Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Question about cannons...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Xbox Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civrules wrote:
Hmm. I have to admit, it is an unexpected and illogical decision. It was really unexpected…

I'm sure that if feedback was provided by other fans during that game's development, this choice would never have been made.
I suspect that they never considered that option.
In Fact, I suspect that playtesting was only done by the developers, and not by any players.

Furthermore, there is a nagging suspicion that Firaxis completely dismisses all feedback. Notice that the Official Pirates Web Page has NO link for any feedback. Also note that Firaxis never answers feedback fed to them from the Firaxis.com pages.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they dismiss all feedback. There was a beta with the PC version, and now with Civ IV there are a few hundred people giving feedback and reporting. For some reason it was not done with the Xbox version of Pirates!

Although I agree this is a bad choice, it won't kill the game.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are wrong. After decisions this bad, they Deserve to take a bath.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But remember, some companies do not even communicate with their customers AT ALL. The thing I love is that each time a game is released there are always Firaxians around here (like dshirk Smile ). Why would they be here if they didn't care what we thought?
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civrules wrote:
But remember, some companies do not even communicate with their customers AT ALL. The thing I love is that each time a game is released there are always Firaxians around here (like dshirk Smile ). Why would they be here if they didn't care what we thought?
Notice the lack of customer support link on the Priates! web page.

Like Walmart, they only make the show of caring what you thing, then toss it into file 13.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support is on the shoulders of 2K, not Firaxis (although you can certainly call up Firaxis). The 2K site is also a little limited on support. But I really hope that improves with them. It's about time. Very Happy
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civrules wrote:
Support is on the shoulders of 2K, not Firaxis (although you can certainly call up Firaxis). The 2K site is also a little limited on support. But I really hope that improves with them. It's about time. Very Happy
Post the link. Seems to be a missing item.

Hard to find = non-support.
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to 2K support:

http://www.2kgames.com/index.php?p=support

It is still WAY underdeveloped (with only one game listed). This really leads me to believe that they will be expanding that section...
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civrules wrote:

It is still WAY underdeveloped (with only one game listed). This really leads me to believe that they will be expanding that section...

Agreed. Check out their Pirates product page:
http://www.2kgames.com/index.php?p=games&platform=PC&title=piratespc

They still list it as "coming soon".... Wake up, 2K! Rolling Eyes

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyJim wrote:
Civrules wrote:

Just a continuation of the pattern of non-support.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyJim wrote:

Well, I guess this is because the official date of transfer from Atari to 2K was only recently, or is taking place one of these very days.

I hope that the "re-release" announcement will be when 2K and Firaxis announce or release the much-talked-about patch. Now that the X-Box version has been released, would be the perfect time to keep the iron hot... Or at least attempt to re-heat it.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a feeling we'll be getting more than just a patch. We'll have to see what happens, but there's more to this patch than just patching stuff. I can't imagine Firaxis having sat still for all these months, even if their publishing deal was in limbo. If it was just a patch, it would already be among us....
K-Bob
Swabbie

3314 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly Falconer has more contacts at Firaxis than me (# contacts == 0), so my comment below is just idle speculation.

However, I suspect that much of the delay and non-support from Firaxis has to do with Civ 4. That's the real meat of the Sid Meier / Firaxis franchise. I think Firaxis is putting all their energy into getting Civ 4 out this fall, safely before Christmas.

They realize that's where the big $$ are, not in putting out a patch for SMP. They've gotten all the $$ out us they're going to get, until they put out an expansion pack. And they'll make orders of magnitude less on that than they will on Civ 4.

The only business reason for putting out a patch at all is to keep us SMP gamers happy so some of us will buy the expansion pack in 2006 or so. If they don't patch SMP, the Civ fanatics will still buy Civ 4. They probably realize that they can always patch SMP when they do an expansion pack, if they make the expansion cool enough that we'll overcome our frustration with the original release.

I don't like it, but I suspect that's the situation.

<rant>
That being said, I don't think there's much excuse for the lame interaction between Firaxis and the fansites. If I was the Product Mgr/Producer for SMP, you bet I'd spend one hour cruising HoP, ATP, etc every morning, answering questions, taking suggestions, cheerleading, etc. I've been in software and product mgmgt for 18 years, and one thing you've always got to do is build and interact with the community, even and especially when they're upset at you.

Maybe that person has been reassigned to some other game... I hope Firaxis at least wakes up and makes someone in charge of community relations for SMP; it's really not that hard. You can bet they're doing it for Civ4! No offense to dshirk, who at least is helping us, but how lame is it that we're getting info out of their webmaster? Shouldn't someone associated with the damn product be doing that? Are they running a business there?
</rant>
OK, I feel (slightly) better now.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-Bob wrote:

The only business reason for putting out a patch at all is to keep us SMP gamers happy so some of us will buy the expansion pack in 2006 or so. If they don't patch SMP, the Civ fanatics will still buy Civ 4. They probably realize that they can always patch SMP when they do an expansion pack, if they make the expansion cool enough that we'll overcome our frustration with the original release.
They are taking great pains to teach us never to buy their products again.

I won't buy anything with their label on it until it has been on the market for a full year from now on. Expecting Firaxis to continue their record setting lows in customer support and service.

They have shown a total disregard for the customer.
(Non response to customer concerns, web pages that have no link to customer support, patches that do not do what they claim to do, persistent non-delivery of working patches)

We keep coming up with excuses for their irresponsible an inexcuasable behavior.

They have none nothing to justify our faith in them. Quite the contrary, they have repeatedly tought us to permanently shop elsewhere (On this product alone!).
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not get carried away here, guys.

One thing that needs to be understood is that _Atari_ (not Firaxis) was responsible for customer support and relations until very recently. Firaxis is a small game producing company who _do not_ do their own distribution or, traditionally, customer support either. They simply do not have the manpower to do that stuff - that's the very reason why we have separate distributors and game developers in the first place.

We all know how _badly_ Atari handled, and still handles, all things having to do with customer support. We also know that when the negotiations with T2K started, Atari pulled all support from Pirates! - why waste time on something that was not going to bring them more money anyway?

T2G bought the rights for both the X-Box, and _even more importantly_, for the PC version of Sid's Pirates! from Atari. This clearly tells us that Take2 and Firaxis has something in the works also for the PC community - be it a patch or an add-on pack or whatever, it will still be something.

Until very recently, the deal between T2K and Firaxis was still in transition - Firaxis' dshirk implied that Atari had been very slow in some areas that had to be done in order to get the new arrangement on its way.

With the release of the X-Box version of Pirates!, I believe that we will be looking forward to more news also about the PC version. dshirk already gave us an _advance notice_ that a patch would be on its way soon. The official announcement has not been made yet, but I believe that to be a matter of time only.

Patience is all that is asked from us (and it is also a virtue, so why not practice it? Wink ).
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Xbox Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: