Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

We need to become more popular!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bllasae
Seaman

788 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Sid Meier and Firaxis have not intention to make Pirates a popular game.

This was proven when they went to extremes to ensure that it could never be modded.

Well, yeah, unlike all other game making companies(and I mean "ALL", don't try and argue!), they actually care about their customers, instead of profit, although profit is an added benefit!
Captain Riddle
Swabbie

2171 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to argue -- Paradox Interactive cares about their customers. They're the ones that make games like Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron...they release patches for years to fix or improve the games, and actually listen to and incorporate customer input. Their lead programmer even posts on their forums...

As for here, I think this site needs a higher off-topic-to-Pirates! ratio of topics. It's hard to keep something lively if it's dedicated to a single game since people will leave when they get bored of it (which also makes events a temporary measure at best), but having something interesting that's not related to it in any way helps.

Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a question of Firaxis' varying support for Pirates in contrast to that for Civ4, besides what's already been mentioned I'd wonder if there are license issues involved. Both games use Gamebryo, and neither Firaxis, 2K, or anyone but Emergent can license its use and redistribution. There may be licensing issues involved, and despite assertions to the contrary Firaxis is a publically-traded corporate entity that is required by law to seek the maximum profit for its shareholders.

All of which has ___ all to do with site popularity of course but I thought it needed said.
Sir W. Raleigh
Seaman

4225 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bllasae wrote:
Sir W. Raleigh wrote:
Even after accounting for customary troll loads, that's not "dead" by any stretch.

Actually, it is. There are only about 6 people that log on regularly(Don't count exactly 6, I said "about" Rolling Eyes ) and that's including you. And Eric Jones, that's a good idea, with the post above this one, but not about the spam one. We really don't care if at other forums, the "spam and ban" policy worked, because if somebody "spams" the forums here to 30 posts or so, there gold would probably be taken away, not banned. Also, as long as people are posting, and it's somehow related to the subject, then we'll have at least one more person posting here.

Clearly, my case would be stronger had I got back to it sooner. Nonetheless, I stand by my reasoning. I don't see this site, at least now, as one primarily driven by "activity" in the sense that you seem to seek. For me its value lies more in the vast repository of creative, artful and immensely entertaining content. Content that some would have sealed away behind a "lock" to be opened by some arbitrary key of verbosity.

The point has been made that Pirates has reached its end, and perhaps it should be allowed to pass in respectful peace. It's hard to argue against that sentiment, given the vast array of spectacular new products available today. Therefore I'd have to agree that it's unrealistic to expect any support from the game maker, and probably unfair to expect much from site admins. It's enough that they keep this site up at all, imho, and I think that anything that can be done to increase popularity of either game or site will have to come from users themselves. So ... keep on keepin' on.
Wink
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Sid Meier and Firaxis have not intention to make Pirates a popular game.

This was proven when they went to extremes to ensure that it could never be modded.

The people who play video game most- teens like myself- are not interested (generally speaking) in a historical/ strategy gamne like prates. They want killer graphics and killing, or at least more modern material.

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Cannon wrote:
The people who play video game most- teens like myself- are not interested (generally speaking) in a historical/ strategy gamne like prates. They want killer graphics and killing, or at least more modern material.

A company that focuses on this relatively small core market can make a lot of money, but it is unlikely to grow beyond that niche. Sid's games appeal to a much broader audience - including more mature and better educated folks with greater disposable income. There is a lot of potential profit in this under-exploited market.

But this market is also more demanding. It is not committed to playing computer/video games at all, but would be just as happy reading a magazine, watching TV, or writing a blog. Therefore, a company must work hard to satisfy it. Perhaps 2K's managers have decided to take the lazy approach, ditching the more demanding segment of their customer base in order to focus on the young males for whom gaming is a way of life, rather than a mere pastime.
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland, that is right on, I think. It could be a great market niche, but it is more work. Still, it seems that once a good game - like pirates - is established, some modest investments in improving it could generate a reasonable return for the developers.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we could do is start expanding our horizons - playing other pirate games besides SMP.

A merge with other pirate fan sites may also bring new life to this forum.

The simplest solution is this: Just post more. Stop lurking and post! Very Happy
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power On Self Test

My Computer does it every day.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like our little community the way it is. More people posting would be nice, but as it is we have no rude people, no know-it-alls, no boring bores (or boors) no pains in the neck of any type that I can see. The more new members we got, the harder it would be to keep things civilized. Also, it sort of has a family feel, as you get to know the regular posters and their ways.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually - this is the only non work related forum that I am in Smile
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
Actually, I like our little community the way it is. More people posting would be nice, but as it is we have no rude people, no know-it-alls, no boring bores (or boors) no pains in the neck of any type that I can see. The more new members we got, the harder it would be to keep things civilized. Also, it sort of has a family feel, as you get to know the regular posters and their ways.

Sorry to ruin the party but a nutcase has joined since this was posted. It's me and. I'm modding barmaids and the next project is stealing your rum Smile
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I'm modding barmaids and the next project is stealing your rum

We'll have to buy some cheap rum for you to steal - and hide the good stuff!
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68403 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so Pirate and Roland, in a desperate attempt to make the site more populous, resort to thread necromancy, and we swell our ranks with the dead.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Blue wrote:
And so Pirate and Roland, in a desperate attempt to make the site more populous, resort to thread necromancy, and we swell our ranks with the dead.

I do not mind having my old Posts brought back to life - as long as they do not start chasing me whilst trying to eat me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: