Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Tutorial: Making sail emblems & flags
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenguro
Powder Monkey

31 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this tutorial is extremely helpful and probably the most useful thing I've seen all month Smile I tried this tutorial and on my first try made an awesome looking flag and immediately after for about every flag/emblem it's taken me about 5 minutes
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic.
fignewton
Powder Monkey

290 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: black bars on my sails Reply with quote

I've made a few sails using bitmaps of my various family crests. I used photoshop vice PSP. Anyway, each came with a white backdrop, so no hassle there. When I made the negative copy for each, I inverted the white background to black and deleted the crest portion in the middle. So when I installed them into the game, some came out perfectly and others have this multicolored strip across the top half, kinda like the colors are smeared. Any ideas? Exclamation

Update Aug 4 - I looked into this a little further. For starters, I put several different sail emblems into the custom folder. The problem ones occurred when the original bmp was of a shield with a black border. On the top half of each shield, where it's squared off, the black border butts all the way up to the edge of the bmp - therefore, the only visible background is on the bottom half where the shield curves inward. This would make sense about my smear problem occurring only on the top half of said emblems. So in an attempt to eliminate this, I opened the original bmp and enlarged the canvas so that the background would completely surround the shield image. I figured this would make sure the shield image was standalone and therefore eliminate the smearing. The end result was that the full background sometimes helped a lot and sometimes not.
domino35
Powder Monkey

428 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i inverted it it just switched the colors to their opposites what am I doing wrong?

why is the rum gone? -Jack Sparrow
Cool
Chiko
Seaman

273 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I think I'll have to read the tutorial again. I spent like five minutes staring at the .dds files. I completely forgot how to do all of this.

I only have one request from anyone... Where do I find the other ingame flags? The ones the other famous pirates use and the white surrender flag... I feel like start making flags again.

Nervous
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, I'd have no idea where to start making new flags and sails. I've quite forgotten all the advice in the tutorial, even though I wrote it myself... (been too long since I did any graphics editing aside from photo touch-up)
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Chiko
Seaman

273 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehehe... Well, I can make them, I think. I still have some related files on my hardrive . I just found a FPK Unpacker so I'll start looking for an empty flag like the white one. Only problem with the files I found is they are all .jpg so I wont be using those.

This one looks cool but the only copy I have is in .jpg T-T

Bomer Fett
Powder Monkey

171 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding thread. Thank for the info.
Powder Monkey

171 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to make my custom flags and sails fairly easy using these instructions. I was very surprised because I don't have much knowledge in these kind of mods.
Powder Monkey

74 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its kinda hard can u pls post easier one Wink
rainmaker
Powder Monkey

58 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed Pirates! again, and it is as fun as ever. I also thought I would make my own flags and sails for, so I created a couple that I will be uploading shortly.

When it comes to tutorials this is quite a good one (personaly I used this http://hookedonpirates.com/forwarder.html?http://hookedonpirates.com/misc/screenshots/ to get an overview over how the game loads textures), however it leaves a lot to the imagination if you want to create immersible flags and sails.

I do have a few pointers if anyone need some help to create these textures.

1. The program DXTbmp can no longer be found at that link, better to use another like this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/DXTBmp.shtml

2. if you want the sail to be as immersible as possible you will have to try and make it look faded. The easiest way to do this is to render some clouds in the "white" area of the alpha channel and set the opacity of it to a level where it becomes faded enough for you. By using the same technique you can create a lot of different patterns if you so wish.

I am actually thinking of creating a new tutorial which is easy to follow (going to be a bit more advanced then the one I linked to over, but it will be just as easy) and up to date, but only if there is some interest for it.

Anyways, good work with the tutorial.
Wimund
Powder Monkey

198 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this information!! It has made the game even more enjoyable. Just being able to pick out different flag and sails has made the game 10 thousand times more fun!! Thanks!

Sailor
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: when u become bored Reply with quote

when u become bored...add a mod! Sailor
Amaroy
Swabbie

1758 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy Mates,

the programs mentioned in the older tutorials are not all available anymore but you don´t need them!

I produce my flags and sail emblems with the freeware tool GIMP. There is also a plug in available, that can open and save as DDS format.

For the worn out effect of flags I use to open the blank white "Surrender" flag as a layer and make it transparent for a degree of about 30%. That gives the flags a nice "used" look like those in the original game.

For the sail emblems try the filter/render/clouds/fog effect end put a stained layer in a similar colour of the logo´s colour over it.

When exporting your new picture you should choose to create mipmaps, so the graphics will be properly shown in all sizes.

Try it out: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Yours
Amaroy Cool
fleetp
Boatswain

35863 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the dds plug in for GIMP

https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: