Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

help me!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryangnadt72593
Powder Monkey

654 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: help me!! Reply with quote

i am not very good at keeping my crew happy with me when im chasing montalban and romundo around. does it matter if they ary happy, and if it does, what can i do to keep them so? Very Happy
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: help me!! Reply with quote

bryangnadt72593 wrote:
i am not very good at keeping my crew happy with me when im chasing montalban and romundo around. does it matter if they ary happy, and if it does, what can i do to keep them so?

As long as your crew does not turn mutinous, you are okay. Once they turn mutinous, however, they will begin to desert whenever you are in port. If you have more than one vessel in your fleet, there is also a chance they will steal a portion of your treasure and abscond with one of your secondary vessels.

The cook, the quartermaster, and the musical instruments will all contribute to your crew's morale - that is, they will delay your crew's descent into mutiny.

After you have kept a crew together for many years without dividing the plunder, their morale depends on only one thing: each man's share of the gold. To calculate this, start with your total gold, subtract the captain's share (which depends on the difficulty level) and divide what's left by the number of men in your crew. If this number is greater than 1,000, then you should be safe from mutiny.

There are three ways to deal with a crew with low morale: 1) reduce your crew size; 2) get more loot; or 3) divide the plunder and hire a fresh crew.

The only drawback to the last option is that it will take you 6-9 months to hire a new crew. For this reason, many of us try to avoid dividing the plunder.
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want money. Get money and have a happy crew. Get cash via treasures, taking ships etc. Dividing frequently will keep your dudes happier.

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Asclepius
Cutthroat

11341 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: help me!! Reply with quote

bryangnadt72593 wrote:
what can i do to keep them so? Very Happy

I've always found that the best way to keep a crew happy is to stay within your means. What I mean by that is that you shouldn't try to have a huge crew as a very young man. Build your crew size as you build your reputation and the amount of your Gold.

Roland wrote:
There are three ways to deal with a crew with low morale: 1) reduce your crew size; 2) get more loot; or 3) divide the plunder and hire a fresh crew.

This is very important to remember. Here is an example of how this works. Say you want to attack Montalbaan at his home, and decide that you'll need 200 men to fight through the Indians and get you shot at the Marquis. As an Apprentice, you would need about 211,000 gold to keep that size crew from their Mutiny. As you get to the higher levels, you'll need more to keep them from Mutiny. 1,000 Gold per man, they won't Mutiny. 2,000 Gold per man, they'll be content. 3,000 Gold per man, they'll be happy.

Asclepius was here
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asclepius wrote:
]I've always found that the best way to keep a crew happy is to stay within your means. What I mean by that is that you shouldn't try to have a huge crew as a very young man. Build your crew size as you build your reputation and the amount of your Gold.

The above is excellent advice. This advice is relevant regarding your wealth, status, and any items you may have.

It requires patience sometimes to get through the lean times. I have had to maintain a single sloop until my greedy crew became happy enough to stop deserting me.

In my current game, I had to give up a formerly French Ship of the Line because I couldn't keep a large enough crew for it. I captured it way too early- six months into the game. Being on a budget, I simply couldn't afford to keep it...
Sad

But now, I'm rich, my crew is content (huzzah!) and I'm setting up a Kill Zone to get another French Ship of the Line to make up for it...just don't tell that to any of the French Governors I'm installing...
Wink
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my current game, I had to give up a formerly French Ship of the Line because I couldn't keep a large enough crew for it. I captured it way too early- six months into the game. Being on a budget, I simply couldn't afford to keep it...

That sadness is in the distant past now...two Ships of the Line, HMS Saint George and HMS King Alfred have been liberated from the French!

And I have more than enough gold to keep my swabs happy!

Victorious
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: