Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Pirates! patch 1.0.2, hot off the press!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swordfighting is definitely harder, at least on swashbuckler. In all my previous games, I had only lost ONE fight, and that was with a demon-possessed Raymondo and after I was over 50 years old. Since installing the patch, I find more opponents give me a challenge. I found one captain of the guard in a pub that I could not beat. I went after him seven times in a row and he beat me handily every single time. I hardly even laid a blade on him at all. He made me downright angry. I wanted to get my real rapier and run him through, but I didn't want to ruin my monitor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SlipperyJim
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
The swordfighting is definitely harder, at least on swashbuckler. In all my previous games, I had only lost ONE fight, and that was with a demon-possessed Raymondo and after I was over 50 years old. Since installing the patch, I find more opponents give me a challenge. I found one captain of the guard in a pub that I could not beat. I went after him seven times in a row and he beat me handily every single time. I hardly even laid a blade on him at all. He made me downright angry. I wanted to get my real rapier and run him through, but I didn't want to ruin my monitor.

I play at Adventurer level. So far, the difference seems to be the guys with rapiers, which now includes Monty and the English Captain of the Guard. Both of those twits have whupped me at least once.... I also had a tough time with a no-name pirate captain who was wielding (you guessed it!) a rapier.

No more rapiers for the badguys! Boo, hiss!

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... Concur... I love sword fight... so the patch upgrade definitely renew my wanting to play the game over and over again.

Currently... I am trying very hard to stay with cutlass... but... it definitely raise the sword fight to the next level against anyone else who uses a rapier.

Duelling The New Order of Knights... We fight for nothing but the gold. Gold is our honour.
Starry
Seaman

194 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karnik wrote:
It'll be interesting to see whether Guildwars survives, it being a new economic model. Evidently they think they can generate enough new sales to keep their people paid, to generate new content and fix the bugs. At least for some years. One imagines that at some point, they'll have to stop.

Guild Wars' model involves paid expansions about every six months. Think of it as about half/a third the normal MMO pricing scheme ASSUMING you buy the expansions.

Which, from what I've played, they definately will. I love that game, I love how they have it set up, and it can get boring occasionally but then I come back to it a few weeks later with no fees! To hell with other MMOs (Well, maybe Auto Assault if it's good enough...)

Also, since the servers are decentralized and community areas handle a lot less people than normal MMO servers, the bandwidth and server requirements are a lot less. Even so, though, the Friends List (unlike many MMOs, except City of Heroes) will catch yur friends no matter where they are.

There's no game that compares to GW's pricing model, or their server/network layout. I hope more games end up working that way. It's one hybrid I can definately live with!
Javi
Cutthroat

2778 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

Last week in NY and labour day tomorrow...
Great! A day to relax, i though, then i´ll visit the web to read news...
And, YES, I found this thread abour the NEW patch!!
Great, nobody say anything about having problems with it, so i´m gonna install it...
And... ... GREAT, i installed the new patch and i CAN´T PLAY THE GAME!!! Confused Sad Exploding

"Please insert the CD 2 and press Ok" It´s all i get when i tried to strat the game... Well, actually I HAVE THE CD 2 INSERTED, but nothing... If i press "ok" nothing new, if i press "cancel" it seems to start loading the game, but return to windows...

And I only have the CD 2 here! I left the CD 1 in spain: I CAN´T UNINSTALL AND INSTALL AGAIN!... Sad

Oh no, it´s seem that i´ll have to return to spain to play the game patched.... Sad Sad Any other idea, guys? Question
Cutthroat

2778 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhhmmm... I solved the problem, restauring my system... Then, i checked and YES the game works!

But... What is this? I saw, surpresid, the news screen: 2k, the new Pirates logo, etc... Then, i´m still having the pathc? Ummm, the menu screen says that i´m playing the 1.00 version, but, then, who changes the first screens? How can i know if i´m playing the game patched? Confused
Powder Monkey

1063 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Observations on 1.0.2 Patch Reply with quote

Arrr!! Hello again all. Hi I've been away from Pirates! for awhile (this is my first post since the move to HoP to give you an idea of how long). I got the e-mail about the release of the 1.0.2 Patch, got it, installed it and have been playing again almost every night since. My observations on the patch:

I started at the Journeyman level as it had been awhile and I had never progressed beyond the Adventurer level before. The first thing I noticed was that the dancing seems somewhat easier than I remember it. When I played before, I never ever did well enough to get the "cleavage shot". After installing the patch, I got a "cleavage shot" on my first dance (with an Attractive Daughter"). Victorious

I also noticed that the Hand Signal buttons flashed a bit earlier than they used to, which I think helped me that first time. I seem to recall reading something about that in the list of fixes for the patch. However, the next time I danced in that game, the Hand Signal flashes never showed up and haven't ever since! New bug, maybe? Lost

The other thing I noticed is that in the unpatched version all the Daughters had the same dances. That is, while there were more than one dance, any given Daughter could have any of the dancestep sequences. With the patch installed, it seems to me that the Attractive Daughters' dances are a bit more complex than the Plain Daughters', and the Beautiful Daughters' dances are bit more complex than the Attractive Daughters'.

Lastly, I've also noticed that the Sword Fighting has been "adjusted" some. While I was still a Journeyman Pirate, I encountered Marquis Montleban at sea. I saved the gave just before attacking his ship. Now in the past I had always fought using the Rapier for lightning fast attacks. Oh, yeah, when I started the game I chose Swordfighting as my skill. So, I jump Monty and get the stuffing beat out of me. Mad So I reloaded the saved game and tried again. He whaled to tar out of me again! Evil or Very Mad So I reloaded the game again. And again. And again. And... I tried him about 15-20 times and never beat him. I did notice that I did rather better when I used a Cutlass than with the Rapier. Only once did I manage to chase him up onto the poopdeck. I finally got too frustrated and, after reloading yet again, sailed away to continue my game elsewhere. After the first splitting of the booty Greedy, I advanced up to the Adventurer Level and have noticed that I'm definately more challenged now by all of the various swordfighters than I was before loading the patch. I even got beat by one those foppish Fiancés! That had never happened to me before. I had to chuckle though, when the Daughter says to me, "So Sorry. Maybe you should try my little sister." Laughing

Since installing the patch, I haven't tried a Land Battle or Sneaking into a Town so I have no observations there yet. Any one else?

Hey, Javi, got enough girls? Wink

Later Guys.

"Yes, I am a Pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over-forty victim of fate."
- Jimmy Buffett
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: