Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

We need to become more popular!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: We need to become more popular! Reply with quote

These forums are really dead!(As if you didn't know!) And we need to save them(resurrect them, if you will). We need to tell our friends about this site or something, save it from ghost town status. Anybody else have any suggestions?
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: We need to become more popular! Reply with quote

Bllasae wrote:
These forums are really dead!(As if you didn't know!) And we need to save them(resurrect them, if you will). We need to tell our friends about this site or something, save it from ghost town status. Anybody else have any suggestions?

HHmm, maybe posting on other game forums about this one??? (if you belong to any)

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: We need to become more popular! Reply with quote

Capt. Cannon wrote:
Bllasae wrote:

HHmm, maybe posting on other game forums about this one??? (if you belong to any)

Yeah, that's a good idea, but still, think about it..You go to a completely unrelated forum and post a link here? I dunno, but the only other pirate sites where it would really be appropriate to post the link to here would be addicted to pirates(They ripped us off lol).
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to keep in mind is the ratio of posts to views. The holidays are not the best time for many, but next year it would be worth trying to design a challenge that might draw more folks in.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the kids (and adults) who get Pirates! for Christmas will start poking their heads in here starting in about 10 days . . .
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Pullings wrote:
The other thing to keep in mind is the ratio of posts to views. The holidays are not the best time for many, but next year it would be worth trying to design a challenge that might draw more folks in.

I think this is a good point. It would be better, imo, to take the time to design a really high-quality "event" (not that any of those i've seen here are "bad", mind you ) than to invite a buncha folks in and then disappoint them.

Additionally, not everyone who visits posts ... as i'm sure y'all know. I have noted, however, that though I decided to sign on to this good ship a mere few days ago there have been several more join since.

Even after accounting for customary troll loads, that's not "dead" by any stretch.

Roland also has a good point, especially with Pirates freshly ported to the PSP ... wow that's some mess'a p's ya got theyarr sonny ...

(edit: added ack's)
Eric Jones
Powder Monkey

368 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having the guides and mod forums be available only after 30 posts or so would increase the amount of people posting. Right now, people seem to be satisfied with coming in here and benefiting from other people's hard work without even contributing to the forum.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Jones wrote:
I think having the guides and mod forums be available only after 30 posts or so would increase the amount of people posting. Right now, people seem to be satisfied with coming in here and benefiting from other people's hard work without even contributing to the forum.

Umm, why would we want to encourage newbies to spam the forum?
Eric Jones
Powder Monkey

368 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Eric Jones wrote:

Umm, why would we want to encourage newbies to spam the forum?

Spam can be quickly identified and taken care of. If someone spams his way to 30 posts its a ban, period. I'm just saying its a viable option. Its worked for other forums I've been in.
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some forums have a jibberish section to allow for just this.
And people still have troubles finding the spam allowed sections.

One forum has a 30 post and 30 days requirement.
Eric Jones
Powder Monkey

368 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, not to burst anyone's bubble, but most people that come in here, do so for the awesome guides and mods offered. The problem with that is that they'll just download the content without even so much as post. Eliminating the ease with which they acquire this content would force a lot people to read and post in the forum, and this might peek their interest and compel them to stay.

Of course this is just a thought
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir W. Raleigh wrote:
Even after accounting for customary troll loads, that's not "dead" by any stretch.

Actually, it is. There are only about 6 people that log on regularly(Don't count exactly 6, I said "about" Rolling Eyes ) and that's including you. And Eric Jones, that's a good idea, with the post above this one, but not about the spam one. We really don't care if at other forums, the "spam and ban" policy worked, because if somebody "spams" the forums here to 30 posts or so, there gold would probably be taken away, not banned. Also, as long as people are posting, and it's somehow related to the subject, then we'll have at least one more person posting here.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this forum really needs is a new Pirates! game from Firaxis. Truth to be said, Pirates! is becoming old news and not many new faces will pick it up anymore. Thus, we need to make Sid realise that Pirates! II might really have a ready market out there...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
RobbyL9
Seaman

2916 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as Sid Meier follows OUR suggestion and makes Pirates: Live the Life 2 how we want it, we'll see a tremendous surge in membership. That I promise you.
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid Meier and Firaxis have not intention to make Pirates a popular game.

This was proven when they went to extremes to ensure that it could never be modded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: