Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Novels
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Rabbit
Cutthroat

321 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visited my local secondhand bookstore earlier this month and made an interesting discovery: "History of the Bouccaneers of America" by Alexandre Olivier Exquemelin.
It is originally written 1678 in Dutch and is an eyewitness story about the piracy in Caribbean. This edition is from 1970 and translated from German. The writer tells about the lifestyle of the pirates and the geography of the Caribbean. He also took part of the Henry Morgan's and Francois Lolonois' journeys. Very fascinating stuff, and fun to read when there's cities which have seen (and plunder) in SMP.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Good find, mate.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an amazing book. I hope the author is truthful!
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

That is quite a big hope for books from that era. The line between truth and embellished truth was even less defined than it is today. I've read accounts by Scots officers of the 17th century 30 Years War that made some of the major battles seem like fights between Scots and Irishmen (as they were both mercenaries for hire for Sweden and the Holy Roman Empire at the time).
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History used to be just that. His story. "Did it happen that way?" "Well, that's his story."

Nowadays of course historians only publish verified facts which they quantify in a completely objective and unbiased way. Especially in countries like the People's Republic of China, where everyone knows that the People's Truth is what really happened, and any facts that conflict with it were manufactured by capitalist running dogs.

Well, I've run across some highly artificial "facts" before. That part is correct, anyway. Laughing
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost interest in novels for the most part, in favor for more technical books and Wikipedia pages.

I re-read Warcraft: Day of the Dragon as my inner geek requires.

I finished Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul which documents Surak's life throughout the days he leads the Vulcans to philosophical unity.

I have Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire on my reading list.

But my main reading list has:

With Charity Towards None: An Analysis fo Ayn Rand's Philosophy

Exclamation

Last edited by ExtraCrispy on Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy wrote:
I've lost interest in novels for the most part, in favor for more technical books and Wikipedia pages.

I re-read Warcraft: Day of the Dragon as my inner geek requires.

I finished Star Trek: Vulcan's soul with documents Surak's life throughout the days he leads the Vulcans to philosophical unity.

I have Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire" on my reading list.

But my main reading list has:

With Charity Towards None: An Analysis fo Ayn Rand's Philosophy

Exclamation

All good choices - especially Star Trek: Vulcan's soul.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few books on my list:

SuperIntelligence
Kant's Prolegomena To Any Future Metaphysics
Confessions of A Philosopher
An Introduction to Knowledge Engineering
Discovery of Cosmic Fractals
Mathematical Logic and Formalized Theories: A Survey of Basic Concepts and Results

As well a book on Quine whose title I can't recall.

I am currently reading SuperIntelligence and Confessions of A Philosopher.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently listening to a recording of Rise of the Machines: A Cybernetic History by Thomas Rid. It looks at the origins of computers, robots, and everything cyber-. The persistent opposing influences in the story are the military and the counterculture. The societal reaction to the vision of the integration of man and machine swings back and forth between utopian dreams and dystopian fears.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many books, too little time. Razz
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am cracking Kant's Prolegomena ATM.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

That is quite a big hope for books from that era. The line between truth and embellished truth was even less defined than it is today. I've read accounts by Scots officers of the 17th century 30 Years War that made some of the major battles seem like fights between Scots and Irishmen (as they were both mercenaries for hire for Sweden and the Holy Roman Empire at the time).

If you don't mind me asking, what books have you been reading recently? Very Happy Smile
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from sourcebooks for our novel project (to be published next year by one of the big publishers in Finland), I've read, for example:

- The Memoirs of the Count De Rochefort by Courtilz de Sandras, Gatien de
- Soulminder by Timothy Zahn
- Jennifer Government by Max Barry
- The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey by Partick O'Brian

In addition, I have a habit of reading comics and lighter literature to counterbalance very stressful periods at work (like this spring has been). Lately, I've revisited some old Destroyer books (Remo Williams).

Insofar as the sourcebooks are concerned, there are too many to list. I prefer old history books (from 19th century mostly), because they at least try to describe the human stories alongside dates and events. Modern history books are very soulless in their handling of history (they don't want to take the risk of quoting anecdotal stories, even though they might make the topic more interesting to the reader), but I do read them as well to check the latest understanding of certain major events.
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
Aside from sourcebooks for our novel project (to be published next year by one of the big publishers in Finland), I've read, for example:

- The Memoirs of the Count De Rochefort by Courtilz de Sandras, Gatien de
- Soulminder by Timothy Zahn
- Jennifer Government by Max Barry
- The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey by Partick O'Brian

In addition, I have a habit of reading comics and lighter literature to counterbalance very stressful periods at work (like this spring has been). Lately, I've revisited some old Destroyer books (Remo Williams).

Insofar as the sourcebooks are concerned, there are too many to list. I prefer old history books (from 19th century mostly), because they at least try to describe the human stories alongside dates and events. Modern history books are very soulless in their handling of history (they don't want to take the risk of quoting anecdotal stories, even though they might make the topic more interesting to the reader), but I do read them as well to check the latest understanding of certain major events.

I've been re-watching some of the DC Animated Universe and Samurai Jack. I haven't read comics in a long while though.

Besides that? I've been reading this:
Mathematical Formulas and Formalized Theories
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: