Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

POWDER MONKEY FIRST POST: INTRODUCE YOURSELVES HERE ! ! !
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the stock game is plenty good so enjoy. There is a mods download section here that has lots of goodies once you get bored of the stock version. You might want to check some of my favorites like k bobs daughters or Captain Reddes character mods
tonymack21
Powder Monkey

291 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Well the stock game is plenty good so enjoy. There is a mods download section here that has lots of goodies once you get bored of the stock version. You might want to check some of my favorites like k bobs daughters or Captain Reddes character mods

ya those both look like something ill want to try

has there been any speculation at all about Sid revisiting this series?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there's speculation.

I think Sid is kinda proud of Pirates! I also think that the rights have been sold somewhere along the way.

So he probably won't.
tonymack21
Powder Monkey

291 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be a real shame, this is not a series that needs to sale off into the "pirates sunset" forever Sad
Marius Dobrique
Powder Monkey

162 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinstalled after seeing this on a Steam sale, remembered this forum, checked post dates, sheesh it's been 7 years since I played Pirates.

Time to yarr (goddamn top difficulty is hard)!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MD, welcome back! You don't have to play Swashbuckler to be accepted on this board. Some of us are too old to play that level anyway. Get back into the game. There is a LOT to it and we are here to help out!
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marius Dobrique wrote:
Reinstalled after seeing this on a Steam sale, remembered this forum, checked post dates, sheesh it's been 7 years since I played Pirates.

Time to yarr (goddamn top difficulty is hard)!

Welcome back! I almost always play at the apprentice level. IMHO there is no "wrong" way to play Pirates as long as you are having fun.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I play while drinking real rum. That may require sharing out the loot and reducing the degree of difficulty during the game.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to go back to apprentice level. There is just getting to be to many distractions in my game.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I might have to go back to apprentice level. There is just getting to be to many distractions in my game.

Arr!
tonymack21
Powder Monkey

291 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find the wind on apprentice to be annoying, sometimes those shifts are helpful for running diagonals. I used to play on rogue on xbox but haven't tried anything above journeyman on pc yet. about to get some time off for holiday break at work maybe I can get a game or two in.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wished I could get a game or two in on my break. When I was a child I was expected to play with other kids and now that I have my own I'm still expected to be their primary entertainer. Besides I wouldn't want them seeing my mods anyway.
Artfuldodger$702
Powder Monkey

117 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Hi! New to the forum Reply with quote

Surprised

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum. A forum I didn't even know existed until just a few days ago. I found out about this forum thanks to a Pirates FB group that I recently joined. I started with Uncharted Water for SNES. Then I discovered SM Pirates and retired UW. For the past several years I've been playing a used version of Pirates (first Wii, then Mac, now PC); purchased used, just the disc, no manuals. I've felt so isolated with my love of this game ...until now (heh heh).

I also was not aware that this game accepts mods! OMG, I'm so excited to learn more about those. I also learned a few days ago that the ship I'm battling will hoist a white flag when they surrender. I never noticed that...seriously. I just kept attacking until I decided to get close enough to see if the ship and crew would choose the option of dueling or surrender mode. I had to learn about the game simply by playing it and what little data I could find on the internet (sans this forum).

I already posted a question regarding the mods, as the ones I want don't always have directions on where to place them within the program file folder of the game. Eventually I may even attempt to create my own mods. I have a lot of experience creating what is known as "recolours" for Sims 2 (which is what I spent time playing when not playing Pirates).

I've been reading reviews about newer released pirates games and games to come, but they just don't appear to have the charm of this game. It would be fantastic if Pirates would be re-released with state of the art graphics, and just a few more options.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard Cap'n Arr!

Pirates! 2004 was a great game. Not only did it have a nice 143 page spiral bound manual with a color cover and map in the box, it has the detailed Piratopedia in game, too.

The game shines with attention to detail, like the white ship flags. The flags over cities show their attitude towards you. One of my favorites is indicating wind speed and direction by the passing of the shadows of the clouds across the seas. Another is the lit slow match in Blackbeard's beard when you fight him at night.

Games have improved greatly over the years as processors and graphics have improved, so Pirates! may seem slow and grainy, but it's obvious they put a lot of time and effort into it. They don't make 'em like this any more.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Artfuldodger$702,
Welcome to Hooked on Pirates. I hope you enjoy visiting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 70 of 75

Jump to: