Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Chat interface
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like this site to have a CHAT module?
Yes
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Can't be done
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I like it, but I doubt enough people would use it to make it worthwhile
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Chat interface Reply with quote

I've seen this on other forums and was wondering if it was possible, or useful, to add a "quickchat" module to this forum. One where you can converse with all the other pirates (including guests?) who are online at the moment, and keeps an archive of the most recent text lines. Simple, one-line chat. It'll save the need for Private Messages (which can clog up due to the limit on how many you can keep) and also facilitate quicker response.

Interesting?

Possible?

TheSpanishRenegade
Cutthroat

1674 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a quick chat feature on several boards. On some it works fine and on some it 's just there and nobody ever uses it. I think it would be a worthwile addition to our board if enough people use it, so I voted YES...
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chat: Ok fellow Pirates, lets coordinate our attack on Montalban's stronghold.

Chat: Hawkes, you attack from the sea
Chat: Headrock, you bombard from land.
Chat: Wolfwood, you infiltrate and torch the armory

Chat: Oh %$#@ this chat line is public access, everybody over to MSN.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. You really want me to drive you crazy? I'd use it.
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the chatbox on the side would be nice. I don't see many pirates online , at the same time to congest the chatbow and it would really be helpful for some quick solutions . Duelling
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I'm a bit late here, but still:

There was a plan between us and PiratesAhoy to have a shared chat area, but then it was basically forgotten when not enough people were interested in it... But I haven't really looked into chat boxes, I must admit... They might be a little different than an actual chat page...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shout boxes I've seen on BF 2 forums. They're interesting. They're constantly active and don't require launching a chat interface. People can run into each other sometimes and say a word or two.

I've operated a community chat function which was very time consuming to keep active. There's a certain amount of management required, and a representative from the "organization" must almost always be "in" and be "chatty" as well. I did that for the MSN Writing Forum for six years. We averaged twenty people in our chat room 24/7, but had 1500 active forum members who had a lot to say given the subject - writers chatting about writing.

For this community the shout box might be just an addition to add some spice. Though, it's a longshot as to who, if anybody, would be "in" there to chat to on any given visit. I'd participate if we had one.

(Hey there, Wolfwood! I hope all is going well with you!)
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
(Hey there, Wolfwood! I hope all is going well with you!)

I've been absent and absent-minded for a while, haven't I? Question

(Wolfie starts to rant)
This spring's been really busy for me, as I'm constantly changing jobs. My doctoral dissertation is ready and all it misses is the public defence but it seems that the summer vacations will start before all those who have to be there will find an opening in their schedules - that will mean delaying getting my degree out until next autumn... The downside of this is that I cannot sign in on any long-term jobs, unless the party that hires me understands that my salary should go up the very moment I get my "hat" (or they hire me with a good salary from the start). Because of this, I've been pretty stressed out for a few months now, wondering where I get each month's bread on my table... Thus far, there've been enough short-term reseach projects to keep me going...
(Wolfie stops ranting)
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Captain Laffite
Seaman

948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main question is, if there was a chat interface, would you get gold for speaking in there, or just if your post on the forums? If somebody handles all their talking in the chat area, then they will never get any gold because they'd have no use for posting. Arr!
Of cabbages--and kings!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, even if there was one, there would be no way to connect it with the gold mod that I can see. Unless one of you guys is a gifted coder...? Question
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Because of this, I've been pretty stressed out for a few months now, wondering where I get each month's bread on my table... Thus far, there've been enough short-term reseach projects to keep me going... (Wolfie stops ranting)

Yeah, but think of what an interesting biography you'll have when it's all said and done! Very Happy
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Laffite wrote:
The main question is, if there was a chat interface, would you get gold for speaking in there, or just if your post on the forums? If somebody handles all their talking in the chat area, then they will never get any gold because they'd have no use for posting. Arr!
I would hope the reason folks would participate in a chat function would be their interest in comeraderie, not compensation. If you're there to say "hey", I'd say "hey" right back atcha. If you're there to get paid, I doubt I'd have much to say.
Seaman

948 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean it in a way just to get paid. I meant that it is a fun twist to make money for your chat. Its an additional thing to do, check your gold, buy stuff, show it off. I personally wouldn't fret, but I do think the twist of being able to manage your gold from your chat not available would bother some.
Of cabbages--and kings!
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay. I was just being my usual, caustic self. Still, I think just having gold for posting on the board here is an incentive to keep some semblence of activity, which we need, really.
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had live chat before... it didn't work out to well. I would be in it for hours and maybe 1 other person may show up. Wasn't all that it was cracked up to be but who knows may be different this time around but doubt it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: