Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

this Forum gave me an idea they should have done in the game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloody William Flint
Swabbie

207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: this Forum gave me an idea they should have done in the game Reply with quote

OK this is what i think they should do on the game let you mae the pirate look how you want like they do on here with your avatar take differint looks from differint pirates & make your own
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would defenitely have been a cool option. Different colours of skull caps would be awesome too.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how they wrote the game, that simple change would require an entire re-write of the game.

Ouch.

And I agree with you, 100%.
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Considering how they wrote the game, that simple change would require an entire re-write of the game.

That's what I was thinking too, so I didn't suggest this one to cyberops.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just started with the wrong model.

Look at how they did Morrowind as a counter example.

That style graphics engine would have been such a hoot.
Many more variations on tap.

This version works, but there is no room to edit, short of modding dozens of files for any single change to the player graphic.

Re-inventing the wheel and starting with a block of cement and C4.
PUNiSHER
Seaman

374 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is great.
Never realised that there would be so much work to be done, for such a "small" difference in the game.
I am not a programmer, so therefore I did not realise that the whole game would have to be re-written to put this nice feature in.

But the idea is still a pretty one though!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is basically that for every single uniform variation (for each nation and every rank) there's a different skin file with the full uniform and the "face and hands" graphics. If you want to change how the guy's Spanish uniform looks like, you have to change all the individual skin files for each of the ranks that you have (that have miniscule differences in uniform).

Another way could have been to have a single, or two, skin files and have all the rank insignias as separate files that would be pasted over the main skin. Also, the face and hair could have been in their own files, so that you would not have to change them in dozens of images when you want to ad a simple short beard to the fellow.

Just shows that the programmers did not even imagine that someone might like the hero to look different than it is... Rolling Eyes
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it would be possible to write a program that mixes and matches character mods in the custom folder, wouldn't it? All it would take is different files that you can combine or whatever...Never mind. Too complicated.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the old problem of adding just one more item.

Depending on the task, that changes the entire time frame.
What happens when you add 1 to X?

2 X
X squared
X Factorial
n raised to the power X

It gets worse.

X raised to the power X

It is just that their initial program scheme did not have the degrees of freedom that could easily have been there.
K-Bob
Swabbie

3314 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat idea. It's doable, even as a mod. Would be a pain in the ass, but could be done.

The player character has something like 4 DDS files that make up the 'skin' for his body, head, and clothes. Plus there's a set of clothes for each rank, for each country (32 in all?). That's what he wears while dancing and visiting the guv.

For each one of those, you'd have to isolate various parts of clothing, skin, hair, etc. that you would be able to change.

Then you'd have to have a program to show these to the user, combined in the right order (how to render the 3D model?). You'd allow the user to modify the color or whatever of these pieces.

Then you'd have to save them back out to all the various DDS files, and probably package them up into a FPK.

It'd be a bit easier if you didn't worry about the formal uniforms and just modified the on-ship/in-the-tavern clothes, and maybe the hair color.

The overall structure of the program wouldn't be that hard. The details of rendering the images and allowing the user to easily change colors (and clothing) would be difficult. Plus just the pain of going through each DDS and isolating various bits of clothing for the program to use.

I don't think I'll be programming this one any time soon... Sounds like a pain. But it certainly would be cool, and I think it is do-able.
K-Bob
Swabbie

3314 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually an easier starting point would be a character like the daughters or the barmaid -- there's only one DDS file to worry about.

And if you didn't display the results as a 3D model, but just showed the actual contents of the DDS file, that would make it a lot easier too.
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also program in a series of screenshots with each different combination, couldn't you?

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to note that K-Bob has written a program like this and posted it here.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to mention this that in the Wii version you can choose different hair and facial hair and also the colour of them to your character.

Also there's an option to buy stuff to your ships, like different figureheads.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
Have to mention this that in the Wii version you can choose different hair and facial hair and also the colour of them to your character.

Also there's an option to buy stuff to your ships, like different figureheads.

I have not played the Wii version - but these extra options sound really neat...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: