Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Caribbean!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Caribbean! Reply with quote

sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Caribbean! Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy wrote:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/293010/
Anyone tried this yet?

Sadly - No..
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has me tempted to load STEAM on my computer again.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEAM re-installed. ( what a pain!)
Caribbean purchased, installation underway.

Well, I played. I guess it's considered alpha stage.

Maybe I need to use the forums and learn what I'm supposed to be doing.
I won a battle at 3 to 1 odds in my favor. After that, I was captured in the next two battles, ( which I didn't even want ), and in the sea battle, I crossed the enemy bow and was just about to rake them with chain at what I thought was extreme range when the screen changes to prepare to be boarded.

I was on the gun deck, trying to find my way to the fight when I fell overboard and sank. Captured again.

Anyway, on land I'm a guy on horseback, not a general directing troops.

A lot is done with the W<A<S<D keys. I'm not a southpaw. Maybe I need to figure out the mouse.

Maybe if I were playing Total War, it would be more intuitive.
I need a tutorial.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read up and played some more.

I started another game, made different decisions, but I still have trouble walking out of a room. Needless to say, some of the other stuff is worse.

I'd be tempted to blow some money on weapons and ships, but it's still in alpha.

It is interesting to look at, I'm just not finding it fun yet. I probably have to put more time into it.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Caribbean! Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy wrote:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/293010/
Anyone tried this yet?

Okay, at this point I found a guide that at least explains how the combat controls are supposed to work. It's another game with the same base engine.

http://www.flyingsquirrelent.eu/PDX_M&B%20Warband%20DLC_Onlinemanual_.pdf

It seems to be a game that you can adjust the difficulty by adjusting the settings as you get the idea of various features.

It's going better now. I think this game has possibilities. It's crowding out my other games.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last game I started as a Frenchman, Ray Pierre. Trained my sailors, put a sail maker's room in my Flute. I rode out of town because there were a few robbers just outside of town. I figured I'd defeat them, gain some renown, and maybe make some money without putting a scratch on my ships.

I got jumped by 80 Spaniards. It did not go well, even when I escaped, I got jumped again and again by overwhelming numbers. I lost all of my musketmen companions. My inner ear was acting up, and I wasn't too keen on the simulated horseback riding with it's bouncy camera. I was relieved when they killed my horse, and I conceded defeat and quit the game.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But your ship remained undamaged!
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
But your ship remained undamaged!

Yeah!

I must admit I'm not learning very fast. It's interesting, and if you allocate any skill points to trade, you can stay overnight in a port city and find the top 4 goods you could trade for profit, and where.

Of course, you might be attacked on the way there.

The enemy normally travels in pairs. The sea battles involve all of the ships, so my prizes can be sunk or captured in any battle.

The problem I'm having is that each sea battle costs more than I gain from it. Selling the captured ships doesn't pay for the repairs and the costs of hiring and training new crew to replace my losses. There are no partial repairs, it's all or nothing, ship by ship. Mine seem to get slower and take more damage if they aren't repaired , until they sink or are captured.
The alternative is to sell the Fluyt of Fluyt of War ( the 2 ships I always get to start the game )after it takes damage I can't afford and keep a large schooner prize as warship. It's still a downward slide. Either way, the longer I play, the smaller my ships are.

I've tried closing fast and boarding, but the enemy can do me a lot of damage. I've tried dismasting them first. Then my prize isn't worth much and it can easily be captured by arriving enemies.

Maybe when I'm better at it, I'll know which ships I can attack and earn a profit.

Maybe I should sell one of the brand new fluyts and use the cash to trick out a schooners at the outset.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should sell one of the brand new fluyts and use the cash to trick out a schooners at the outset.

That was a bust. I sold my smaller Fluyt, but there was nothing to buy.

The game didn't go too well. That said, I did learn something.
1) you can pick up cargo and crew from scuttled ships during a battle, much like Sid's Pirates!

2) I'm getting the hang of shooting people on the enemy quarterdeck from mine ( using the shift key ) with a pistol when my men are boarding. I think I'll allocate for more strength points and buy a musket next time.
Guardacostas
Gunner

9937 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sure is some trailer. Shocked I must say.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! Now I'm getting somewhere.

I started as an independent, allocated my ability points to have 7 strength, my skill points to include trade, firearms, and sea battle ability ( whatever it's called ). I bought a damaged matchlock musket. I stuck to attacking smugglers.

I would close with the enemy, order my men to charge, and personally shoot an enemy or two from the railing of my poop deck. Once the enemy quarterdeck has been cleared, I pull out my sword and join the battle, which is usually won by the time I board the enemy and reach the action.

I am much less likely to be wounded in a shoot-out than a melee. I can affect the outcome . The other advantage is that if I am wounded in the first encounter it hurts my crew's morale in the battle with the second ship, and losses are heavier, so I usually avoid that penalty.

By strategic trading, and capturing the vessels of smugglers along the way, I am usually able to replace my lost men, repair my vessels, and maybe have enough left over to fix my musket at the master weapon maker's shop, buy gloves, or sturdier boots, or something else in the way of upgraded weapons or protection, while gaining experience points.

Upgrading my ships seems just out of reach, but now that I seem to be in positive cash flow rather than downward spiral, I realize I could save for it, and upgrade my ships after capturing an extra pair of sloops.

Okay, I did mistakenly shoot one of my own sailors Shocked once, but the scurvy dog was dashing across the gangplank, boarding my ship, before the battle was won. I mistook a coward for an enemy, but it didn't seem to hurt morale.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Edge wrote:
Okay! Now I'm getting somewhere.

I started as an independent, allocated my ability points to have 7 strength, my skill points to include trade, firearms, and sea battle ability ( whatever it's called ). I bought a damaged matchlock musket. I stuck to attacking smugglers.

I would close with the enemy, order my men to charge, and personally shoot an enemy or two from the railing of my poop deck. Once the enemy quarterdeck has been cleared, I pull out my sword and join the battle, which is usually won by the time I board the enemy and reach the action.

I am much less likely to be wounded in a shoot-out than a melee. I can affect the outcome . The other advantage is that if I am wounded in the first encounter it hurts my crew's morale in the battle with the second ship, and losses are heavier, so I usually avoid that penalty.

By strategic trading, and capturing the vessels of smugglers along the way, I am usually able to replace my lost men, repair my vessels, and maybe have enough left over to fix my musket at the master weapon maker's shop, buy gloves, or sturdier boots, or something else in the way of upgraded weapons or protection, while gaining experience points.

Upgrading my ships seems just out of reach, but now that I seem to be in positive cash flow rather than downward spiral, I realize I could save for it, and upgrade my ships after capturing an extra pair of sloops.

Okay, I did mistakenly shoot one of my own sailors Shocked once, but the scurvy dog was dashing across the gangplank, boarding my ship, before the battle was won. I mistook a coward for an enemy, but it didn't seem to hurt morale.

Mebee he were a turncoat?
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, but he weren't wearing no shirt, which made it harder to determine his allegiance.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same character flaw dogging me in this game, too.

I want to take a ship too many before putting in to port for repairs and re-crewing. One more Treasure Galleon in Pirates! One more smuggler in Caribbean. That extra ship should cover the costs of repairing and upgrading that large frigate/ large schooner I just captured and want to keep in my fleet.

Except the additional wounded, and the prize crews are a drain on my manpower, and that last juicy prize more often costs me my flagship than pays for repairs to the ship I just added. Once my flagship is lost, I've got a lot less crew, and a lot less morale. It starts the downward spiral.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: