Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Why dont the bucaneers shoot sometimes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ1
Cutthroat

11541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Why dont the bucaneers shoot sometimes? Reply with quote

Sometimes when it is the bucaneers turn and I press 'SHOOT' a voice says 'O NO' or something like that. The bucaneers dont shoot and I loose one turn.

When does this happen? and why?
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- You have to check if your aim is blinkin'. For example: You you've aimed at some unit at the beginning of the turn, but decided to destroy it in another way. After it's dead (the same turn), the bucaneers aimin at that unit won't make the other aim variant active (blink). And they won't shoot anybody.
- Be easy as that. ARRR!!!! Twisted Evil

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
DJ1
Cutthroat

11541 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cp. Kain wrote:
- You have to check if your aim is blinkin'. For example: You you've aimed at some unit at the beginning of the turn, but decided to destroy it in another way. After it's dead (the same turn), the bucaneers aimin at that unit won't make the other aim variant active (blink). And they won't shoot anybody.
- Be easy as that. ARRR!!!! Twisted Evil

but it does blink.

I atleast think so.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes it fires without the animation.
Noticed the target flags being damaged.
GreyFox
Swabbie

663 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,happens to me too.
I think it's just a bug.
I think the target gets the damage,anyway and thats what matters after all,no?
Though it can be annoyin'.
WhiteHawk
Swabbie

140 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, I know it. I've seen pirates die without the pirate animation. I just told them to fire, they didn't, but the enemy still fell to the ground.. Must've fainted when they saw the big guns. Twisted Evil Guns Blazing
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could be drinkin' on the job!
Swabbie

2010 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you have to remember is that you need to be at least 4 squares form the target and then they have to see them. If you are 2 blocks into some trees, your Bucaneers can't see the target, and need to move.

This is true if you are out of the trees and there are trees between you and the target.

I find that getting my bucaneers in range first, and then sneaking my pirates and officers around through the cover of trees is a pretty fool proof technique.

Your buc's pick them apart, or flat out destroy a unit, and then the pirates and officers just mop up what's left.

Remember guards and infantry need to be within 2 squares. notice the range difference.

Plus bucaneers can move one space, and then fire (if they are in the open), and that can be enough to really swing the odds in your favor.

Break forth cutlasses and pistols men, and remember the hell that forged you!!

YARR!!
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to keep two squares between your Bucs and other units...other than cavalry or mercenaries who have better mobility. You can move the Bucs one square, then fire, using the traditional "line of fire" tactic perfected by the Brits. Three Buc unit shots usually kill a unit, so being right next to the unit you're firing upon is okay. Just make sure the next opponent is two squares away, so they won't be assaulted hand-to-hand. Taking a step back and firing three volleys into the next unit, and so on, usually keeps your Bucs in a safe, but advantageous position.

Concentrate your fire. When you select a start position, try to pick a spot where the enemy has to cover open ground to reach you. I flank my Bucs with pirate units to take care of anyone trying to get too close. Never let mercenaries near your Bucs, use your pirates on them to protect your ranged attack. Always take out the cavalry first, whenever possible, using your Bucs. If an enemy has landed NEXT to a Buc unit with no infantry response on your part, you screwed up!
Swabbie

2010 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw,

I find another one that is good is if you get a double row of rocks in the way.

I have had a few times where I bellied my buc's up against the rock, and had at it.

The enemy troops had to go all the way around to get them, and I put my pirates and officers in the way. Normally I buried them in the trees right on the flanks.

The ultimate best is a double row of rocks and trees to hide in.

The buc's are the difference between winning and losing a battle if you ask me.

YARR!!
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That is indeed prime. You almost have to feel sorry for the poor buggers. I've had enemy try to come up the row in single file. There's one outside Panama called "The Bloody Trough." EW. Who's stopping them from surrender? Poor lads.
Swabbie

2010 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw, you bring up a great point, why don't they surrender after taking heavy losses?

I have occasionally attacked a town with superior numbers, and slaughtered like 3 units in one turn, but they keep coming!

For God sakes man!! Surrender!

Like that would save them either, hehehehehehe!

YARR!!
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was never talk of surrender in those days. Guns Blazing
It' was either kill or die trying .
I find that if you can line up your bucs on a rise behind the rocks is great. Then working my pirates around and though the bushes works . i always try and change my starting point to my advantage .close to the beach is no good . back terrein I find the best . As for the bucs shooting , I have experienced the same but you can see the damage done in % above the units . I try and hid my pirates in the bush and attack when the time comes Duelling
It's those indians that get me with their archers.
they are good in the bushes, open grown and long rtange archery Guns Blazing
It's a pity we cannot take our cannons ashore Shocked Confused Exploding
JonathanS
Swabbie

536 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is a late post, but I wish there was someway that you could begin the attack on a city like you do with enemy ships instead of waiting for the port to fire on you, like a surprise attack or something.

My tactic I like to do is the surround effect, keep my troopers spread so they can't try to flank me and then close in on them so many units can engage theres in the same turn.
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can choose which unit you want to move first . Wink
move your mouse over the unit you want to move and left click Thumbs Up
In this way you can manouver your bucaneers into the bushes if they have cavalry, or your pirates depending what units the enemy have. Guns Blazing
Unfortunately you only have pirtates and buccaneers. Lost
If you play chess, you will never lose a land battle Wink
I will take some screen shots for you and post them . Worship

Most important, don't sack a city if you have less men that the enemy. Excited It's brave Innocent but you will have a big disadvantage Exploding Excited I personaly never have and never will. Cool
There are times that you will never take a city , the first time. Confused I automatically walk out and back in for another land battle. It is wise to get more men in the tavern if you coming for the 2nd round Thumbs Up Duelling Victorious
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: