Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Is it just me...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Peter Blackthorne
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Is it just me... Reply with quote

... or does dancing get easier the further you are into the romance cycle with a particular daughter?

It seems to me that I hit more flourishes and stumble less frequently when dancing with my wife. And the most difficult dances are with daughters I've just met.

Could the game consider that the more you dance with someone, the more you "learn each other's moves," so to speak, and therefore the better in synch you'll be?

Just wondering.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i just think it's a placebo effect; you find it easier because you already has completed a dance with that particular daughter.

But i might be wrong, there may be different levels of difficulty in the first and second dances with each daughter
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:
Personally, i just think it's a placebo effect; you find it easier because you already has completed a dance with that particular daughter.

Have to agree with this remark. I think that once you've danced well with a particular lady, you find that you don't need to dance well with her a second time, and instead relax more and, as a result, dance better.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingWilly wrote:
Guru wrote:

Have to agree with this remark. I think that once you've danced well with a particular lady, you find that you don't need to dance well with her a second time, and instead relax more and, as a result, dance better.

Ok... The comment come from a "ballroom challenge pirate". I have been play at Swashbukler level for more than 2 months now...

I can tell you it is NOT the wife... but rather... experience... The more you dance the more you are able to catch up with the pattern. In my case, I do rely on all the dance gadget... and I only dance with "beautiful" girls... Longer songs... and more variety in practicing...
Capt Peter Blackthorne
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that dancing with the beautiful daughters is the easiest. Don't ask me why. They can have the most difficult patterns, but there seems to be more leeway in the timing.

The most difficult dances in my opinion are with the plain daughters. I stumble more with them than the other two types.

The easiest dances for me, by far, are with the wife. I really don't think it's my imagination. I think it's in the timing and the tolerances. It also seems to me that the better you dance in any given dance, the more leeway you have. IOW, the more you stumble, the less forgiving the timing is.

::shrugs:: Just my opinion based on my own experience.
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Peter Blackthorne wrote:
I find that dancing with the beautiful daughters is the easiest. Don't ask me why. They can have the most difficult patterns, but there seems to be more leeway in the timing.

The most difficult dances in my opinion are with the plain daughters. I stumble more with them than the other two types.

The easiest dances for me, by far, are with the wife. I really don't think it's my imagination. I think it's in the timing and the tolerances. It also seems to me that the better you dance in any given dance, the more leeway you have. IOW, the more you stumble, the less forgiving the timing is.

::shrugs:: Just my opinion based on my own experience.

I guess... there is a benefit to "courting" the wife over and over again... So... choose your "beauty" wisely...
ruf
Seaman

899 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of times it all depends on what song you have to dance to. There is one or two songs I just can't get the hang of. I may not stumble all the time, but I can't seem to find the beat for flourishes.
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same experience as this. I think it may have something to do with the fact that the plain daughters keep their hand signals 'hidden' until the last second, whereas the beautiful daughters seem to make it easier to pick where they are heading next.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Capt Peter Blackthorne
Cutthroat

1827 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess another factor is that when you're ranked a mere captain, your dancing skills are lower, while at the same time, you can only dance with plain daughters--a bad combination.
ElderP
Swabbie

1251 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in the end it is always: Practice, practice, practice! I have noticed for myself however that I find it easier to dance with the beautifull girls. Guess there is more incentive?!
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess another factor is that when you're ranked a mere captain, your dancing skills are lower, while at the same time, you can only dance with plain daughters--a bad combination.

Hmm... interesting way to look at the problem... But is that true? I know when I am at the rank of captain... I don't have the required gear to ease the dance issue. Thus, I don't even bother to try dance with the "beautiful
" girl... I just bypass them.

My personal take on the plain girl... seems to be easier no matter what. Maybe that is just my bias.
eladmardi
Powder Monkey

56 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just live life at sea Sailor
Bermuda_Shorts
Swabbie

156 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, but I find dancing with Spanish beauties the easiest, then ugly girls from any of the other countries, then English, French, and Dutch beauties. Attractive ones are somewhere in the middle. And ruf is right: some of the songs (the fast ones where you put your right hand behind your back) seemed harder for a long time. I could dance them easily without making mistakes, but also without pirouettes.

It took me months to finally figure out that it was because, while I was always watching HER hands to find out what move was next, I was, in my peripheral vision, watching MY hands to get a sense of the beat (the dancers' arms are raised and lowered to the beat, in case you didn't know; raised is halfway through the beat, lowered is on the beat), and having 1 hand behind my back for those dances confused my subconscious Mad

Ahh, the good old days.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two songs to which I dance no better than adequate, on matter what rating the governor's daughter has. If it weren't for the special footgear, I'd be going down in a sinking ship...

It seems to me that messing up a dance is tougher to take than losing a sea battle!
Blonde Pirate's Dad
Swabbie

3995 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier to dance with your wife than it is with someone new. I was married to a beatiful daughter in Tortuga and danced with another beatiful daughter in Havana and stumbled all over, even with the dancing footwear.
Anybody got a rag and a match?
Kaboom!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: