Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Pirates! patch 1.0.2, hot off the press!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkk
Powder Monkey

187 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, now we can start waiting for 1.03 to really make a difference. Wink
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkk wrote:
Well then, now we can start waiting for 1.03 to really make a difference. Wink

I think the next version of pirate will be out before the arrival of patch 1.0.3
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey why not skip 1.0.3 and lets get to 1.1.0 version of the patch ... Laughing

Seriously guys to me the game was fine as it was with a few problems here and there. Everyone has a form of opinion and noone is right or wrong because its your personal opinion. As long as you enjoy the game is what matters. If you enjoy the game without the patches don't patch. If you think the new changes will create a new challenge to your game (which I think it will .... making a new strategy is always fun to me) then install the patch. I mean telling another player that what has been fixed isn't important to that person is just naive. It may not be important to you but its important to them so let the sleeping dog rest.

I have been reading all the responses going back and forth and I see valid points for each side of the coin so to speak. It seems Firaxis has made 50% happy and the other 25% sad and 25% indeifferent from what i see going on here. To me thats a feat in itself and shows they must being doing something right. There will always be people you can't please. In fact I have quams about the game myself. Like missing some important features from the Pirates! original game that I really and truly enjoyed and would have a blast with. the original pirates would have captains chas you that you couldn't escape from and anytime you tried to if you had a fleet some of them would come up missing from your fleet when escaping. I found this a very fun feature that I would love to see in this version. To face facts its not in this version but it does offer me a chance to play Pirates! again without having to break out mny Tandy 1000hx and boot that beast of a computer up.

All and all I would say if your still playing it even once and awhile you got your moneys worth and the replayability is there. If you don't like the new mechanics of the game ... then your probably a person that doesn't like change unless it benifits you. Take the changes as a new challenge and see if you can stomp a mud hole in the new patches design. If you seriously can't stand it.. All you have to do is uninstall the game and reinstall the game. nothing to it.

this rambling is opinions represented by me this is not final law or telling you what to do. Its matter of fact statements as I see them ... take it as is. Basically agree or at least agree to disagree with me.

PF
Guns Blazing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, PF Wink
As long as they changes are ok, i love all new changes and the new challenges the pose Smile
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
I must admit a bit of a disappointment at the way this patch turned out. After all the time we waited for it, I'd have appreciated even _minor_ changes to the game such as

- the removal of the wealth point cap (to make the game more open-ended)
- tougher sea battles and tougher sword fights at higher levels
- or any of the other small things that have been bought up by our members here...

I was even expecting some increased customisability to the game in the form of the main character's appearance...

But the programmers crossed the fence where it was the lowest, once again...

Well, perhaps we'll get an add-on pack or a sequel at some point in the future that will turn out to be a true "live the life" experience... Or perhaps I shall just look forward to Akella's Age of Pirates and see if that is what I'm looking for...
More like they dug a ditch under the fence first!

All this time to fix bugs that nobody ever saw.

And known bugs were ignored.
kernok
Swabbie

1099 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
you're right!

anyway if ya take a group of 100 people (regardless of sex, nationality, ect...) and if ya tell them
"hey ho!!! things are changing, rules won't be the same..."

it will always be 33 chaotic happy people singing their happiness, 33 cynic people sligtlhy laughting without giving their opinion, and 33 loyal unhappy people saying to themselves "its was better before"

Very Happy =======> humans

ps: the people missing is ME! sorry i was sleeping when the news came along

Wink
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right kernok!
I'll be the first to sing and dance happily with the changes Razz
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the game, I'm happy with the new patch and I'm happy that I have gotten all of this happiness out of only 40 bucks. Now thats a real good value for a buck in my book! Where on earth can you obtain that much happiness for such a small price? I'm just one very happy guy... Smile Laughing Mr. Green
Powder Monkey

519 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Take 2? Reply with quote

What and where is Take 2?
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out our links page Links It has the page for take 2 ... the division that is publishing Pirates! now is 2k games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CapnSunwolf
Powder Monkey

28 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor

ARR! I'm just glad I have a game that the blasted programmer boyz and corporation bother to support at all!

I've got a ton of games around here that 2 months errr more after they came out, the publishers removed the support pages for em and pretend they no longer even exist. Somes of them I bought when they were a year old and the company says "what game??"

Or they make 2 patches and forget major flaws in the original program: IE RCT3 having rides that drive through walls forgetting doors for them, or graphics that you cant adjust enough and it locks up big systems at 3 fps.

As fer as the Pirates! patch goes.. I'm very glad to see it!
Try having a 14 year career suddenly blow off the edge of the map and get stuck there. Even screwed with me saves. This when I've got Morgan in me sights on the map.\
Smoothed out me sailing greatly...

Now how about some add on packs like say... The mediteranean or the east indies. Plenty o pirating there in this period!! where do ya thinks the buccaneers come from.. ??

Thanks Firaxis for supporting your customers in a timely manner.. and thanks for bothering to care!

Capn Sunwolf
Sullaford
Swabbie

453 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm happy with the game, I'm happy with the new patch and I'm happy that I have gotten all of this happiness out of only 40 bucks. Now thats a real good value for a buck in my book! Where on earth can you obtain that much happiness for such a small price? I'm just one very happy guy...

I like to subscribe to the idea that happiness is free. Just go have a fun talk with a friend and BAM! instant happiness. Smile
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapnSunwolf wrote:
Sailor

ARR! I'm just glad I have a game that the blasted programmer boyz and corporation bother to support at all!

I've got a ton of games around here that 2 months errr more after they came out, the publishers removed the support pages for em and pretend they no longer even exist. Somes of them I bought when they were a year old and the company says "what game??"

Thanks Firaxis for supporting your customers in a timely manner.. and thanks for bothering to care!

Capn Sunwolf

I'm sorry but I disagree. Good software houses patch their games on a monthly or even weekly basis and even add free new content. Examples of this are Blizzard and Arenanet.
http://www.guildwars.com/news/gameupdates.html

Blizzard still patches games after years since they released them. Guildwars got over 20 patches over the last 5 months and lots of new content. That's what I call a game that's worth the 50 bucks Howie. Don't get me wrong guys, I love ya but Firaxis really disapointed me.

I like to call a cat a cat. Pirates live the life had a great start and I was really impressed by the game but no decent support and no new content (free or in the form of an expansion) turned the tide.

Peace!

Last edited by Gun Pierson on Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Karnik
Swabbie

3329 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun Pierson wrote:
Blizzard still patches games after years since they released them. Guildwars got over 20 patches over the last 5 months and lots of new content. That's what I call a game that's worth the 50 bucks

Interesting. My experience has been more that of CapnSunwolf (aside: Hey, Sunwolf, nice name. I really liked the first book). Most games I've played have never gotten sufficiently patched.

But there is another issue to number of patches, and that is how many bugs are in the original release. I don't know Guildwars, but I do have some experience with MUDs. And yeah, there's often new content, and a lot of new bug fixes. But there have to be a lot of new bug fixes, because there are so many bugs, especially in the new content. Looking at the bug fixes on that page, for instance, it looks like lots of stuff that just didn't get caught in time for the release, but should have. (Which is true of lots of the Pirates! bugs, too, of course.)

It'll be interesting to see whether Guildwars survives, it being a new economic model. Evidently they think they can generate enough new sales to keep their people paid, to generate new content and fix the bugs. At least for some years. One imagines that at some point, they'll have to stop.
Booty King
Powder Monkey

112 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this patch actually do anything that the previoius patch did not? I'm with Gun, the fact that the patch doesn't seem to have any expansions, or real fixes aside from a few aesthetic and convenience type bugs, is really quite disapointing. Did they fix the Raymondo duel in every tavern thing? That was really annoying. Aside from the missing "x" on treasure maps, I never had any real problems with bugs or crashes. I was hoping for more of an expansion, something to make the game more replayable, less repetitious, less generic in the way of nationality seeming to have no real effect on plot or game play in general. Don't get me wrong I'm not dissatisfied with the game I originally purchased, I was just hoping that this game was high enough up on their priority ladder to be elaborated on. "So long as it's not on the bottom rung", is not an attitude I readily embrace. So, like a true priate, I will disent and rebel in the face of things that are not how I deem that they should be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: