Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Game you have spent the most time on??
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
This one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gato_%28video_game%29

Victorious

Damn - that looked good for back in the day - I missed that one Sad
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's the one I meant. I played it on DOS, I think it was the Emerson computer.

I had a lot of hours of enjoyment with that game, what I remember most is the sound of the morse code at the beginning ( although it was too fast for me to make sense of, I always got my missions from the text. ), and my periscope cracking when I got caught too close to the surface by a Japanese Destroyer.

Well, I guess I liked watching my torpedoes strike, instead of firing, lowering periscope, and diving, like they did historically.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also spent an EON playing Mechwarrior, Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries, + the expansion pack.
Terminal Velocity, Nascar Racing and the Descent series - all also on my fav all time shelf.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the best sub game, at least the one that sucked all my time.

Silent Service is set in the Pacific Ocean during World War II, with the player assuming control of a United States submarine for various war patrols against Japanese shipping ("Silent Service" was a nickname for the US Navy's submarine force in the Pacific during WWII).

The game allows the player to choose when to attack and a whole range of realistic tactics are available, including the End Around as well as near invisibility at night (if the sub's profile is kept to a minimum). The game's realism was hampered by the simulation's inability to handle more than four projectiles at a time. This was particularly troublesome when battling multiple destroyers, since the submarine would not be able to fire if four torpedoes were already in the water.

The game accelerates real time when not in combat. Sid Meier described a number of key factors that influenced the design of the game: The size of the theatre, the variety of tactical situations, and evolving technology, such as torpedoes that did or did not leave trails of bubbles on the surface, and the use of surface radar. Tasks such as navigation, damage repair, and firing were compartmentalized into different screens to allow players access to a great deal of information, but also focus on the task at hand.[1]

I tried to get into Tom Clancy's SSN from the 90s, and it just wasnt the same...
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Silent Service work on Windows 7? A lot of the old games don't work any more. Gato is an old game and the graphics are no longer considered acceptable.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: old games Reply with quote

I forget exactly what versions of win 7 has compatibility mode but it allows all the old stuff to work. sometimes you have to force compatibility mode. As for games I would say Civ II and then Pirates!
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win 7 certainly does, which is why Pirates worked better for me on my Win 7 pc than it did on Vista.

But, my copy of Silent Service is on a Commodore 64. I dont think Win 7 has much to offer to help on that one. Plus, not sure where I could find a 5 1/4 drive to load it.

One day... I am going to plug that 64 back up, and see if it works at all.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
Win 7 certainly does, which is why Pirates worked better for me on my Win 7 pc than it did on Vista.

But, my copy of Silent Service is on a Commodore 64. I dont think Win 7 has much to offer to help on that one. Plus, not sure where I could find a 5 1/4 drive to load it.

One day... I am going to plug that 64 back up, and see if it works at all.

You can find 5 1/4 drives for sale on e-bay, or find an old computer at a yard sale (cannibalize it for parts).
Before you buy a 5 1/4 drive, find somebody who has a computer that still has one and see if your floppy disks still contain readable data. Also, make sure your motherboard will support a 5 1/4 inch drive. You might have to make changes to your BIOS.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That post confuses me. My 5 1/4 are all formatted and written with code for a C64. I do not believe any Windows based PC would read them, even if i found a windows compatible 5 1/4 disc drive. I still have my Commodore drive and PC. Just too lazy to dig it out of the attic and turn on. And afraid the 5 minute load times might somehow scar my happy memory.
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
That post confuses me. My 5 1/4 are all formatted and written with code for a C64. I do not believe any Windows based PC would read them, even if i found a windows compatible 5 1/4 disc drive. I still have my Commodore drive and PC. Just too lazy to dig it out of the attic and turn on. And afraid the 5 minute load times might somehow scar my happy memory.

Please accept my apologies. I misinterpreted your intentions. I thought you were considering connecting a 5 1/4" floppy drive to a modern Windows PC.
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries.
I am sure there is a c64 emulator I could use as well, but too lazy to do that as well... sometimes it is best to leave things as childhood memories than to realize they werent as good as you remember...
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
No worries.
I am sure there is a c64 emulator I could use as well, but too lazy to do that as well... sometimes it is best to leave things as childhood memories than to realize they werent as good as you remember...

I do not need an emulator - my C64 is still working.

Here Playing Elite - screen so much smaller than 50" Plasma - that I have to go upstairs to take the photo.

Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's beautiful! True playstation!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rabbit wrote:
That's beautiful! True playstation!

Notice the Moon boot in the corner - left over from the Apollo Landings Smile
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I see you have the original Commodore monitor. That one, my brother tossed out. We have the pc and diskdrive but at least it should play on an rca plugged tv.

i dont see the diskdrive in the pic. is that the cassette instead?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: