Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

anyone ever play the old SSI rpgs ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: anyone ever play the old SSI rpgs ?? Reply with quote

I remember, years back, when SSI released those classic rpg's like:

Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn and
Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness.

I loved those games, sure they're primitive, and there's alot of hack-n-slash in them, but I just loved them.... even played COK half a year ago Razz
I wonder if there're other people here who enjoy(ed) these games ???
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: 400 and mounting Reply with quote

Nevah hoid uvvit. Is this too chincy for a 400th post?
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 400 and mounting Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
Nevah hoid uvvit. Is this too chincy for a 400th post?

Yes. Mr. Green

I played the Pool of Radiance/Curse of the Azure Bonds/Secret of the Silver Blades arc on my old Commodore C-64 with the same same party from start to finish. Had a human double-classed fighter/thief who took out Tyranthraxus in Azure Bonds by using a scroll to dimension door behind him, then backstabbing him for massive damage (he'd already been wounded by the spell-lobbers).

Good times.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked a few of the old SSI wargames on C64. My uncle owned a couple of them and whenever I visited, we would give them a go (after playing Pirates for hours, first).

AKA. Will Scarlett.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have read some dragon lance novels though....they are set on
krynn,,,,,
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played every one of those old AD&D games! Why in the world did you make that in to a post Kristian? It makes me miss the good old days and want to go find and reassemble my old 286 and start playing those games again. Laughing Laughing Laughing Mr. Green Mr. Green

P.S. a good post, it brings back fond memories! Smile
Powder Monkey

135 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes I played all the SSI RPG's back in those days. Most on my C-64c, right along with games from Microprose and EA (I think they were EOA back then) And of course Sids Pirates! on my C64 for hours on end!
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie wrote:
I played every one of those old AD&D games! Why in the world did you make that in to a post Kristian? It makes me miss the good old days and want to go find and reassemble my old 286 and start playing those games again. Laughing Laughing Laughing Mr. Green Mr. Green

P.S. a good post, it brings back fond memories! Smile

Hehehehe you ought to know by now, that I love torturing you with fond old memories Smile
Btw, if you have one of those "slow the computer down" programs, you can easily play these classics on a P4 2GHz machine.... that's what I have done Razz
I guess I love the turn based combat part 'cause it reminds me alot of playing rpg's for real Razz
SirMac
Swabbie

549 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES - I played ALL SSI RPG Games made for the C64 - and the Bard's Tale, Ultima, Wizardry and Might & Magic Series, too. Each end every one of them. I even bought the SSI Collectors Edition for PC but the fun was nothing compared to the old C64 games...

Oh man... long time ago...
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirMac wrote:
YES - I played ALL SSI RPG Games made for the C64 - and the Bard's Tale, Ultima, Wizardry and Might & Magic Series, too. Each end every one of them. I even bought the SSI Collectors Edition for PC but the fun was nothing compared to the old C64 games...

Oh man... long time ago...

Yeah, in some aspects those were good times Very Happy I'd not complain about the present either though Very Happy guess I'm one of those lucky guys huh ??? Mr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. Green
millerman67
Powder Monkey

78 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Pool of Radiance on C64,until original Pirates got me hooked.
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody's interested, there are a number of old DOS games "retro-fitted" to run under Windows XP that can be downloaded for free at http://www.abandonia.com/genre.php?genre=allgames&page=0

Among those available are Master of Magic, the original X-COM (as UFO - Unknown Enemy), and something called Pirates Gold Smile (without the !). Apparently, it's just a case of downloading the ZIP file, opening it into a directory, then creating a link to launch the program. Manuals in PDF files and JPG maps can also be found.
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played every single one of those games... and read just about every single AD&D books in that time period... The original Tracy Hickman and Magaret Weis series... and the Forgotten Realm series... (and the 2nd generation of Raistln's daughter and nephews...)...

Whatever happen to SSI? I haven't follow the game industry since I went to work for DEC 13 years ago... not until last year... (to my surprise... I became outdated...).

I bought a copy of Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor... and I was SO PISSED OFF... some of the hidden items were not even available... and SSI QA never came through before releasing the product... and their sustain team never came out with patch...

PISSED OFF SSI fan... Mad

But... the old games in the mid 80s to early 90's... they were GREAT.

I think the first maze game I played was a game name ZORK. Any one play that game in the earily/mid 80's? I believe that was the first true computer mazed like game.

Then... before I was introduced to the SSI game... There was "Seven Cities of Gold" on Commodore 64... That was a pretty good game too...
Starry
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing a non AD&D related SSI RPG, but for the life of me I don't know what it was called. You started...as...a guy accused of murder..on an island...yeah ain't that descriptive? It had dirks!
Starry
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There we are...Prophecy of the Shadow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: