Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Do the Pistols really do anything?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Fencing Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Do the Pistols really do anything? Reply with quote

I know the guide says they act like two hits, but I haven't really noticed it. Also, can you skip the animation without losing the effects of them? And why does the other captain not fire at you until you have your own gun?
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pistols should be knocking your opponent back two spaces, reducing the amount of sword hits you need to knock your opponent back and ending the fight. If it's not doing this for you, then there might be an issue with your game. However, it is an element that can be unnoticible. After you've had the pistols for a while, the fights become routine and it feels as if you've gained no advantage.

Yes, you can skip the cinematic sequence and still gain the benefits.

As for why your opponent doesn't bother firing at you until you have guns of your own?

Um. . .chivalry? Aspects of fair play? Don't know. hehe
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda assumed that. I really hadnt noticed, and began typing my question before re-reading the guide. I will look for it again when I play. It just seemed minimal.
Blonde Pirate's Dad
Swabbie

3995 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I get tired of the repeatitive parts of the game, such as after beating a captain and his arm catches fire and jumps off ship or the firing of pistols before a sword fight, so I just hit the "enter" key and you skip those parts and goes on with the game as usual.
Anybody got a rag and a match?
Kaboom!!!
The Blonde Pirate
Swabbie

806 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I also get tired of those things too. But back to the subject..... yeah the pistols do something, it knocks back the enemy either one hit or two hits. so thats why I always try to get them.
loki59
Rigger

24252 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blonde Pirate wrote:
Yeah I also get tired of those things too. But back to the subject..... yeah the pistols do something, it knocks back the enemy either one hit or two hits. so thats why I always try to get them.
Yup, one pistol pushes the opponent back one step, and two pistols two steps
Blonde Pirate's Dad
Swabbie

3995 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how far back a blunderbuss would knock someone? Too bad that's not a part of the game.
Anybody got a rag and a match?
Kaboom!!!
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discovered that the advantage granted by the pistols also applies to those duels where they don't appear, such as the fights with the jealous suitor and the fugitive in the tavern.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've discovered that the advantage granted by the pistols also applies to those duels where they don't appear, such as the fights with the jealous suitor and the fugitive in the tavern.

I know about teaching the Captains of the Guard to leave the barmaid alone, but do we use the pistols against the criminals in the tavern? I don't recall- maybe I also press the space bar to hurry the game up...
Lost

I do know that the same one or two-step advantage remains if you have one pistol, or the brace of pistols, respectively...
Duelling
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:
I know about teaching the Captains of the Guard to leave the barmaid alone, but do we use the pistols against the criminals in the tavern? I don't recall- maybe I also press the space bar to hurry the game up...

I think I have seen the pistols used in the tavern, but not all the time. Perhaps it only shows the pistol scene in your first tavern fight after you acquire them. Or maybe only on lower difficulty levels.

But you definitely get the one- or two-step advantage from the pistols even if you don't see the shots being fired. When you have the brace of pistols, it only takes one hit to force your opponent down the stairs! Against a criminal, I like to see if I can poke him with my rapier before he can even draw his sword back!
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you have the brace of pistols, it only takes one hit to force your opponent down the stairs!

Aye and well. I always offer them more room, but they always moodily grumble, "I be fine, thankee," and so I send them though the railing onto the floor...
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
I think I have seen the pistols used in the tavern, but not all the time. Perhaps it only shows the pistol scene in your first tavern fight after you acquire them. Or maybe only on lower difficulty levels.

If you have pistols, you use them against the rude captain of the guard, but you don't use them (or rather, there is no related scene at the beginning of the fight) against the fugitive. (I'd expect it to be the other way around, myself, unless that captain of the guard is very unpopular with his men. Smile )
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have pistols, you use them against the rude captain of the guard, but you don't use them (or rather, there is no related scene at the beginning of the fight) against the fugitive. (I'd expect it to be the other way around, myself, unless that captain of the guard is very unpopular with his men. Smile

I have always thought that shooting the Captain of the Guard was over the top. Even though you could get the death penalty for hundreds of crimes back then, It has never been a capital offense to hit on offended barmaids...just an offense to manners.
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Do the Pistols really do anything? Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:
I know the guide says they act like two hits, but I haven't really noticed it. Also, can you skip the animation without losing the effects of them? And why does the other captain not fire at you until you have your own gun?

The manual is correct, and yes, you can skip the anuimation.

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...why does the other captain not fire at you until you have your own gun?

Well, here is my take on the mystery...

Before you get your own pistol, no other potential opponent has figured out how to load the crazy things.

When they finally do, you have, by a fantastic coincidence, figured out the proper uses of handguns before everybody.

And after all that, these lubberly coves still can't aim properly. How many times has your character been shot? Like mine, I would guess, never.

No matter how old your hero gets, even if he he barely wins a duel against the English Captain of the Guard, he can, nonetheless, always dodge a bullet.

I feel bad for Raymondo. Let's say that our hero fights him the maximum sixteen times to obtain map pieces for the four lost family members' locations. If our aforementioned swashbuckler has used the brace of pistols to open every duel, the unfortunate Baron has been shot thirty-two times.

How does Raymondo survive this onslaught? I think that when the perforated villain is hit, he sheds map pieces. Lots of bits of map pieces.

Wink
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: