Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The "Purely Pratical" Challenge
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I never did this challenge. Might want to give it a try.

One question though! How do you get map pieces to Lost Cities? I always got mine from dancing or rescuing Daughters from Mendoza. If you can't enter a city to visit a Governor, how can you get a city map from a Daughter?
If my feeble brain is working right, you need to defeat Montalban at his fort before looking for you're family members.This way, your relatives will give you map pieces when you rescue them. You might get lucky and get a map peice with the "x" on it, making finding the gates easier.

By the way, were you able to download the savegames? It's been 9 years, gonna go try downloading myself.

Oh well. 9 years is to long. "invalid or deleted file"
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall the only ways to launch Monty is by rescuing a relative or getting the "Dip" from a dance with a beautiful Daughter, right? And there is no dancing in this game because you cannot go visit a Governor. So, where does that leave us? How do you launch Monty and then get him in the open sea so he gives you a map where his Fortress is? Chicken an Egg time.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:
I recall the only ways to launch Monty is by rescuing a relative or getting the "Dip" from a dance with a beautiful Daughter, right? And there is no dancing in this game because you cannot go visit a Governor. So, where does that leave us? How do you launch Monty and then get him in the open sea so he gives you a map where his Fortress is? Chicken an Egg time.

So you need to rescue some relatives to get map pieces to Monty's lair. If you can find his lair with fewer than four map pieces, then any remaining relatives will give you maps to a lost city. You'll need to be really good with maps to pull off both!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty's hideout is almost always either north of Vera Cruz, in the bay of Honduras, or east of Campeche. Assuming you can find it with one puzzle piece, then the most you can possibly find is 3 lost cities and the odds against that happening would be prohibitive!
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add it is also sometimes East or West of Villa Hermosa.

I have never found his hideout in Florida, the main part of South America, or on any island.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have not played this challenge. Not sure I want to do it since I am not into sneaking but may give it a try anyway. The basic strategy is to find relatives by visiting the Jesuit Missons and getting Raymondo. Then when you find a relative that will launch Monty. If you are good AND lucky you will find Monty's hideout with only one or two pieces of map from him. Then you can take out Monty and the other relatives you will find will give you map pieces to lost cities. Once again you need to be lucky and good.

Obviously, you cannot court or marry Daughters and cannot get promotions.
It is harder to accumulate gold because the merchants and shipyards in the Settlements and Pirate Havens do not have much gold.
Sven Helgrim
Powder Monkey

227 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried playing an all-pirate game. It was frustrating. I’d try it again. The problem was I played it on swash and kept losing crew. I think I could do well if I played it at Rogue. There should be a proviso that you can accept comissions once you defeat Monty and get your family back. By that point every nqtion should hate you for plundering their ships and towns. So winning them over won’t be easy. Ah, maybe I should just propose a challenge.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all these years, I have started this challenge. I am an Adventurer, Dutch, 1660 and skill in Fencing. When the game started, I turned my ship around from Curacao and began attacking every ship I could. I got repairs in the villages (non-cities) and Pirate Havens. I recruit sailors from the Pirate Havens and sell what I can. Most of the goods I have to throw overboard, there is just not room. I make money from catching Raymondo and other ships.
I should be able to get my relatives and Monty as well as the treasures. Just no promotions and no dancing/marriage. I am a bachelor and see girls in the Taverns.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never gave a full report. I played this game all the way thru, I got all four relatives and Monty, found the treasures and the named pirates and did well. I did not get maximum wealth points. Would have had to play the game a lot longer to do that since I was playing at Adventurer level. I did not get any map pieces to the lost cities so I did not find any of the cities. This was a fun game except for having to dump good overboard and not getting decent prices for the goods I sold. I did not miss the dancing, that's for sure but it is nice to get all those promotions and to get the romance points. So, I missed the max points I could have received by about 3 points. Fun challenge though. If anyone has not tried this, go ahead and do so!
corsair91
Sailing Master

206093 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Purely Pratical" Challenge
http://www.hookedonpirates.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=68523#68523

loki59

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:05 pm
Post subject: The "Purely Pratical" Challenge

The Adventurer savegame file named Piratical Pete
http://www.mediafire.com/?2tmtjhnnxvx

the Rogue savegame file named Plunderin Paul