Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

top 10 games
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: top 10 games Reply with quote

The topic about the amount of time you've spent on games gave me sort of an idea for anyone who has the time to do this. Fill out a list of your top 10 favorite games of all time. Also put the type of game in. However I do need to post some rules to this.

1. Consider things based on the Era they came out. Its not fair to compaire Super Mario Brothers to Doom 3 off of graphics or complexity of game play. If you think Mario was the best game until the N64 then it probably deserves a spot.

2. The game has to have been out and played by you for more then 1 year. I don't belive you should put a game like Civ 4 in that you've just started playing without giving it fair time to soak in and see if its been worth the while.

On top of this I think you should post the most underrated game of all time (in your opinion) and the most overrated game of all time. Also if you feel up to it post the top 5 game series overall. (Series must have 3 or more games) Perhaps even your favorite types of games.

Ok here is my list.
1. Counter-strike-----------------------On-line FPS
2. Medieval Total War -----------------Strategy
3. Civ 3 --------------------------------Strategy
4. Grandia 2 ---------------------------RPG
5. Everquest ---------------------------Online RPG
6. Final Fantasy IX --------------------RPG
7. Command & Conquer Red Alert - RTS
8. Doom 2 ---------------------------- FPS
9. Rome: Total War ------------------ Strategy
10. Imperium Galactica 2 ------------ RTS

Overrated: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas The whole series sucked and SA was just the culmination of great suckyness

Underrated: Imperium Galactica 2 I've said it before and I'll say it again, if this game could get some solid advertising and a big name on it, it would sell TODAY for $50. And it came out I think in the late 90's The lack of a name and advertising budget are the biggest tragedy of this game.

Best series of all time:
1. Final Fantasy: They have put out about 15 different games under this title and none to my knowledge have flopped. I only had one of these games in my top ten but if I did my top 20 then at least 3 more would have made it.

2. Doom: of all of them only Doom 2 didn't make a significant change of the entire gaming world

3. Total War: 2 of three of these have been major hits and they improve each time they come out. MTW 2 will improve further still. All of them have been great games that have pushed the limits of strategy gaming.

4. Civilization: This would be better but I think the lack of significant improvement from Civ 3 to Civ 4 has really hurt this series. However this has always been one solid title.

5. Command and Conquer: At least 4 titles (if not more) out and all of them very solid, well made games. And these where made back in the 90's.

My favorite types:

1. Strategy games
2. RPG's
3. FPS

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
TheSpanishRenegade
Cutthroat

1674 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: top 10 games Reply with quote

kvollmer wrote:

Overrated: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas The whole series sucked and SA was just the culmination of great suckyness

I will have to disagree with that, I'm afraid
The very first two games of the series were quite fun. GTA 3 was worth playing, if only to see what they made out of the change of the graphics. Any part that came out since then just didn't live up to the feel of the original... But that is just my opinion.
Cp. Kain
Gunner

4815 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- And VICE CITY was nice...as well as London. SA sucked - i admit it...
- And I be placing MOO2 as the best TBS of ALL TIMES. Twisted Evil

Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Rock'n'Roll, Rock'n'Roll itself can be the right course?
van boelken
Seaman

492 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacred 1 - 2
Freelancer
NeverWinterNights!!!
Silent Storm
Call Of Duty
IL2-Sturmovik
Silent Hunter 2
Fallout
kvollmer
Cutthroat

6103 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Sad Reply with quote

Its pretty sad that of all those games I've only played Call of duty. Come to think of it call of duty is like the only one I've heard of.

Kirk Vollmer
Don't ever call me Captain Kirk.
Valparaiso University Alumni; Class of 2004
Piecesofeight
Powder Monkey

149 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Star Wars Knights of the Old republic
2. Fifa 2005 (2006 is far better though)
3. Pirates! Sailor
4. Star Wars Kotor 2
5. Pirates Of the Caribbean
6. Morrowind
7. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
8. Championship Manager 01/02
9. Star Wars Jedi Academy
10. Fight Night 2004

Overrated: Any Tomb Raider Game.
Underrated: Animal Crossing Thumbs Up

~Piecesofeight~
on the beach drinking rum?
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEN? Geez. Top however many...Age of Empires 3 for my God Game.
Pirates! 2 for my...SINNER Game!
Battlefield 2 for my obsession.

boom!
Swabbie

663 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the KOTOR series alot too,but my favorite series definetely be Metal Gear Solid,Civilization,Final Fantasy and Panzers.

My favorite types are Strategy,Action and (MMO)RPG. Smile

I wouldn't know what to type for a list,but I know it would involve a few Game Boy Advance title,amongst the RPG and Strategy series,quite a few console series within the Action type,and quite some others,and mostly PC titles, with all kinds of gametypes.All but sport,perhaps.Depends if Burnout counts.It's the only racing game I ever liked.
But the best games,If I really had to pick one,would be strategy/rpg's.
They have it all,and are simply amazing.
Whether it got a futuristic theme (StarWars),feudal one(Total War) or especially WW2(Panzers),it is a fine gametype who doesn't lack a thing in any possible way.Of course,some might think differently,but in my opinion,it's the perfect overall gametype.Also because its a hybrid of the two best Wink

Last edited by GreyFox on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHawk
Swabbie

140 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacred? SACRED!?!?! Oh, I'll show you sacred allright, here take this... BEHOLD the mightiest game ever.(for GBA too): Excited "Tactics Ogre: The Knight Of Lodis" Excited For ever....ever.. It's probably the best mix of RPG/Strategy ever. And the while most games may have good gameplay at the expense of a bad storyline, this game could make a book. Reading Of course, the rest of the series are honorable mentions. But this one was almost reached perfection..

Of course, in the top ten are included: Metal Gear Solid Series, Civilization, Final Fantasy, Onimusha... etc..

On another note: Favorite types are: MMORPG, RPG, Strategy, Action, Simulation ( Only some tough, like stealth simulators, wich come to think of it deserve a section of their own: ), Tactical Stealth (Wee... Metal Gear)... etc..
GreyFox
Swabbie

663 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah,yes.
The mightiest game ever invented.
I pity the poor soul who never played.
ledhed
Cutthroat

3392 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncharted waters new horizons -snes
FF tactics
diablo II
PTO II
PTO IV
Civ IV
Panzer general
code name panzers phase one and two
GTA III - Vice City and San Andreas
FF VII -VIII- IX- X
champions of Norath and baldurs gate .
Nikitas
Powder Monkey

179 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: top 10 games Reply with quote

kvollmer wrote:
Underrated: Imperium Galactica 2 I've said it before and I'll say it again, if this game could get some solid advertising and a big name on it, it would sell TODAY for $50. And it came out I think in the late 90's The lack of a name and advertising budget are the biggest tragedy of this game.

Yeah it was a pretty cool game, but the space and ground combat was kind of limited. Basically, at the end of the game, you didn't really need a mixed fleet, just mass the best unit and you win.

Anyway, I don't really have a top ten list but I will offer my prediction as to the best game of all time, at least for the near future.

1) Oblivion

Morrowind had a good deal of depth, at least in regards to the lore. Now that they are updating the graphics and breathing some life into combat and the NPCs, it's going to be a great RPG for sure.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 10 is impossible for me, I've played over than 1,000 different games so far in life, and I make it a point to play only the good ones. I could list 50, but that's not for here.

rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll bite.

1) Tic Tac Toe
2) Checkers
3) Hide and go seek
4) post office
5) cribbage
6) curling
7) go fish
8 ) hiking
9) night adventure driving (in any major city) trying to find a drug-store (related to #4)
10) e-bay
WhiteHawk
Swabbie

140 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, I would not agree with Tic-Tac Toe being one of the best games in ever, but I'm giving it a discount, since after all.. its was said that games of old cannot be compared to current games graphics wise... We all know real life graphics are no match for Pirates.. =P Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Other Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: