Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Montalban and his stupid hideout!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon
Powder Monkey

104 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Montalban and his stupid hideout!!! Reply with quote

I knwo the maps spawn really randomly, but anyone get a map that points to the north of Gran Granada?
And like, the only thing on it are some geysers, a totem pole, an arch and some deserted cabins?
There aren't any seamarks or anything...
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Montalban and his stupid hideout!!! Reply with quote

It's probably way north of Gran Granada. And there's always a sea mark, even if it doesn't appear on your map. So find a sea mark along the Honduras coast, park your ship nearby, and strike inland. If you have geysers on your map, wait until you hear the geysers erupting, pause the game, and scan the horizon with your telescope to find them. Head for the geysers and look for the other landmarks.

If you don't find the landmarks, then return to your ship, sail farther along the coast until you find the next sea mark, and do it all again.
wharuh
Powder Monkey

154 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a few minutes to find his hideout the first game, and the next game I nearly gave up looking after 20 minutes of wandering.

If it says "Northeast of _____" More than likely it's either north or east of that place. If it is northeast, it's WAY out there. And there are generally a lot of landmarks strewn about to confuse you (Though they're pretty much everywhere).

Also, while searching for Montalban I found the Lost Aztecs just out of the blue. Only had one fourth of the map, too. It was pretty cool, because I got a huge payload of money before I divided after defeating the Marquis.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More often than not the direction given is the actual compass direction. Sometimes though South could be anything from SE to SW and North anything from NE to NW. Especially when looking for Monty's hideout or a lost city.
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a heck of a time with TWO maps right now.
I've got the map to my lost Auntie, which says "South West of Santa Marta". On the map, there is a tiny edge of water, a distinct inlet just poking in from the right, or East facing, side of the map.
Well, the only place that could possibly be is where there is a large bay poking inland to the south and west of SM.
However, I've marched up and down that entire bay a dozen times now and have not found even one marking that corresponds to the map.
There are no corresponding sea markers, just this one glimpse of that Bay.
Frustrating.
I have tried several other places, but none that have an inland bay like that showing.
Nada.
Then I gave that up for a lost cause, and the very next map I got was a Lost City map.
No sea markers on that one either.
No water on the map, 't'all.
South East of Campache.
I've traipsed the entire coast line on foot. Nada.

Oh, well. It's time to retire anywho.
Time to start the next game!!
I'm just griping.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Captain Blood, for future games, if'n ye already quit that one, SE of Campeche with no water or a little water in the bottom right corner of your map is usually over on the other side in the bay of Honduras look down in the SW corner of the bay.
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki,
I still have it saved prior to the forced retirement, before my crew was just too ornery to keep dealing with.
So I will fire it back up and take a look.
I've been down where you mention before, but maybe now I can look at it with less frustrated eyes.
Confused
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki,
Well, I've plugged away at it again and again and again.
Nada. Lost
Ah, well. Time to move on to another game. Smooth Sailing
Sometimes you get the bear, but sometimes........................
CaptainBritches
Powder Monkey

208 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having this same problem. montalban is somewhere northwest of gran granada. i've done a lot of looking and no finding.

the map has a little coast in it with a buried treasure landmark... cutlass cove. does anyone know if that landmark will be somewhere in the caribbean, or can that landmark be in the pacific?
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBritches wrote:
i'm having this same problem. montalban is somewhere northwest of gran granada. i've done a lot of looking and no finding.

the map has a little coast in it with a buried treasure landmark... cutlass cove. does anyone know if that landmark will be somewhere in the caribbean, or can that landmark be in the pacific?

Look in the SW corner of the Bay of Honduras. You'll never have any landmarks on the Pacific side as you can only get there due to a bug, or by walking there. There's no way to be certain where Cutlass Cove is because the location of landmarks changes with every new game so in order for anyone to pinpoint the treasure more accurately, you should post a screenshot of your treasure map.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBritches wrote:

The landmark could also be on Lake Izabal, just inland from the Bay of Honduras. If so, it might not be visible from your ship.
CaptainBritches
Powder Monkey

208 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you all are sure that it couldn't be on the pacific side? i mean i've looked by foot and didn't find it there, but i also checked the entire coast in the gulf and caribbean where it might be wiithout success.

i don't know about lake isabel. i'll try it.
CaptainBritches
Powder Monkey

208 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think i see lake izabel on the map. the only big lake i see is just south of gran granada. but i don't think that's in the location of the real lake izabel. also the hideout is supposed to be northwest of.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just inland from the Gulf of Honduras. Click on the link in my previous post for a map.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the game map. Lake Izabel is between the two red X's.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/loki59/LostCity.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: