Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Novels Reply with quote

What is your favorite novel? What novel are you reading right now? This is the (Un)official Novel Thread!
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite novel:
The Lord of the Rings

Currently reading:
Homers Oddessy
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Blood wrote:
Favorite novel:
The Lord of the Rings

Currently reading:
Homers Oddessy

So, how's "Homers Oddessy"?
Privateer
Swabbie

951 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Earthsea Quartet and am currently trying to read a collection of some of Asimov's Robot stories; some of the best sci-fi around Very Happy
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billasae,
Confusing. Lost
A lot of ancient Greek legend woven into the story in such a way that I have to stop and read up on that particular legend in order to understand what I just read.
It's a learning experience.
Fortunately, a lot of it the same legend was included in the Illiad, which I just finished reading, so I'm not as often face first in a reference book trying to figure things out as I was for that story.

I think once I get done tackling the Oddesy I'm going to lay off Homer for a while and go back to Horatio Hornblower.
It's enjoyable, but I think in future I'll take my Homer in smaller doses.
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Blood wrote:
Billasae,
Confusing. Lost
A lot of ancient Greek legend woven into the story in such a way that I have to stop and read up on that particular legend in order to understand what I just read.
It's a learning experience.
Fortunately, a lot of it the same legend was included in the Illiad, which I just finished reading, so I'm not as often face first in a reference book trying to figure things out as I was for that story.

I think once I get done tackling the Oddesy I'm going to lay off Homer for a while and go back to Horatio Hornblower.
It's enjoyable, but I think in future I'll take my Homer in smaller doses.

Lol, is it like Shakespeare english?(Like, made up, or "olde" Smile time English)
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really like old English, it's actually all Greek to me... Rolling Eyes
But I digress.
Actually the problem is you'll be going along, reading the story (which aint easy, things like every time Homer mentions Telemachus, son of Oddyseus, he is called "discreet Telemachus", adding all those pronouns sort of slows you down) and you'll run into a mention of a poem/story other than the one you are reading. The reference is usually pretty integral to the story line and you are expected to know what the story they reference means.
Well, I usually don't. So I have to look it up. That slows me down even more.
It's a learning experience, but the stories of Oddyseus and in the Iliad are rich and colorful so I think it's been worth it.
Still, it's been a lot of work for me to fully appreciate them.
I'll take a break, then come back and re-read them in a few months. The next time I'll be able to just relax and enjoy the stories for what they are instead of delving into history lessons from ancient Greece. That should make them more enjoyable.
I hope.
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I could barely read what you wrote, let alone the book, if I wanted to read it Very Happy Sailor
Nefarious
Swabbie

159 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Novels Reply with quote

Bllasae wrote:
What is your favorite novel? What novel are you reading right now? This is the (Un)official Novel Thread!

My favourite novel has always been Harper Lee's 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.
It is simultaneously pleasing and disturbing, as opposed motifs mingle and coexist. Such concepts as good and evil needing one another to exist, social inequalities that help define the times of its writing, rights and wrongs with each bringing their own perils...etc.
Simply a brilliant piece of literature.

I am currently re-reading Diana and Michael Prestons excellent essay on William Dampier.
A Pirate of Exquisite Mind
Explorer, Naturalist, and Buccaneer:
The Life of William Dampier

Though unfamiliar to most, Dampier is, by far, one of the most influencial men in history. Australians may know him as the Englishman who first set foot on their continent. But he did oh so much more.
A small taste: "He was the first man to sail three times around the world. Without formal training, he made enduring contributions to mapping (especially hydrography), meteorology, navigation, zoology, botany and anthropology. He originated the concept of sub-species and a case can be made that his observations of fauna on the Galapagos Islands and elsewhere anticipated Darwin's work on natural selection.
More than 1000 words in The Oxford English Dictionary, including barbecue and chopsticks, were first recorded by him. He wrote precise, vigorous prose and his best-selling accounts of adventures and discoveries at sea and on five continents (mainly in the Americas, South-East Asia, Australia and New Guinea) set a standard for travel-writing and made him a celebrity among London's intellectuals at the dawn of the Age of Reason. Swift and Defoe mined his work for much of the ore they transmuted into Gulliver's Travels and Robinson Crusoe."

If you have any interest in the age of sail and exploration, this book is a must read. Even if not, one should do themselves a favor and educate themselves to this man's immense contribution to the world we now know. He has sadly been left on history's backburner far too long.

William Dampier's life story seems impossible; more akin to fiction. But it is all too true...and utterly amazing. So do yourself, and your history, a favor: Get this book.
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the information and "teaser" from the book. It seems really interesting.
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, Nefarious, Mockingbird is my nomination for the "great American novel". It is such a humane book, and says so much about the country, and life, in such an unassuming way. There is a recent biography of Harper Lee, called simply "Mockingbird", by Charles Shields, that is pretty interesting for those that wonder about how this masterpiece came out of the blue. I don't know that it will be the final word in style or substance, but the author makes a sympathetic effort to gather a lot of scraps of information about a very private person (completely unhelpful to would be biographers, evidently), many of which are facsinating.

For a less profound but also amazing, enlightening and entertaining read, I would recommend the Aubrey-Maturin series to anyone. As historical fiction, it has no peer, IMO, and it is so much fun as well.

I just finished The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard, which is kind of general history of the Carribean pirates of Blackbeard's era, but it mentions Dampier more than once as a major figure in describing the world from which that setting emerged. Your description makes me want to the Prestons' book.
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

327 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently looking through interesting classics which haven't yet read. So I bought "The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas from the local secondhand bookstore. Also I'm currently in the middle of "The Etruscan" by Mika Waltari.
Latest book I finished was the biography of "Alexander the Great", and "Catiline's War/The Jugurthine War" by Roman historian Sallust.
Not sure what's my all-time favourite novel. Maybe "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy (of five books Smile ) because that is the only novel/s what I've read twice beside some biographies. But the most influential novel is definitely Philip K. Dick's "The World Jones Made". Read it when I was early teen and it blew my mind, and also introduced me to the sci-fi genre.

PS. Please, no spoilers here!

Last edited by Red Rabbit on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the last novel I read was Robinson Crusoe a while back. My Father in Law had it in his library and I took it to read on the plane.

I've heard the Tom Clancy books are great. Should I be reading them?
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading through Alexandre Dumas' d'Artagnan Romances.

Not sure I can even hope to pick my favourite novel. There are so many factors affecting that choice. I love Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels for their characterisation, and Dumas' The Three Musketeers is also up there in the higher echelons because of the pure fun of it... Ah, I cannot pick one!
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Mad Jack 'o the Red
Powder Monkey

154 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Anne Perry, still active British author has a series of novels set in 1880's London featuring married couple, Thomas Pitt and his wife Charlotte who solve murders. He is a police inspector; she is just plain smart. And then there is Charlotte's great- Great Aunt Vespasia! She might be in her 80's but she would be a fantastic companion for dinner, enough said. Good, fun reads. Reading
Wink
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: