Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

POWDER MONKEY FIRST POST: INTRODUCE YOURSELVES HERE ! ! !
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Annoying Captain,
Welcome! Beware the barmaids. While they can be VERY friendly, they have been known to hit people over the head with a bottle.
Very respectfully,
fleetp
Annoying Captain
Powder Monkey

609 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp wrote:
@Annoying Captain,
Welcome! Beware the barmaids. While they can be VERY friendly, they have been known to hit people over the head with a bottle.
Very respectfully,
fleetp

Who are you? Where do you come from and what do you do for a living? You seem quite well dressed and have money. Are you from around here? How does someone make a living here?

My real name is Phillipe Gerard and like I've said, I've been in the French Army for 15 years. Here is a picture of me in action against the evil Dutch a few years ago:

We have been at war with them off and on for years. I did well in battle and they promoted me to be a Captain of the Guards and sent me to Port de Paix. Now I get lonely being stationed so far from my home. I don't make much money either and what I do make I have to send back to my family. Where is your family, do they live here?

Barkeep, thanks for the brandy, it tastes so good! How did you get French brandy out here in the middle of nowhere? I will talk to your hostess about some female companionship pretty soon, thanks!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Welcome, Captain! I found your post amusing, not annoying! Smile

Phillippe, do you know who this well-dressed man is? He is Duke Roland! You should know him. Although from England, he is a French Duke! He was in the English Royal Navy for 20 years and made the rank of Captain with them. Sailed these seas he did. However, as soon as he was eligible for a pension, he retired from military service and came back here to make some REAL money!

He heard the French Governor of Martinique was offering Letters of Marque to eligible Captains willing to attack the Spanish trade routes. So, he hopped on a transport from England and sailed to Martinique. Sure enough, the Governor said he would issue him a Letter of Marque if he could come up with a worthy ship and hardy crew.

Roland's move was crafty and amazing. He had no trouble rounding up hardened veterans from all over the Spanish Main and these islands. He knew where Tortuga is and went there for most of his crew. Others he found in various Towns and Settlements. Then, about 20 of the most battle-hardened sailors went to Margarita Island on fishing boats, disguised as fishermen. They knew that is where the Marquis of Arellano liked to vacation. Here is a picture of the Marquis of Arellano

The Marquis had not just any warship as his personal transport, he had a ROYAL SLOOP decked out in all its' finery. It was a beautiful and powerful warship. Roland and his men arrived in Margarita, scouted out the ship and the crew onboard and late one Saturday night they boarded and seized the ship and sailed it to Martinique. Once there, they changed much of the outward appearance of the ship and renamed it the Veillantif. You passed by this ship in our harbor. It may not look Royal on the outside but believe me, on the inside this ship is truly fit for Royalty!

I will tell you more about this amazing Captain if you wish.....
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm semi-retired from privateering now. Since marrying Governor Marriott's daughter Esmeralda, I've tried to lead a respectable life. But one of these days my spies will bring me word of the governor's whereabouts (probably in the form of a map) and I'll have to mount a rescue expedition.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victorious 3 Cheers for Duke Roland!
Annoying Captain
Powder Monkey

609 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke Roland? Yes, I have heard of him but never seen him. He received his promotions in the New World when I was still living in France, so I never had the chance to see or meet him. My Patron was Phlippe I, the Duke of Orleans and I was named after him.

When I turned 17 my Father asked him to recommend my being accepted into the Army as a Grenadier, rather than a common Musketeer. Grenadiers are specialized soldiers and are the largest, most powerful and bravest of all soldiers. I was trained and served as a Grenadiers for ten years. After that I was promoted to lead a Platoon of soldiers and had to switch over to Musketeer status. I did well and was eventually promoted to Captain of the Guards.

Here is a picture of the Duke of Orleans, my Patron who I owe so much to:

So, I am so much surprised to see Duke Roland here on this small island! He could be living back in the Loire Valley of France!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, continuing my story of Duke Roland.....

He has been a highly successful Privateer representing French interests against the Spanish. He has earned them over a million Francs, that is why they made him a Duke! During his exploits on the Spanish Main, he rescued the Daughter of the Governor of Barbados from a fellow called Colonel Mendoza, caught up with him near St. Augustine. He also captured another Treasure Galleon on that trip.

After that, he returned here to Cutlass Isle for some provisions and repairs to his ship. The Daughter he rescued is named Lucky. She came into my Tavern and felt very much at home. She liked our island and decided she would rather settle here. I hired her on as my Hostess and she runs the operation we have upstairs with the girls. She has done so well she owns a large house you can see just north of downtown. She is a very close friend of mine.

From the profits he made capturing the Treasure Galleons, Roland proposed marriage to our very own Governor Marriott's Daughter Esmerelda. They were married here three years ago and he built a fabulous Fortified Mansion just outside town with a great view of the harbor. They had a wonderful honeymoon trip to Barbados and Lucky traveled with them to visit her Father there and returned back to Cutlass Isle on his ship.

Roland has done so well he is now semi-retired. If he hears from the French of a Treasure Fleet coming, I'm sure he would go after it. Otherwise he lives the good life here in Cutlass Isle.

Last edited by Salty Dog on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Phillipe, did I hear you correctly that you were a Grenadier for ten years? The Captains on this Isle would be MOST interested in hiring your services! They are sailors, not real soldiers. Your knowledge of explosives would be VERY valuable to them! When they approach Spanish ships they are authorized to sieze, these ships Captains sometimes actually prefer to fight it out with them rather than surrender.

When this happens they have to board the ships and this poses a most difficult problem for them. They way they do this is by using longboats to row up alongside them and throw ropes with grappling hooks to climb aboard the enemy ships. When they reach the top they are often met by men with swords who are determined to prevent their boarding. They hack away at their hands and hears as they try to board their ship and this is a terrible thing for us.

So far, we have relied on grapeshot to rake their decks and we have marksmen with muskets and especially with blunderbusses with shot loaded in them. However, these men are high in our rigging, exposed to enemy fire and are easy targets to be shot.

This is where you would come in. we have no knowledge of explosives while you do! You could be in the longboats and lob grenades onto the deck above, that would clear them out pronto!!!

Annoying Captain
Powder Monkey

609 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I only have five more years to go before retirement. I would not want to leave the Army without retiring unless I can be assured of being rich enough to support my family as long as we live. Are these Captains here law-abiding? I know what happens to to criminal pirates when they cross the line! They end up dead one way or the other! The nasty pirate François l'Olonnais disappeared four years ago and we don't know what happened to him. Rumor has it he was eaten by cannibals!

I can see sailing with a reputable captain like Duke Roland, but who are these other people I see here? Who is this fellow named Rusty Edge? How about this Captain Fleetp? Are they reputable Privateers or have they gone over to the Dark Side?

Wow, I really like this brandy and the wine you are serving here. I am certain they are French. How did you get these fine spirits? Do you have a source of supply in Port de Paix?
fleetp
Boatswain

35857 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from personal experience, I can say that Captain Fleetp is a scoundrel and rogue. For proof, ask any of the barmaids and beautiful daughters that he has worked so diligently to disrobe.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I came to the Caribbee as an English swab, in hopes of finding indentured kin. When we were almost here I sort of accidentally triggered a mutiny. Fearing that would catch up with us and get us flogged or hung, we went to the Dutch Leeward Islands to hide out.

The governor was at war with Spain, and so hard pressed he offered us a letter of Marque, and I've been working as a Dutch privateer ever since because the employment is steady. Everybody picks on the little guys.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm a Dutch privateer, but after a couple of rum punches, I'll admit that I accidentally slaughtered a couple of English crews because I hadn't heard about the peace treaty, so if you want to get technical....I'm a pirate.

According to the Spanish, the New World is theirs, and we're all heretics and pirates. They always have a high price on my head. It's not because of my captures. I primarily go after pirates, villains, invasion forces and pirate raiders bound for Dutch ports, and pirate hunters who come after me. Well, trade galleons, too, when my crew is hungry. I lead the top ten notorious pirates when it comes to things like cities sacked and captured. I'm expanding the Dutch Empire to impress the governor's daughter in Curacao.

I'm also looking for my family, buried treasure, and these lost cities my fiancé wants me to find. So I spend more time ashore than at sea.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillipe, my story is similar to Rusty Edge's. I am from the Ceide Fields on the north Mayo Coast of Ireland. I was a dairy farmer but the bottom fell out of the milk and cheese market so I signed on as a seaman on the English Merchantman called "The Belfast Lady". After a couple of months I realized how cruel and inhuman the Captain was and simply could not tolerate him any longer.

I told him I wanted to quit and he said that would mean I would be an indentured servant for three years. That was unacceptable to me. As luck would have it, we were overtaken by a Dutch privateer and they asked me to join them. For me the decision was easy - three years as an indentured servant of becoming a member of a successful Privateer crew? Well, I joined up with them and made good money - that is why I am encouraging you to do the same.

Eventually, I was spotted by someone who knew me and my name was added to the Piracy rolls and subject to arrest and harsh punishment. So, when we found this secret Isle, I volunteered to move ashore and start this tavern. Now, Salty Dog is not my real name but that is how it is in this business....

You were asking about how we got the French wine and brandy. There is another Captain who shows up here a couple of times a year. We don't know his real name but he goes by the moniker of Sparticus. From what I've been told, he was second in command to Francois d'Ollanais six years ago and when they captured a good ship, he took it over and recruited his own crew.

Believe me, he knows what he is doing and does not tell us where he has been or who he has plundered. What I do know is he shows up here and all of a sudden there are lots of goods for sale - linens and porcelain from England and Ireland, wine, cheese and brandy from France, expensive clothes and furniture from The Netherlands, and all sorts of goods from Spain. That is who I bought the wine and brandy from. We don't know how he gets the good stuff but he sure gets it!

So, have you heard that our own Governor Marriott from England was kidnapped two years ago? Have you heard anything of this down in Port de Paix?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember my greedy fiancé ? While I was capturing Count Montalban's hideout deep in the jungles along the Bay of Honduras, she was abducted by Colonel Mendoza. My crew was ready to share out the loot, but I put to sea immediately to rescue her.

When we returned, she was suddenly in a hurry to get married. Then she sent me to sea again to find the lost city of the Incas. It was on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico. No wonder they lost it! Serves them right!

Anyway, on the way there I learned that the Governor of Curacao had been replaced!! Where did she go ? Did she run off to meet up with Mendoza again somewhere? Did she take my gold with her? Or sell my land? The other thing that's bothering me is, when I do find her, will she have a baby that looks more like Mendoza than me?

I'm on my way back with my uncle and the Incan Treasure. Maybe my sister knows what happened to my wife. Lost Nervous
Annoying Captain
Powder Monkey

609 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Rusty Edge - I am so sorry to hear about all the turmoil you are going through! I certainly hope this will be cleared up to your satisfaction. Sounds like you had a quick marriage and your wife was happy to see you leave to find more treasure for her. Let us hope she is just planning for your future together and wants a nice nest egg to start the family off with.

If I were a suspicious man I would ask you if she had any other boyfriends but I am a reasonable fellow and will assume this is not the case. Let us hope she is with your sister and escaped any of the intrigue of a political turnover.

Congratulations of finding the Incan Treasure! You are now a man of means and have many choices in how you will live the rest of your life. Good on you Sir!

I understand you must leave to check the welfare of your wife and new baby. I hope you will look me up in Port de Paix. I am the Captain of the Guards there, just ask any Guard where I can be found. Good luck sir!!!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good luck Rusty Edge! Hope you wife is well and is living with her sister and the new baby is well. God speed to you, go clear things up and return to us soon here on Cutlass Isle! Smooth Sailing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 73, 74, 75  Next
Page 67 of 75

Jump to: