Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

what is the smallest force you have ransacked a city with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caster89
Seaman

1579 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: what is the smallest force you have ransacked a city with? Reply with quote

the smallest i had was 121 vs. 120
i was surprised than even though it was even, i wiped the floor with those smelly french Twisted Evil
Random Number Generator
Powder Monkey

118 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 Pirates v.s. 40 Englishmen

I was trying to capture Nassau for the Dutch like it should belong to, and I invaded the town so many times before I was allowed to instate a new govenor I went from 320 Pirates v.s 290 Englishmen to 21 v.s. 40

I finally got to instate a Dutch Govenor.
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be sure that this is the biggest disparity that I've gone to battle with, but I'm sure that if not, it is very close to it.

Fair Winds and Following Seas !!
prideassassin
Swabbie

89 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. 80 pirates vs. 300 soldiers.
Why?
I take a buccaneer and Officer unit and sneak a wide arc around to the gate (Bucs to thin out any opposition to my Officers before I outflank an enemy unit.) The rest of my tiny army is used to draw the bulk of the cities defenders AWAY from my sneaky Officers, and the city. I may engage with one pirate unit, to get their attention, and use the other units to draw them far far away from the city.
When my Officers are near the gates, I rush the remainder of my army into a suicidal charge so that the only unit left is my officers. The enemy is FAR from the gate, and I walk right in.
I do this when my crew is mutinous, and I'm ready to divide the treasure. With very VERY few crew surviving, the survivors get paid a fortune.
Too bad I only get a percentage, I'd make out like a bandit. Very Happy
caster89
Seaman

1579 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prideassassin wrote:
This is great. 80 pirates vs. 300 soldiers.
Why?
I take a buccaneer and Officer unit and sneak a wide arc around to the gate (Bucs to thin out any opposition to my Officers before I outflank an enemy unit.) The rest of my tiny army is used to draw the bulk of the cities defenders AWAY from my sneaky Officers, and the city. I may engage with one pirate unit, to get their attention, and use the other units to draw them far far away from the city.
When my Officers are near the gates, I rush the remainder of my army into a suicidal charge so that the only unit left is my officers. The enemy is FAR from the gate, and I walk right in.
I do this when my crew is mutinous, and I'm ready to divide the treasure. With very VERY few crew surviving, the survivors get paid a fortune.
Too bad I only get a percentage, I'd make out like a bandit. Very Happy

good strategy, but you do know that the fewer enemies that are left, the more money you get when you reach the city
Captain Riddle
Swabbie

2171 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once took on and defeated upwards of two hundred soldiers in a land battle with a total of sixteen pirates, with zero casaulties.

caster89
Seaman

1579 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Riddle wrote:
I once took on and defeated upwards of two hundred soldiers in a land battle with a total of sixteen pirates, with zero casaulties.

thats quite a feat Cool
prideassassin
Swabbie

89 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caster89 wrote:

good strategy, but you do know that the fewer enemies that are left, the more money you get when you reach the city

I wasn't worried about money. San Juan had plenty of money anyway. I was more worried about sending me mutinous crew on a suicide mission, matey. I killed as many as I could, with my suicidal charge at the end there. Twisted Evil
I try and wait as long as possible to divide my plunder, until my crew is openly defying me, and I have just enough to run my frigate flagship. (poorly Cool )
The less you divide the plunder, the more time you have for raiding. The more each scurvy dog makes when you divide it, the more people line up to die for you to become rich, on yer next excursion. Yar.
yui108
Powder Monkey

296 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 pirates on 80-odd englishmen
yui108
Powder Monkey

296 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Riddle wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but matey, I'm pretty sure the comp won't even LET you attack at those kind of odds.
Captain Riddle
Swabbie

2171 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yui108 wrote:
Captain Riddle wrote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but matey, I'm pretty sure the comp won't even LET you attack at those kind of odds.

Smile
I had more pirates than sixteen on board my ship. Only sixteen actually fought, or for that matter, were even seen by the enemy.

You see, I had five groups: my officers, two buccaneer units, and two pirate units. Four of these groups had twenty-some men in them, and one of the pirate groups had only sixteen.

I started at the central location. Between me and the fort there was a vast forest and not much else. So I arranged the four bigger groups in a typical protected shooting line, and sent the small group of sixteen up to find the enemy and draw them back towards me.

After a turn or two they reached the huge forest. They got some distance in with no sign of the enemy troops. Then on one turn, a group of Spaniard-natives showed up next to my pirates. Because of the forest cover, neither of us saw the other until they had completed their move, so they could not attempt to attack until the next turn. This was a bit of a problem for them, seeing as they were now adjacent to me.

By great fortune, this group of scouts was facing southeast, while my sixteen pirates were to the southwest -- in other words, they were showing their flank to me. So my small group plowed into their right flank and routed them.

Due to the ease of the victory, they were allowed the make yet another move despite being in the forest. By even greater luck, the entire enemy army was aligned facing southwards, flank-to-flank, with only one unit a step behind the line (and they were facing southeast, too, so I got a flank attack on them and a rear attack on the next). Thus, my small group of sixteen was allowed to make one attack after another, and route the entire army all by itself in a single turn.

Captain Redbeard
Seaman

1466 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Riddle wrote:
yui108 wrote:
Captain Riddle wrote:

Smile
I had more pirates than sixteen on board my ship. Only sixteen actually fought, or for that matter, were even seen by the enemy.

You see, I had five groups: my officers, two buccaneer units, and two pirate units. Four of these groups had twenty-some men in them, and one of the pirate groups had only sixteen.

I started at the central location. Between me and the fort there was a vast forest and not much else. So I arranged the four bigger groups in a typical protected shooting line, and sent the small group of sixteen up to find the enemy and draw them back towards me.

After a turn or two they reached the huge forest. They got some distance in with no sign of the enemy troops. Then on one turn, a group of Spaniard-natives showed up next to my pirates. Because of the forest cover, neither of us saw the other until they had completed their move, so they could not attempt to attack until the next turn. This was a bit of a problem for them, seeing as they were now adjacent to me.

By great fortune, this group of scouts was facing southeast, while my sixteen pirates were to the southwest -- in other words, they were showing their flank to me. So my small group plowed into their right flank and routed them.

Due to the ease of the victory, they were allowed the make yet another move despite being in the forest. By even greater luck, the entire enemy army was aligned facing southwards, flank-to-flank, with only one unit a step behind the line (and they were facing southeast, too, so I got a flank attack on them and a rear attack on the next). Thus, my small group of sixteen was allowed to make one attack after another, and route the entire army all by itself in a single turn.

I'd call that luck...

...which is the main part in skill. Smile
Swabbie

838 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Riddle wrote:

How the heck did you do that!? Lost
Bermuda_Shorts
Swabbie

156 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... some of the battles talked about in this thread sound suicidally heroic. The most I've ever fought with is 40 pirates vs 20 soldiers (I'm not so great with land battles).

Ahh, the good old days.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once took on 500 Spanish with 260 men. They had two units of cavalry, which made a defensive battle more vital. Luckily for me, there was only one way through the rocks where the enemy could attack, one unit at a time.

I moved my three units of buccaneers within maximum firing range, and had my pirates and officers in nearby groups of trees. One cavalry unit did finally break through as did a unit of guards, routing one unit of my buccaneers, and a unit of pirates who charged desperately to fill the gap. Still, the enemy was comprehensively defeated. Wow, was it a close run thing, as Wellington at Waterloo would have said...
Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Land Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: