Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

New Ship Mods
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lill-Troll
Seaman

3042 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to teh info I've read, they didn't exist as such prior to 1628 at least. That's the year Wasa was completed, and subsequently sunk on her Maiden Voyage.

Though Wasa was called a Fore-runner of "Ships of the Line"

I would believe the concept of forming Battlelines appaered somewhere around 1625-1635 though. Most "real" SoL's would not likely be built until around 1650 I imagine. Both Naval and Land-combat was advanced rather rapidly during that period of time
Klon
Powder Monkey

10 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The most common size of sail battleship was the "74", originally developed by France in the 1730s, and later adopted by all battleship navies. Until this time the British had 6 sizes of battleship, and they found that their smaller 50- and 60-gun ships were becoming too small for the battle-line

The Ship of the Line in Pirates! has only 48 guns. So it's not like it's a stretch to think that ship like the SoL in this game are unreasonably out of place.
Grappler
Powder Monkey

374 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoot if we could add ships we would have to add some really rare 1st rate SOLs with the 128 cannons, man can you imagine the devistation you could cause with that, a full broadside of that and man, look out, you could demast anything you could get close enough too, and do it with grapeshot probably, lol, man I am have wonderfully awful visions of the mayhem and devistation I could cause if I got me one of those ad boys Twisted Evil but I am a horrible horrible pirate as I am a pryomaniac and that many things blowing up at one time and flying off and blowing another ship up would be more than I could resist, I would end up putting treasure fleets on the bottom of the ocean, it would be sad really, all that gold wasted, guess I would have to limit myself to chain and grapeshot and just be content to watch masts falling over in one broadside, and probably even partial broadsides, man it would be fun though Very Happy to bad we can't even mod them in for a joke game to blow up everything and everyone Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: