Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

How much of the Map do you need?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobbyChicken
Powder Monkey

224 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: How much of the Map do you need? Reply with quote

I have been buying the entire map before searching for the treasure. I assumed the treasure wouldn't be there unless you did that. Because since treasure is always in the same general location you wouldn't even need the map. So do you need part of the map, all of the map of none of it to have the treasure actually be there?
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first part of the map places the treasure.
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and freaks of nature like rupert don't even need the other three parts Razz

BobbyChicken
Powder Monkey

224 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll save me a bit of gold.
ledhed
Cutthroat

3392 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have usually been able to find stuff with the first or second part only I rarely if ever need the whole map.
Stryker1sf
Powder Monkey

709 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually depends on what landmarks and what piece(s) of the map you get when you get the first piece. I've been able to find things with just one piece of the map Very Happy There have been other times where it's a struggle to find the thing with all four pieces (namely the lost cities and Monti's hideout). Mad So it pretty much depends on each individual situation. It also helps if you can remember, "Hey, I remember that landmark!" or if you have the Dutch and/or Spanish Rutters to use small town references.
gamellron
Powder Monkey

105 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: i have noticed Reply with quote

that (at least on aprentice) pirates arent very inventive. 4 pirates buried their treasure on the island south of martinique and west of barbados. (within 20 feet of each other actually). in this case...only needed the first piece. this was promptly followed by 4 treasures buried by santamarta...all right next to each other...one of which was the length of an indian totem away from the sister rescue.

im all for an easy setting...but that was a bit much.
Lill-Troll
Seaman

3042 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some cases, I only need the first part. Depends on where it's placed. If I get a Landmark that I recognize, I go for it, or if I get the lower rigth corner so I see what City it is in the vincinity of.

In the later case, I just love to get Trinidad, Martinique or Guadelope. Makes it real easy to fins, as the area around aint exactly classifiable as large
Captain Redbeard
Seaman

1466 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I need is the piece that tells me where to look (ie. in the vicinity of Margarita, north of Gran Granada, ect.) and the piece with the X. Then I can find my way since those will often have enough landmarks. Tho I usually get all the pieces since some landmarks appear everywhere and coastal landmarks are easier to go from since you see them even when you're not on land.
Swabbie

2171 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ones on Puerto Rico ("vicinity of San Juan") are rather easy; usually you'll be able to tell it's there even without a coastal mark or town of any sort, and the island is so small that it hardly takes any time to find it even without the X.

Oddly, I've noticed that even if you just need the piece with the X, repeatedly reloading and getting it again will move it around a bit. This becomes very obvious when you're first learning dancing with a beautiful daughter. It seems that even though one piece is all that's needed to place the object somewhere, it can move from this spot when you get the piece with the X.

neverwhere
Powder Monkey

70 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One or two pieces, it depends. If it's a place I remember only the X piece, otherwise I need also the name of the town.

from The Hoghfather, Terry Pratchett
sk8erkillinu
Swabbie

838 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get all the map unless it does not have a coastal landmark or name of a city to look near. sometimes if you just have one piece of the map but it doesn't have a coastal landmark and you sail around one of the reefs or shoals will start flashing treasure landmark Finding Treasure even if it's not on your map Exclamation Shocked Smile
Bermuda_Shorts
Swabbie

156 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just this afternoon I was lucky on adventurer, found Henry Morgan's treasure roughly south-west of Havana, then docked in a tiny settlement (named Gibraltar, not to be confused with the town Gibraltar) near where I found the treasure, and the mysterious stranger sold me a piece of a map showing the location of Blackbeard's treasure and lo and behold -- it was buried less than a day's walk south of Gibraltar Very Happy

I always find relatives a tiny bit harder, and monty's hideout usually takes me all the pieces to find, but lost cities... I can have all 4 pieces and the lost cities will stay lost for a very, very long time Wink

Ahh, the good old days.
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that most of the treasures are near or around San Juan.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bllasae wrote:
I've noticed that most of the treasures are near or around San Juan.
Treasure maps are generated according to the area of the port where you get the first map piece from the mysterious traveler. If you go to the tavern in Maricaibo and get the first map piece from the Traveler there, then the treasure will be near that area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: