Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Taking on superior numbers
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the length of the battle? Is that a determining factor on how much gold you get as well, or is it completely irrellevant, as there seems to be no turn limit?
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn limit?
Ain't no such thing.
jbsmith
Cutthroat

835 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to take position on the high ground and let the foe come to me.
if open ground,pirates in front musketmen in back.
The musketmen shoots 'em up as the foe advances and the pirates charge when to moment is right.
the defender on the highground gets an advantage.
Conversely, Attacking Downhill the attacker gets an advantage too.
If the hill has trees-as Eric Cartman would say--"SWEEET" Twisted Evil
i line them up Pirate-Musket-,m,p,m and keep at least one platoon of pirates in back as a mobile reserve, or as ambush.
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Ha...Please don't consider it just braggin', but when i first attcked Montalban, i didn't know he had a bunch of savages there.
- We be about 100 against dat landlubbers...And ME BE A ROGUE. Twas like "one-two-three-four...ok...one-two-three-four-five? ok..SIX-SEVEN??? EIGHT-NINE-TEN...??? BLAST!!!!"
- Had officers, bucaneers and two pirates. And won leaving me half the officers and all bucaneers. First it was standing in the bushes, and then just before the bushes.
- One lil hinty - every time you be fightin' - turn on the grid! It be sometimes extremely helpful.
- Checkmate! Twisted Evil

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: gold is less important Reply with quote

Gold is very important to the game but I find that gold isn't relativly that important in the capturing of cities. You can get tons of points with the english if they are at war with the spanish and you capture a spanish port and make it english.

The most I ever got from a city was like 10,000 gold. Now thats a decent amout but its not a ton.

I don't typically go after big huge well defended cities preferring to keep smaller crews (about 200 men in size at max) and just going after ships and other targets of opprotunity. I find that I can keep my crew morale
(and morale as in happiness has an E at the end. moral is talking about your personal feelings as to whats is good or evil) higher for longer if they are smaller. I may not get the sheer gold weight of recruiting an army and attacking large cities but feel like I'm getting more gold per man.

That may just be because I'm better at fencing then I am at land battles. (Beating a garrison outnumbered two to 1 is difficult for me but sometimes doable)

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
DJ1
Cutthroat

11541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossaman wrote:
I personally like to fight with a no more than 2/3 disadvantage, but I have done 1/2 and even 1/3 succesfully. This is a great summary of cautious tactics. However, you forgot my favorite tactic: Bottlenecking. I love using rocks to force the enemy to come to me one at a time. Also, when a path towards your units is plugged, the enemy takes an alternate route. This means that when the bottleneck is full, units to the rear go the other way. Then they advance when it's open. Then they retreat again, etc...This tactic allows you to take the best advantage of your buccaneer's abilities.

I always use that tactic as well...
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Too easy Reply with quote

That is a pretty conservative ratio and it would be rather easy to win like that. The enemy to me seems to over expose its flank a lot. They also really lack any good melee fighters save for their cav. (which I take out on sight)

It sounds a lot like everyone likes to use their Bucs and the pirates and officers supporting them. I prefer to use the bucs to support the pirates and officers because of the exposed flanks and weak melee. Although I do belive bucs have a one square greater range the enemy infantry. (Is that true?)

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is. And don't get me wrong, I like using my melee units: But the buccaneers get the first shot. I wear them down with ranged attacks, and then ambush from trees or high ground if possible with melee units.

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
van boelken
Seaman

492 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: YES! Reply with quote

Methinks that bucaniers should be stronger and the percentage of landed shots should also be higher. I wish there's an option to take few hand-cannons with the crew, as it was normall to do back then. Cavalry should be lured in woods. Then you can attack them head-on and send them back running, shiting their pants. As for other units, they should always be attacked from flanks, or rear. If you attack head-on try to gain higer ground for bonus.
My personal record: 120 men against 200 Spanish men succesfuly plundering Maracaibo. In seocnd fight I reposesed it for Dutch (Haarr).
All that be done on Swashbuckler!

Share your expereince with me! Wink

GOOOOOOD HHHUUUNNNNTINGG!!! Twisted Evil
GreyFox
Swabbie

663 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,you must consider 17th century rifles and pistols were quite unaccurate relatively to now.
That's why they used to be shot up close.
Thus from a distance,I suppose it's normal many of the shots don't land there.
I usually put the pirates up front and in cover and always shoot the bucaneers first,before having the pirates attack a target,to wound him,maybe even frighten him.
Never let the enemy get the high ground,and try to get flanking bonus when possible.
If you see any cavalry,get all of your pirates somewhere they cant be attacked from plains.
Finnally,upon the sight of artillery just keep your men hidden so they won't be spotted in the first place.
The map often allows for a group of pirates to go around by the woods and strike them from behind.
Evasive Maneuvers
Swabbie

1479 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even at 80/225 you need a lot of luck and stategy
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreyFox wrote:

Finnally,upon the sight of artillery just keep your men hidden so they won't be spotted in the first place.

What artillery? I've never seen any, or even read of anyone seeing any.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
GreyFox wrote:

What artillery? I've never seen any, or even read of anyone seeing any.
You're right that they don't exist in the game, but they were considered initially. However, the developers left them on the cutting room floor.
The .dds files for the cannons for each nation are in the Assets folder, artillery_cannon_s.dds, artillery_cannon_d.dds, etc...

pedia_landbattle_artillery

PS, How's the Missus doin?
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank'ee for askin'. The Missus is doin' well. The recession has battered us, but we are weatherin' the storm. She's still crazy about that little imp of hers - he's 3 years old now.

Now, help out an ignorant ol' salt water thief, will ye? Is there a way that I can mod those spendid cannon ye showed me into me game, or was Greyfox just pullin' our legs? Seems to me that thar's no point in tellin' us how to fight artillery if thar's none to be found.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no chance of getting them into the game. Although the .dds files (skins) exist, the 3-d .NIF files for them are not to be found in the assets folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: