Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

How do I.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gackbeard
Firaxian
Firaxian

314 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to second the endorsement of KeyTweak (which El Austriaco posted a link to above). I use it to remap my laptop's CAPS LOCK key to tab (because my keys are so small, I found myself always hitting the caps lock accidentally).

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

It should be a decent short-term solution for those of you having keyboard issues.

Dan
FIRAXIS Games, Inc.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok figured out something or at least if I read the readme properly... its basically saying that if you turns your caps lock on then it will hold down the shift key for you... and if you change your numlock keys to letters you will have to either hold shift down or have your caps lock key on.... So I figured for all you latop users try having the caps lock on before changing the numpad configuration and use the numpad defaulats and after that try having the caps lock on... the only thing I can see being a percievable problem is when senaking out of town if you hold shift you are likely to run the entire of time and that will make more sound when sneaking in or out of town
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while remapping the keymap, I noticed something strange. For some reason, the KeyMap.ini and Cogfig.ini, although they are both text files, they are in slightly different formats. For a moment I had hopes that chancing them both to the same plain txt format might solve the laptop issue, but it did not. I can only use the numpad if I hold down the Fn key at the same time...
Firaxis_Barry
Firaxian
Firaxian

347 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
while remapping the keymap, I noticed something strange. For some reason, the KeyMap.ini and Cogfig.ini, although they are both text files, they are in slightly different formats. For a moment I had hopes that chancing them both to the same plain txt format might solve the laptop issue, but it did not. I can only use the numpad if I hold down the Fn key at the same time...

I believe both should be Unicode.
Firaxis Games
colossus
Swabbie

900 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to take a look at SharpKeys http://www.randyrants.com/2004/03/sharpkeys_11_of.html
Powder Monkey

786 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Colossus got a Parrot Reply with quote

Hey, Colossus, I see you managed to get enough gold for that Parrot you wanted. well done, matey, keep on postin' Very Happy
Seroster
Powder Monkey

38 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been holding off on ordering a copy because of the keypad issue I'd heard about. (I'm in Japan, but a friend going home to Canada for Christmas could get me a copy.) Seems like this KeyTweak program could be a good workaround.

Does/will the game support remapping controls to a joystick or gamepad? I recently picked up a gamepad (to play The Ur-quan Masters, but I digress...) and it might be really nice to be able to play with that.

Chris Camfield
KOEI
Woodreb
Powder Monkey

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also tried remapping keys to play on a laptop, with no success at first.
My system:
Dell Inspiron 8600
1.7 GHz Pentium M
512 MB RAM
Mobility ATI 9600 Pro Turbo
15.4 WSXGA screen (native resolution 1600 x 1050)

I had tried re-mapping to the same letter keys as the pseudo number pad on the key board and had the same results as others - no change, but if I held down the Fn key I could use the keys. Got tired of holding down the Fn key all the time (and missing "8" because of the offset on the keyboard and hitting 9 instead) so I went and got a Compaq USB number pad, which seemed to work for everything except parrying in the sword fights.
On a whim, I decided to try remapping the keys again - just for the dancing as a test. To my surprise it worked this time. The kicker is it only works if the USB number pad is plugged in and the number lock on the pad has been turned off. So now I can use 6 keys on the keyboard (uio and jkl) for the dancing and don't end up stumbling when trying to reach up to the (offset) 8 on the keyboard for a backward march. 'Course the downside is that I still have to have the number pad plugged in for this to work (more wires to get tangled up).
Interestingly, my husband has his copy of the game installed on a desktop which uses a wireless Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard and mouse (latest Logitech drivers installed to have complete functunality of the keyboard and mouse). I can't re-map keys on that set up either, so the re-mapping problem is not confined to laptops.

Still manage to spend most of an evening chasing Spaniards around.

Johanna
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: No activity since 2004? Hunh? Reply with quote

I see that the onscreen keypad issue was an early-on issue which remained unsolved.

I too have used the keypad.ini to reassign keys only to find no change in the onscreen keypad.

Anyone out there in gamming-land smart enough to figure this out?
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talk about bringing back an old post!!! Who is it that has the special Resurrection screen with the skeleton? Post it here! This is close to the all time record. I really like seeing the old computer the guy talked about above. It brings back the bad old days.......

I remember playing this game in 2004 and I had to set the video quality really low to play the game. It was MUCH later on when I could "crank it up" to the high quality video level and see all the beautiful details programmed into the game. I have always played this game on a desktop computer and since I was an accountant, I always had a separate keypad to use for this game.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
Wow, talk about bringing back an old post!!! Who is it that has the special Resurrection screen with the skeleton? Post it here! This is close to the all time record. I really like seeing the old computer the guy talked about above. It brings back the bad old days.......

I remember playing this game in 2004 and I had to set the video quality really low to play the game. It was MUCH later on when I could "crank it up" to the high quality video level and see all the beautiful details programmed into the game. I have always played this game on a desktop computer and since I was an accountant, I always had a separate keypad to use for this game.

I played on a Laptop and a desktop - but used for the laptop the standard mapped keys.

Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sir, that will work nicely!!! Smile
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: second attempt to get info on how to remap the onscreen pad Reply with quote

I tried another forum to get info on what can be done to remap the onscreen keypad to move the really badly placed 5 - Fire button away from the left/right turn buttons. While maneuvering in ship battle the center placed fire button causes unloading of the cannon, usually at a more inopportune time in the battle. I tried the Keymap.ini in the game but the keypad assignment did not change. Someone offered the Text.ini must be changed to move the key... I don't see an assignment in the text narrative of the ini file that controls the key assignment.

Since I find that this issue has been a problem since the release of the game, someone must have found how to move the keypad numbers since no posts since 04 are listed. You tell me that using a keyboard keypad assignment solves the problem, as well as a usb attachment. I'm unwilling to give up on reassignment of the game keymap... someone should have the knowledge and skills to do this simple action, unless, of course, the program is so badly structured that the normal actions do not work.

Now that the topic has been reopened is anyone aware, having accomplished this on the onscreen keypad, of how to do it? If not, then it is another defect in the program that makes this game even more irritating to play. Since it was a release defect and gamers should have contacted the tech support you would think a fix would have been done?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

I have only played on my old Toshiba Satellite, which runs XP. But I bought a USB keypad just for playing Pirates! I keep the keypad on the left and the mouse on the right so that I never have to take my hands off of either.
Darkfleet123
Powder Monkey

8 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Mod Reply with quote

How to put mods in the game?? I have downloaded the mods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: