Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Help - Olmec city
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cifly
Powder Monkey

699 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Help - Olmec city Reply with quote

I know there has been a somewhat large amount of topics on this. And i have read them, and tried the various hints, but nothing seems to do the trick.

I have a blank map and this known line "Search North of Gran Granada".

I have walked in a direct line due North from Gran Granada to Marianna (see map included) and back again, both a little South SouthEast and South SouthWest. Nothing.

Does any of you have a clue of where my city could be? ...

robert
Swabbie

2074 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post the map?
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a typo, "S" and "SW"? I suggest you run up the Honduran coast. At various points get out and walk westward, looking for landmarks in the distance- don't forget side-to-side. Be sure to save the game before you disembark. Work the region horizontally, not vertically. Scan horizon to horizon. When you find the landmarks, reset, go directly to that section of coastline, and procede inland.
Powder Monkey

699 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea.

The compass; when i disembark and go west, my compass will show west also, right? - I'm just a little confused about it. And this big arrow and the red one. My manual dos'nt tell much about it.

Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cifly wrote:
Sounds like a good idea.

The compass; when i disembark and go west, my compass will show west also, right? - I'm just a little confused about it. And this big arrow and the red one. My manual dos'nt tell much about it.
It's not exactly a compass. What I do is park my ship at a ninety degree angle to the N/S axis, or as close as I can, then I put my back to my ship, then note where the brass arrow is pointing. That's my heading.
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North is North
South is South
East is West
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
North is North
South is South
East is West
And NEVER the twain shall meet! Hey, rupert.
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It _is_ a compass. Try holding a real compass in your hand and you'll see that the compass in the game works as it is supposed to.

When you hold a _real_ compass in your hand and head west, the arrow will point to your RIGHT (where the north obviously is) and when you turn to walk towards north, the arrow will point _ahead_. And when you head south, the arrow will point at your belly (towards north again). Similarly, when you head east, the arrow will point to your LEFT.

Compass will never point towards west when you are walking towards west.

The arrow ALWAYS POINTS TO NORTH!

Perhaps this will be the next lesson at the Pirate School over at HAP...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're on land, the direction your party is facing is always towards the top of the screen, while the compass needle points north. So if you're facing west, the compass needle is pointing to your right.

"Search North of Gran Granada", in my experience, almost always means "Search along the northern coast of Honduras", which is about as far north of Gran Granada as you can go before getting your feet wet.

If your "blank map" lacks even the red X and the legend Lost City of the Olmecs, then I fear you have been well and truly scrod by the dreaded no-X bug, Cifly. Apply the 1.0.2 patch and start another game.

Otherwise, sail along the northern coast of Honduras and land on the mainland when you encounter a coastal landmark (such as Captain Reef or Shark Rock), striking inland in search of the twin pillars that mark a lost city (since no coastline is on the map). Use your spyglass, especially atop ridges, to look across great distances.
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw's advice about the compass is right on. It takes some getting used to, but it does work if you pretend that is a real compass and remember that your intended direction of travel is different than just finding north - except in the rare instances when the two coincide. Don't know it it will apply to your situation, but all of my north of GG quests have ended up near the north coast - yes, up nearer all those pirate havens and settlements at the top of the screen shot and nowhere near GG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: