Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Patch 1.0.2 is on the way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dshirk
Firaxian
Firaxian

1241 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortnately, the developers downstairs are remaining tight-lipped about what is being rolled into the new patch, so I will need to wait for word along with the rest of you. Hopefully testing completes with no problems, and we can all be enjoying it shortly.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info, dshirk!

Do you happen to know how aware the people in the development floor are of the problems in the game? Have they read the fan forums or are they working solely on the basis of direct feedback that they have received from the players? Are they focussed on technical problems or gameplay problems?
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it seems Firaxis has a little more wiggle room with Take2 then they did with Atari... of course with Atari hurting really bad that could have a lot to do with it. Gald take 2 understands the community better and is letting Firaxis do its thing.

Please let us know when there is a list of fixes -- updates .. Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just scoped-out the CNN article about Atari (which link someone posted somewhere in here). There's a lot of background in the financial stories re: gaming industry. The impression I got was Atari was sliding downhill before they were involved with Pirates! Our game was probably an unwilling sacrifice they were forced to make due to large problems elsewhere. All we need is a half-dozen consoles all competing with each other. Atari made their bones with a console and the attendant hardware. The games you could play on it were by and large independently produced and liscensed to Atari. I remember playing Nintendo's "Bruce Lee" on my Atari 800XL with dual disc drive...AND Donkey Kong, Lode Runner, Choplifter, Pitfall ... a host of games that ended up on cartridges that only fit a particular console.

Imagine what would have happened if each tool & die company made it's own slotted screws, with accompanying (only this one will work) screwdrivers. I don't think anyone went out of business when standardization was chosen to govern their trade. We have the "common" and the "Philips head" and all the tools work on all the machines, and everyone is just fine. I doubt the gaming industry understands this valuable lesson in industrial development - standardization.

I'll never buy another console. I don't care if it does my laundry, balances my checkbook and visits my mother-in-law for me. I will only be burned once, and will find solace in the company of that embarassment, rather than be burned a second time. I mention this because I followed other links attached to the Atari story, and found XBoX, Playstation and whatsisface the other one (Nintendo) are rapidly approaching the same wall that Atari hit long ago. What further peeves me is, the current line of consoles were supposed to be so state-of-the-art, why are they now obsolete? Money, honey. Pure and simple. These people are concerned ONLY with profits. Such thinking is short-sighted and bound to show-up eventually. From what I read, the chickens are on the way home to roost.

Anyone that doesn't understand the sophistication of standardization is an idiot, no matter HOW much C++ he/she can do.
Seaman

4756 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw

Friggin' thank you man! That needed to be said. I myself have not had anything to do with console gamming (other than legacy stuff I already owned) since just before the release of the Dream Cast. I can't remeber where (otherwise I would post it) but there is a group with a kind of "memorandum" outlinning the flaws in the current gamming industry. You hit two nails right on the head: money-hungry gluttons, and non-standardized, propriotary hardware.

Ahh, found it. But I won't post a link, as it's hosted on an Abandonware site of sorts. If ya'll want to look it up, it's called "The Scratchware Manifesto". Very good read.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: the next patch. Dshirk, a letter is currently in the works to address some of the major issues this community is having with this fine game. I am fairly sure that Airsaw, in his infinite gramatisim, is drafting it (health permitting). Airsaw, how about a word on that to Dshirk? Might be helpful to the devs at this stage of development, in case they are unaware of some of the issues present with the current patch.

Also, there are some topics on this board that might help you folks get up to speed with some of the issues being experianced. Here's one:
http://hookedonpirates.com/forwarder.html?http://hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3193

There are also others that have been aluded to that are burried in the depths of this board. And Airsaw, Ruppertlittlebear, Howie, and many others are more knowlageable and experiance with this than I. I'm sure they would have input into anything you wanted to ask of them (as would we all), and the aformentioned letter would most likely be a valuable asset to the development team as a post-mortem if nothing else.

Just thought I'd try to make you aware of what's going on around here in regards to what the dev team is currently doing. Make you aware of what I personaly know about anyway.

And I would encourage others to post links to other threads disscusing such topics, and mention anything else that might aid the dev team.

I'd like to sign off by saying that I'm not trying to be pushing. I'm just very enthusiastic about the current development cycle. And, as many know, enthusasim about something can get anoying at times Very Happy

l8t3r D-d1gi3Z!
QBRADQ
TKilmer
Powder Monkey

564 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is a great time to be a console game player. The market is really flooded with quality titles.

Maybe the console market is going to hit that wall with the Next Gen because the systems are coming too soon and developers with be hard pressed to swallow the budget it will take to make the Next Gen game actually look next gen. But maybe not. We are an entertainment driven society and are always looking for the next big thing.

The only games I still play on my PC are Sid's games and strategy games like Warlords, otherwise I prefer the living room environment and find console games easier to get into in short periods of time. The shorts periods only afforded to a husband and father. Just can't spend hours on end anymore playing games.
ledhed
Cutthroat

3392 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something to be said for laying back on the couch to play GT4 on a big screen HD tv. Wink
Erubo
Powder Monkey

130 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember where I looked, but I found something on a possible multiplayer option for the new patch coming out.
Javi
Cutthroat

2778 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erubo wrote:
I don't remember where I looked, but I found something on a possible multiplayer option for the new patch coming out.

Really? I did´nt hear anything about this -apart from ours dreams, of course Wink
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice to show y'all what I can do with 48 cannons. Smile

rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
Falconer has been making jokes about what you can do with just one cannon.

Kensai
Seaman

1450 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:

Well...I want the REAL minimal one hundred cannons of the original SOTLS.

Rupert...what are you doing sitting over a cannon? Don´t heat your "you know what too much?
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually he is standing behind the cannon, in the direct path of the recoil!
Kensai
Seaman

1450 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Actually he is standing behind the cannon, in the direct path of the recoil!

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feeling Sick
fossaman
Gunner

3515 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure? He might just be using a new kind of ammo. Razz

Like my fossa? He's a pirate! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: