Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Announce your promotion here...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Well, I could not resist. I sold the extra Ruby Ring I had and purchased a Ship of the Line. I lure girls by offering them jobs in my Tavern. I don't really need a ring. The SOTL I got so some of the men could smuggle in liquor, tobacco, good food and any new residents wanting to live here. It's a brand new ship that Captain Teague "Liberated" from the French for me!

Aye, them Frenchies be easy t' fight. Just fire at 'em and they surrender!
Very Happy
Sailor
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
Red Rabbit wrote:
Congratulations, Salty Dog! Keep that crew checked!

Here's a picture of a Boatswain in wikipedia (found it because had to check what it means):
It says it's from 1820. Wonder if there were any significant features in their appearance (e.g. hat, stripes, maybe that whistle) in the pirate times (1600-1700). I know pirates didn't care about that kinda stuff. Were there even Boatswains on pirate ships?

Off-topic: Was Long John Silver Captain Flint's Boatswain? What was his title? First Mate? (Maybe this would make a good question for the Trivia topic.)

BTW Salty Dog. Are you planning on to continue Cutlass Isle's Roleplaying story?
I have a couple of ideas but haven't yet started writing (because I'm too slow with English).

The Boatswain was in charge of overseeing the maintenance of the ship and its supply stores. He inspected the ship and its sails, cables, etc each morning and reported their state to the Captain. He was also in charge of all deck activities, including but not limited to dropping/weighing anchor and handling of the sails and rigging.

The Boatswain, or "B'osun" or " 'Swain " was also in charge of discipline. He made the cats for flogging, and he and his mates did the flogging. More often he and his mates delivered swift justice, or encouraged men to try harder, with a cuff on the ear, or a strike from a rattan cane or knotted rope which they normally carried. This saved a sailor from formal charges and floggings, which were bad for morale. These were typically large men.

I think that pirate ships, being rather democratic, had 1st, 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th mates, depending on crew size. Officers , and non commissioned officers such as boatswains were found in navies.

Strangely enough, the boatswain wasn't in charge of the ship's boats. The carpenter was!
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Well, I could not resist. I sold the extra Ruby Ring I had and purchased a Ship of the Line. I lure girls by offering them jobs in my Tavern. I don't really need a ring. The SOTL I got so some of the men could smuggle in liquor, tobacco, good food and any new residents wanting to live here. It's a brand new ship that Captain Teague "Liberated" from the French for me!

Aye, them Frenchies be easy t' fight. Just fire at 'em and they surrender!
Very Happy
Sailor

Nice ship. What is her name?
Now is the time to modify that SOTL like Blackbeard did with Queen Anne's Revenge (start at 2:28 ).

Rusty Edge wrote:
I think that pirate ships, being rather democratic, had 1st, 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th mates, depending on crew size. Officers , and non commissioned officers such as boatswains were found in navies.

That what I also thought.

{EDIT:
Alexandre Olivier Exquemelin writes in his book about the pirate crew that there are (using online translator for the title names so they might seem kinda strange, sorry):
- hunters
- ship's servants
- surgeon/medic
- captain
- seamen (shipboys?)
- disciples (students?)

Haven't yet found any recordings about the officers in the pirate ships from his book. He just uses terms like "pirates", "bandits", "buccaneers", "captain" and "crew".}

Red Rabbit wrote:
Off-topic: Was Long John Silver Captain Flint's Boatswain? What was his title? First Mate?

Looked this up: He was Quartermaster. And also he was the only man whom Captain Flint ever feared.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just barely beat Salty Dog to the 2,300 milestone, but I'm sure he will pass me long before either of us catches up with Wolfwood, who is currently in sixth place with 2,512 posts.

When it comes to gold, however, Salty trails only Governor Marriott.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland, you certainly have my best wishes to pass me by any time you want. I am retired and have more time to come on the board and look up trivia and funny pictures to post. I try to post good stuff that entertains us. When I returned to this board in earnest in December 2014, I had 435 posts and was Number 36 on the list.

You can criticize me for posting a whole bunch of jokes worth a lot of gold on the board. That's OK. I was having fun. Besides, Howie left this board seven years ago and no longer deserves to be the gold leader.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
I just barely beat Salty Dog to the 2,300 milestone, but I'm sure he will pass me long before either of us catches up with Wolfwood, who is currently in sixth place with 2,512 posts.

Well, guess you called it correctly. I moved into 6th place when I put up number 2514. That is because I am retired and have more time for cruising the boards than you do. Now it's a long slog to the next place. What I really want is to make Helmsman, that's my goal.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Roland wrote:

Well, guess you called it correctly. I moved into 6th place when I put up number 2514. That is because I am retired and have more time for cruising the boards than you do. Now it's a long slog to the next place. What I really want is to make Helmsman, that's my goal.

Keep it up Salty Smile
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

I hope this board continues to function long enough for you to make Helmsman!

sparticus has more posts in these forums than the two of us put together!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

I hope this board continues to function long enough for you to make Helmsman!

sparticus has more posts in these forums than the two of us put together!

My aim is to have enough posts to build my own SOtL Sailor
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have enough gold to buy a Mansion and move in with Mr. Blue and I in our excellent development!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Captain Teague is approaching Rigger status! Any day now....
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is that? 1000 posts?

Maybe I should post some of my pirate short stories that I wrote based on actual occurrences in this game.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! Yes, post 1000 gets you the promotion and your sure have earned it!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Captain Teague, our brand new Rigger!!! Arr!
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I meant to make my 1000th post here; I never noticed the 999th! Ah well, nice to be recognized. Now on to... whatever the next milestone is.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 33 of 39

Jump to: