Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

INTEL Graphics chipsets -- Possible solutions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: INTEL Graphics chipsets -- Possible solutions Reply with quote

OK I have seen lots of issue resulting from intel graphics chipsets. I hope this sticky is helpful please post fixes and helpful ideas for those that get it to run

Check http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1567&highlight=intel for a possbile fix Has another link inside it for tnl emulator but not sure if it is valid. I will try to pull more of the information into this Sticky later on.

Another is completly increasing all settings to max
make sure you have the latest patch
Get another video card if this is possible for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: INTEL Graphics chipsets -- Possible solutions Reply with quote

PiratesFan wrote:

Get another video card if this is possible for you.

I would suggest this as a solution because Intel doesn't make very good graphics chips. Most of them are built on to the main board which results in the graphics chip wanting to use main memory.

Get an Ati or Nvidia. Even if it's a low cost solution you can't go wrong with either of these. Every one supports them... Wink
Powder Monkey

698 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my casual gaming, I've learned a little about graphics. I'm not claiming to be any kind of an authority or expert on the matter, but simply that I will share what little I have learned.

1) Intel chipsets are not good at all, but there are a couple of things that can make them a wee bit better. First is the 'Virtual Memory' settinbgs in Windows, which can be changed from the Windows default, and should be. Under Windows XP, this can be done by:

Control Panel --> Performance and Maintenance --> System --> then click the 'Advanced' tab and the 'Settings' button under 'Performance.' This will bring up a 'Performance Options' window, and you click the 'Advanced' tab. You'll see a section called 'Virtual Memory,' and you click the 'Change' button to bring up the Virtual Memory window.

Click the 'Custom' selection and set your 'Initial Size' to double your system's RAM (example: if you have 1GB or 1024MB of RAM, you would set this number to 2048). Set your 'Maximum Size' to four times your RAM (example: if you have 1GB or 1024MB of RAM, you set this 4096). Then click 'Set' and then click the 'OK' buttons to close the windows.

2) Intel chipsets also seem to work better when your monitor has the specific driver applied to it. I've noticed that most computer systems, by default, use the standard Microsoft 'Plug & Play Monitor' driver for the monitor rather than a driver from the manufacturer of the monitor. You'll need to know which brand and model monitor you have, and if you don't have the disk for the monitor driver (which is usually an .inf file), you can commonly download the driver from the manufacturer's website or somewhere else on the web.

3) It also helps to know what the "aspect ratio" of your monitor is. Most older CRT monitors use a 4:3 aspect ratio (such as 1024 X 768 or 800 X 600 pixel resolutions), but many of the newer 'flat panel' LCD monitors are using either a 'widescreen' aspect ratio of 16:9 (such as 1280 X 720) or a 5:4 ratio (such as 1280 X 1024). If your chosen screen resolution doesn't match the aspect ratio of your monitor, it can create elongated graphics or cause some graphics-dependent programs to not work properly. As far as I know, the game Pirates! does not support a 5:4 aspect ratio screen resolution, which results in your graphics gettinga little 'taller.'

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but I thought I'd share the little bits that I learned.
malik66
Powder Monkey

13 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest this as a solution because Intel doesn't make very good graphics chips. Most of them are built on to the main board which results in the graphics chip wanting to use main memory. techmagzine.com

Last edited by malik66 on Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
corsair91
Sailing Master

206141 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single most important thing about Notebooks with integrated graphics
is first determine what software you are actually going to use on it
before you buy it and not after.

Assume nothing but find out other people's reaction to that model.
A little research can save you a lot of grief later.

The rule of thumb used to be anything graphically beyond Windows XP
Solitare or Office Applications such as Microsoft Word, forget about Intel
Integrated Graphics.

That leaves Nvdia or AMD (formerly ATI Graphics).

Nvidia typically do expensive top-of the range gaming notebooks chipsets
(Desktop replacements and not cheap)

AMD is a more affordable entry level option.
CPUs with integrated Graphics option
but this is a fully featured Radeon graphics chipset to a price.
(As notebooks are typically non-upgradeable later, the more you pay the better the graphics)
GOG for example sell lots of Directx9c or earlier games that would comfortably run on this hardware.

If buying a notebook now, consider the leveno AMD Ryzen Thinkpad range
or other AMD similar notebook models, NOT intel.
if you have the slightest casual gaming requirements.

There are forums full of people with problems running games on Intel
Integrated Graphics Chipsets and the basic problem is the lack of
included features as intended for Office software and not games.
Not buying it is the best solution in the 1st place.

Gaming is better done on a System with say for example a mini-Tower
case if you have the physical space for it and don't need to move it about.
Do you really need a highly integrated laptop or notebook
as is really not the best computer format for Gaming.

Most Gaming companies don't even bother testing their games with Intel Integrated Graphics because of the known poor gaming performance.

Warning:
Nvidia typically do a cheap office app replacement
graphics card for Facility management companies who need
a source of replacement office app graphics cards.
These are totally unsuitable for gaming regardless of the Geforce card branding. So Avoid. Always Check the Graphics hardware feature spec
especially for shader hardware included.
If the price is too good to be true it probably is because of the lack of features or card capability.
Nvvidia also have a habit of increasing the graphics memory on old graphics hardware cards knowing people may look at the amount of memory only and not the card features.

Always Checkout the card feature spec and look at what the games you wish to play list as the minimum requirement. You have to match that
or exceed it.

Most computer engineers absolutely loath working with notebooks or laptops. Disassembling these is probably as close to bomb disposal a
civilian can experience (only you have no idea which wire to cut).

Buy a good warranty with notebooks or laptops with an
authorised service centre who have the parts, training & experience to
handle these products properly.
A good engineer will refer you to the OEM manufacturer's Service centre on these products for hardware issues

My preferred Computer case format is a floor standing mini-tower
as most expandable with lots of internal room
(especially for cooling fans)
and doesn't require any desk space for the system case.
(Short cable lengths are an ongoing issue)

With Older games and a fast CPU, You may be able to try
Software Rendering in the Game Graphics Options Config if available.
Something you need to test to see if it works & has acceptable
performance.

You may get lucky and have 3rd party fan replacement game shaders
for your specific game.
Seem to recall TES Oblivion had this after Launch by Game User Fans,
to increase the Graphic card support.

Last edited by corsair91 on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:36 am; edited 7 times in total
corsair91
Sailing Master

206141 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Software_D3D9 Reply with quote

Software_D3D9

https://github.com/code-tom-code/Software_D3D9

Source Code only, Visual Studio 2017 or higher

Software D3D9
Performs software emulation for all of Direct3D 9 and Direct3D 9Ex via a proxy DLL (drop-in proxy replacement for Microsoft's official d3d9.dll).

This project is intended to be a working full software emulation of Direct3D9 for educational purposes.

It is intended to work with real games and other programs, and eventually should support a high level of compatibility with a wide range of existing D3D9 games and programs.

Since this is software emulating hardware, this will never be as fast as a real GPU.
corsair91
Sailing Master

206141 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D-Analyze 2.36b

(10.12.2004)

3D-Analyze is an utility for transform and lightning hardware emulation.
So it is very useful to run the T&L based games with a wide range of video cards and GPUs that have not on board dedicated circuits for T&L calculations (like all 3dfx Voodoo, PowerVR Kyro, some AMD / ATI Radeon and older graphics cards). 3D-Analyze uses the power of central processing unit, or CPU, to do the emulation.

(as far as I can recall this was DirectX9 Shader 2.0 only
and did not emulate DirectX9c shader 3.0
so not all that useful back in the day,
with a Fast CPU your mileage may vary

The best hardware emulation is typically a Visa/Mastercard Purchase
of the real thing, Sodas excluded)

http://www.tommti-systems.de/
(files Section)

https://www.tommti-systems.de/go.html?https://www.tommti-systems.de/main-Dateien/files.html

also

Hosting Sites
https://games.softpedia.com/get/Tools/3D-Analyze.shtml
https://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/download/

Screenshot
https://www.3dfxzone.it/images/?h=1&object=3D-Analyze_2.jpg

3D-Analyze forum
https://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/index.php?board=46

How to use 3D Analyzer.[Tutorial]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuucIaY-03k

How to Change High Graphic Game to Low Graphic Game with 3D Analyze

https://www.wikihow-fun.com/Change-High-Graphic-Game-to-Low-Graphic-Game-with-3D-Analyze
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: