Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Stupid Montalban and you stupid hideout!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looger
Powder Monkey

363 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Stupid Montalban and you stupid hideout! Reply with quote

I can't find Montalban's blasted hideout...I go to the little skull landmark at sea, but once I go ashore, I can find about one landmark, and that is about it. I don't think his city or any of the landmarks are there! All I can find beyond the first landmark are geysers, and Montalban's hideout is by two deserted cabins that DON'T EXIST! Evil or Very Mad
Does anyone have any tips for this, or should I just give up on finding Montalban?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you're starting at the right sea landmark? Sometimes more than one of those landmarks can have the same name.

Try walking through the geysers. If you can walk through them, then they don't correspond to anything on a treasure map - they're just window dressing. But if you cannot walk through them, then keep looking.

Montalban's hideout is always harder to find than pirates' buried treasure chests. Don't give up!
Looger
Powder Monkey

363 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found his hideout. There were two Cutthroat points Evil or Very Mad
Both of which were southeast of Compeche! Evil or Very Mad
IT really made me angry.

But it's not as bad as the last city map I have that just has NO landmarks on it.
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you HAVE landmarks, or more accurately, sea marks.
I got a map to a lost city, the darned thing doesn't have one water marker on it. It's all land with no sea bearings whatsover.
To make matters worse, all the direction I get is "search south and east of Campache".
There's about a zillion miles of coastline there.
With no sea bearing to tell me where to land, I'm simply out of luck.
I've tried every inch of coastline, but cannot find a single landmark that corresponds to what I have on the map.
I've tried the walk through the geysers method, and I can walk through every one of them.
So far, NADA.
I've moved on, and should be forcibly retired soon, but it is still frustrating. Mad

Ah, well....
Games still too fun to be legal. Laughing
logansackett
Powder Monkey

743 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!! That is really aggravating. One time I had a land only map that said "North of Gran Granada" and it woun d up being almost up in Texas! Sailor Surprised Reading
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrating indeed!
I never did find that lost city and I was forcibly retired from that game last night.
I got a 116 on the game, so not too bad.
Still, I would have liked to have found that lost city. Despite numerous hours of unsaved game time searching south and east of Campache, I never even found a formation of landmarks that came close to what was on my map.
I have an intimate knowledge of the land mass south and east of Campache now though. So I've got that going for me.
Rolling Eyes
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Blood wrote:
Frustrating indeed!
I never did find that lost city and I was forcibly retired from that game last night.
Forcible retirement only occures

when you divide the plunder.

Why you do that?
logansackett
Powder Monkey

743 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Forcible retirement only occures

when you divide the plunder.

Why you do that?

How do you keep them from mutiny, especially a large crew Confused ?
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logansackett wrote:
How do you keep them from mutiny, especially a large crew Confused ?

Get enough gold as quickly as possible as the game starts, 1000 per crew member will keep them from mutinying... You can have more crew that that early on, but when they start behaving nastily, you should drop the crew number so that each of them gets at least 1000 gold share of the plunder (but never divide it). When you accrue more plunder, you can keep adding to the crew as well.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you're old enough for forced retirement you should have a lot of gold saved up!
logansackett
Powder Monkey

743 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. That sounds interesting. I'll have to try it. But then how do you know what your "wealth" score or rating is? Or is it just the fame points that count? You know, I have the playing of the game down, but not some of these finer points.

BTW, regarding Montalban, I was playing on "Rogue" level, and found his hideout, but can't beat him in a swordfight. This is the first time I've ever not been able to whip him, but it's also my first time on this level. I really want that money. I don't have fencing as my primary skill, but I have all the fencing objects.

Oh well. I might have to just start another one and find him when I'm younger with fencing skill.

Sailor Wink
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logansackett wrote:
But then how do you know what your "wealth" score or rating is?
save the game and retire.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logansackett wrote:
Huh. That sounds interesting. I'll have to try it. But then how do you know what your "wealth" score or rating is?

You can use the spreadsheet wax_WealthCalc.xls, which you'll find under Mods in the Other folder.

logansackett wrote:
BTW, regarding Montalban, I was playing on "Rogue" level, and found his hideout, but can't beat him in a swordfight.

Against most opponents, I can score when I duck under a high chop and respond with a low slash. But this doesn't work so well against Montalban. With him, I've had better luck with the opposite maneuver - when I jump over his low slash and respond with a high chop. After ducking I just taunt since I never score against Monty with the duck-and-slash.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, on Rogue level it is important to know how to use the evasive movements and taunting to your own advantage. You never need them (at least taunting) in any other duel, so you may have not had too much practice. I recommend taking a look at Rupert's Fencing Academy and just practice the evasive movements and taunts against increasingly bad odds (more difficult opponents and less able player character).
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Valus
Powder Monkey

295 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a problem, with me his hideout was south west of curacoa. what i couldn´t see was that the meant the island next to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: