Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Happy Crew = Enough Gold?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Happy Crew = Enough Gold? Reply with quote

I've read that keeping the crew happy means having 1000 to 1200 gold per crewmember and, for the most part, that seems to work. However, I'm in a game that started in 1680. I divided the plunder once, just before going after Montalban's hideout. I captured that, then got all 4 lost cities pretty easily. I now have 437,000 gold and 221 men... and they're freaking UNHAPPY! What's up with that? I think I'm going to have to start cutting off ears until morale improves. Whatchathink?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're a bit short of money. 7873 gold to be exactly. Laughing

bigchief wrote:
I did some testing on the effects of Crew Morale.

These are the numbers:

Less than 1004 per man - Mutinous
1004 gold to 2012 gold - Unhappy
2013 gold to 3021 gold - Content
3022 gold to 4030 gold - Happy
Greater than 4030 gold - Very Happy

In the above numbers, I had a Quartermaster, Cook, and Concertina. Removing the Quartermaster or Concertina had no effect on the numbers, but removing the Cook made the numbers change to these:

Less than 1200 per man - Mutinous
1200 gold to 2399 gold - Unhappy
2400 gold to 3599 gold - Content
3600 gold to 4799 gold - Happy
Greater than 4799 gold - Very Happy

TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah. I guess I assumed if I had between 1000-1200 they'd at least stay content. I guess there's more to it than that. They are now staying on the fringe of content-unhappy. As the gold builds, so can the crew.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
so long, and thanks for all the gold...
I love Douglas Adams' work. I met him in Atlanta not long before he died. He seemed...mostly harmless.

To the point of this string: Hear! Hear! What they said!
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
TheDon wrote:
so long, and thanks for all the gold...
I love Douglas Adams' work. I met him in Atlanta not long before he died. He seemed...mostly harmless.

To the point of this string: Hear! Hear! What they said!

AHA! Glad you caught that reference. The earlier one ("for dark is the suede that mows like a harvest") is from the movie "Mars Attacks". Hitchhiker (the movie) should be a hoot, although there will no doubt be many that decry however far it may be from the book(s).
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitchhiker was quite funny, in fact, although it seemed too condensed in a movie format. Also, there was a lot of goofing around that diverted from the smartest jokes (I'd have liked to see a bit more of those).

An OK movie, but not one to blow my head off like the books did... (I'm just about to get my hands on the radio scripts - I've only heard the Finnish version of the radio play and I'll be interesting to see how it differed from the original).
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
(I'm just about to get my hands on the radio scripts - I've only heard the Finnish version of the radio play and I'll be interesting to see how it differed from the original).
Muhahaha. I have BBC produced cassettes of the first radio broadcast, unopened and unplayed, sent to me by a friend that works there. I have the video of the TV series, AND the entire set of his work including Dirk Gently and the Holistic Detective Agency. Razz nanner nanner nanner!
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Have we discussed this before? I'm not sure, but I'll still ask again: you also got the post-humous The Salmon of Doubt? I think that, as a way to learn to know the man, that book was the best one can do without having actually met him in person.

After reading that book I could not but think that it was a great loss to the world that he's no longer in it.

BTW: I also have the Dirk Gently novels and I love them! Excited

And I'm going to buy that script book one of these days... I'll just have to wait until after my birthday to make sure that my wife hasn't already got it for me... (I happened to admire it in front of her once and she tends to remember these things...)
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Hmmm...you also got the post-humous The Salmon of Doubt? I think that, as a way to learn to know the man, that book was the best one can do without having actually met him in person.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Salmon of Doubt, Mostly Harmless...Teatime of the Soul...he was quite prolific, really. When I met him through some people at Oxford Books in Atlanta, when he was on a book signing tour for Mostly Harmless, I couldn't help thinking...he reminds me of Bilbo Baggins with an attitude. He looked so ... BRITISH! He kept having me repeat what I said to him because I have this awful Southern drawl. Very charming guy, considering he was overbooked with engagements. The line for the book signing there wove through every aisle in the store, then out into the parking lot. I indeed felt blessed. I brought my son, who was sixteen at the time and addicted to his work, as well. He said, "Corrupting another one, are we?" Heh heh heh. Damn skippy!
Wolfwood wrote:
it was a great loss to the world that he's no longer in it.
Pointed humor, social commentary that's easy to swallow but hard to forget, such writers are rare. I rank him with Mark Twain. He is missed.
Wolfwood wrote:
(I happened to admire it in front of her once and she tends to remember these things...)
You're a lucky man. Treat her right! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: