
Excited
Tap your toes, Tap your toes, and always Tap your toes.
I can't sing a lick, so this is how I keep up with the beat of the music.
Buddies
Buddies
Buddies
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is I just discovered this topic as I seldomly visit the dancing part of the forum. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I agree that adding the 'nods of your partner' info to the guide would be a good idea. Same goes for the bouncing of the legs info, that one is new to me and I'm looking forward to check that out. Anyway I hope 'Wolfwood' still has the original guide cause I lost mine. Confused
zandy
Powder Monkey

294 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arggh! Finally got around to reading that there guide last month, mate. Excellent booklet from the two o' ye! I was a Decent dancer before I read it, but I'm quite more confident now! Confused

Not only was she an informative book, it had its hints of humor, as most of these booklets seem to be ! Razz

Even if I'm not a strict dancer, as in I don't dance hardly at all. Still, nice guide! Sailor
prideassassin
Swabbie

89 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: er... Reply with quote

I don't see a guide. Dancing is easy anyway. Especially with the items. Just double tap the key when she lifts her arm(s) all the way. The only one I don't flourish on every time is the very last move, where my framerate drops horribly.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: er... Reply with quote

prideassassin wrote:
I don't see a guide.
its still right there in the guide section
http://hookedonpirates.com/guide/dancing/index.html
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belegorm wrote:
The part about where to put your fingers on the keypad was really helpful, and now, most of the time on Journeyman, I get the embrace.
However, the guide said to use the thumb for the #2 key, while I found it a lot easier, and more natural, to keep the middle finger on the #5 key, and use it for both #8 and #2.
I've also discovered that double-hitting the keys lets me get a lot more flourishes.
Anyway, great guide!

I use only three fingers, point finger on 4 (and 1), middle finger on 5 (and 8 and 2) and rign finger on 6 (and 3). I find you have enough time to move your fingers about, and this way you'll never get confused about where your fingers are at any given moment.

Actually, I think DJ Hero paid off, as you use the same three fingers in a similar way when you are scratching Wink

I'm not a big fan of double-hitting neither. It's true that you got two attempts at every step before the game punishes you, but it's much better to learn the beat and push the button at the right moment, in other words exactly at the on-beat or off-beat. This is very difficult to do consistent when double-hitting.

It takes some sense of rhythm to get both the rythm of the music and the rythm of the dance patterns right, but when you learn the patterns well, all you need to focus on is the music.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:
Belegorm wrote:
Anyway, great guide!

I use only three fingers, point finger on 4 (and 1), middle finger on 5 (and 8 and 2) and rign finger on 6 (and 3). I find you have enough time to move your fingers about, and this way you'll never get confused about where your fingers are at any given moment.

Actually, I think DJ Hero paid off, as you use the same three fingers in a similar way when you are scratching Wink

I'm not a big fan of double-hitting neither. It's true that you got two attempts at every step before the game punishes you, but it's much better to learn the beat and push the button at the right moment, in other words exactly at the on-beat or off-beat. This is very difficult to do consistent when double-hitting.

It takes some sense of rhythm to get both the rythm of the music and the rythm of the dance patterns right, but when you learn the patterns well, all you need to focus on is the music.

I've said it before - and I'll say it again - I hate Dancing
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: