Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Favorite Faction
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Faction
France
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Holland
30%
 30%  [ 17 ]
Spain
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
England
45%
 45%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 55

Smiley the 13th
Powder Monkey

719 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Favorite Faction Reply with quote

I was just curious as to what faction you pirates find yourself most attached to when it comes to alliances and the sort. Mine would be France or Holland, France because I know the language and Holland because of, well I am sure you guys can come up with a reason why a salty sea dog would like Holland. Smile
Pizza_Peep
Cutthroat

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

England all the way. They have the best ships and if you're an English Duke, you've got one of the best gigs in the whole game. (Aka being a first class traitor)
aaronlego2
Powder Monkey

16 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I find myself so atached to the French.... Maybe the governors make me feel better about my weight Wink Or maybe because I like the color blue.... Could it be the French emblem? Ah, who cares why, but I do favor the French.
Randall Bones
Powder Monkey

161 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start every game with Holland. The Dutch of course don't have as many ports as all the others and are usually at war with someone. So that makes promotions to Duke pretty easy! Aside from that I think the main reason I always start with the Dutch is because not too many people do. Smile
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be an England, and Dave will always be an Englishman!

Why England for me? Partly, it is the maritime tradition. The English were the first to use naval power consistently as their main diplomatic arm. Look at the exploits of Drake, Blake, Rodney, Nelson, and many others.

Until the 17th century, the English were basically a second-rank power dabbling in European politics. By the end of that century, they were on their way to becoming the presiding country over the largest, most influential empire the world has ever seen. In Pirates!, Spain is declining; France and Holland are at their zenith; England is the country with the most developing to do.

For me, England and the Age of Sail must be mentioned together. The Royal Navy led the way in hunting notorious pirates and suppressing the slave trade. To me, the English are the "Good Guys."

And if anybody is upset at the England of the real world, please don't quarrel with me about it. I'm just an honest privateer expressing my loyalties...
Swordeater
Seaman

2009 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French for me, though it might be decided by the factor that I have a... nice mod for their daughters and barmaids Shocked England is my second choice, then Dutch and Spanish with Dutch in a slight lead.
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked
Absolutely NO ONE has chosen Spain.
That's pretty wild.
I choose Holland because the Dutch have a small presence in the game, at least until I sack a bunch of cities for them. Guns Blazing
I can reach Duke in no time, and they're almost always at war with someone or other, usually everyone, so getting rich is pretty easy if your Dutch.
France seems to get along with them the best, so I can usually rank to Duke with the French almost as quickly as with the Dutch.
After I reach Duke in both nations, I turn coat and attack them while allying myself with England until I reach Duke with them.
IF I have time, I will then try to attain Duke with the Spanish...
But not often.
I don't play the game strictly for the "score". I play for the fun of playing, so I don't often bother trying to rank with the Spanish.
Cool
Swordeater
Seaman

2009 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It looks like everyone hates Spain or likes them as walking plunder. Am I the only one who thinks of them as another faction, just with more riches (at start Twisted Evil ), less defense and more hatred against them? Gotta make a poll... hey, that's a good idea. *barrel-rolls out of topic*
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always sail for holland. They have very few ports in most of the time periods i have played in, so there are many towns to conquer. they often fight with spain, whose ships i have a knack for sendin to the deep. Very Happy
One drawback is that they often have very good warships (e.g. brigs of war, SOLs) Victorious which i tend no to take from the land that i am loyal to.

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

France, because the have the best looking daughters... Wink

I've played on the English side as well, but usually turn to France when it is getting close to get meself married...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
wonder if you have to sleep at the hotel tonight Wolfie.

extra reason for is that Firaxis used the exact same mold for all the beautiful daughters.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, for me, the English daughters are the proudest beauties. I've spent the largest proportion of my modding on them... and thanks to K-Bob for his ModMaker.

I suspect that my choice might be influenced by patriotism, though...

Quote:
I've played on the English side as well, but usually turn to France when it is getting close to get meself married...

That seems to be what Henry V was thinking when he married Katherine de Valois...Smile
Valus
Powder Monkey

295 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holland. Why??? Well i come from Holland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chiko
Seaman

273 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most of me games I play on the English side... I don't know why Confused
sometimes for France or Holland... but I can't be friendly with the Spanish! The few times I tried to avoid attackin their ships, always appear a juicy Treasure Ship! Greedy and I can't resist the tentation!!!

Wolfwood wrote:

Well, if gobernor daughters be the reason of frienship with a faction. I think the spanish daughter are the prettiest! Loving I always marry a spanish daughter...
RobbyL9
Seaman

2916 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, the Dutch are slimy chum buckets with orange coats. I wouldn't step on to one of their ships even if I was kidnapped and was going to end up hanging by my neck in the Captain's closet. Secondly, the Spans are evil and they support the Marquis, Mendoza and Baron Raymondo. More than that, their military power is a joke and their gold stores are deep, so they make EASY targets. Now the British and French, they have pretty good naval power, beautiful women and they both have ties to the American Revolution so if I'm in good standing with them by the time I retire, it kind of adds a little bit of spice to what happens after my story ends and I have children. My children will be heroes and champions of freedom like their old man, hehe. Any comments, class?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: