Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Artillery ground unit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but in all the go ashore animations show the ship practically aground...

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Kristian95 wrote:
would it be comparatively easy to put them back in the game ???
Cyberops prob could.

Just so that you know.
The artillery was available to the nations, not to you.

I am aware of that Smile I'd just like to see how much more difficult the land battles would get.... either way I think only the largest cities would have them Smile
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Quote:
The artillery was available to the nations, not to you.

Whoa. Wait a minute. We might want to rethink this. But if they can have artillery, why can't we? Not the same as Calvary. That I can see.

Hehe...what do you think the "Ouch" was for? It's the enemy who has the goodies, not we pirates! Well I think it's good artillery is out of the game. It's a land battle, so unless the artillery pieces were set facing the inland I think it'd be quite time consuming to roll them out to deal with an intruder, whereas infantry and cavalry is more readily assembled.
ToeJoe
Powder Monkey

1607 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution is simple. We do not need artillery in ground battles. There should be an option to attack fort with ship, like in old times!!!
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeJoe wrote:
Solution is simple. We do not need artillery in ground battles. There should be an option to attack fort with ship, like in old times!!!

I have been for that option since I found out before beta they weren't including it. Sad

I say we sign a petition to get it added back in maybe in a nice expansion to download Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful what you wish for people. Remeber in the old days; If you didn't pound down the number of cannons in the fort before you ensued with a landbattle, the fort's cannons would rip you to shreds, and drive your men back.

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulture wrote:
Be careful what you wish for people. Remeber in the old days; If you didn't pound down the number of cannons in the fort before you ensued with a landbattle, the fort's cannons would rip you to shreds, and drive your men back.

I loved every bit of it... just think what swashbuckler level would look like now if we had that in the game ... PLEASE!!! Twisted Evil
The length of the game would also be extended when trying to sail against the wind and take down the fort before getting closer.. the fun that was involved and although it was supposed to be harder end up helping me get the Silver Train .. which I do miss also.. hmm Lets Add the original stuff from the original back in the game with an Expansion.. Who's with me Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of wish I could find a version of the original that would work on my computer, I'm not old enough to have played the first version. It sounds like it was even more fun than Sid's version is.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossaman wrote:
I kind of wish I could find a version of the original that would work on my computer, I'm not old enough to have played the first version. It sounds like it was even more fun than Sid's version is.

Original version was Sid's first creation... but it was definitely an era where you had to put more gameplay in to make up for the lack of graphics during the time.

To me too much eye candy and not enough gameplay. Granted this game definiteyl has gameplay but makes me wonder if the graphics overtook some more gameplay that could of been put into the game.
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
I loved every bit of it... just think what swashbuckler level would look like now if we had that in the game ... PLEASE!!! Twisted Evil
The length of the game would also be extended when trying to sail against the wind and take down the fort before getting closer.. the fun that was involved and although it was supposed to be harder end up helping me get the Silver Train .. which I do miss also.. hmm Lets Add the original stuff from the original back in the game with an Expansion.. Who's with me Question

I have no clue as to how to make an expansion, but I hope Sid listens to these wishes!! I definately am with you PiratesFan Very Happy
ToeJoe
Powder Monkey

1607 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossaman wrote:

If you want to try old pirates i recommend amiga version. I played it last year via emulator Winuae. It goes pretty good..... If you need additional info, pm me Very Happy
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The originals definitely were really good (especially for the era when they were released). If you can get your hands on a copy (with an emulator/slow down program) you'd have a lot of fun. There really isn't much different gameplay-wise between the originals and the remake (dancing being the main new feature), so it wouldn't take long to know how to play.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more KingWilly I think the one thing I will miss from the remake is that you can't see the ships in the original, and thus looting cities becomes a bit more important.... but of course, with a nice proper treasure fleet and silver train, that is fine with me Very Happy
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:
fossaman wrote:

Original version was Sid's first creation... but it was definitely an era where you had to put more gameplay in to make up for the lack of graphics during the time.

To me too much eye candy and not enough gameplay. Granted this game definiteyl has gameplay but makes me wonder if the graphics overtook some more gameplay that could of been put into the game.

I totally agree! Gameplay was what really mattered back then. Unfortunately, Sid took a turn toward better graphics than gameplay with this game. It's still fun, it's still addictive, but it's miles away from the original...
And I'm totally with you on your suggestions!
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alas I have to say I agree!! I wish they had made that extra effort on this game.... don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game.... but it could've become a true classic like the original!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: