Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Ships You May Have Misjudged
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you changed your mind about certain ships?
Yes, and it's good to learn what works better for me.
83%
 83%  [ 31 ]
No, I accurately anticipated my special vessel(s).
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Not sure; I dont think I know enough yet.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 37

Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Ships You May Have Misjudged Reply with quote

Ahoy, Mateys!

Every one of us has our favorite ships and tactics. Some of us have learned, through determination and ability, to make our preconceived notions work. Others among us may have changed, and, through our spy-glass, we have looked at some previously shunned ships with a new appreciation...or, due to certain experiences, look at formerly revered vessels with dissatisfaction.

What ships, if any, have you, based upon your tendencies as a player, learned to appreciate, or be wary of? And if there's a tale, be pleased to share it; tell us how it came to pass!

For starters, I learned to appreciate the pinnace class of ships several games ago. I'm fairly certain that rupertlittlebear's praise of the War Canoe was a large factor in my interest. So, I experimented with the class and was very impressed. At first it was for the way my fleet would speedily tack around contrary winds; then it was for the way I could weave and speed my way to harass and board the enemy.

Sloops were, as I surmised in the beginning (that is, Apprentice level), going to be my default workhorse in the early-to-middle part of games...very reliable ships. A Spanish Royal Sloop, often with a good deal of upgrades, is always a great prize during those game periods.

After a clumsy start with the Ship of the Line, I have learned to treat her appropriately. She has, in return, exceeded my expectations...

I've still got to learn about Brigs, though...I'm looking forward to using them properly...

Over to you, shipmates!

Smooth Sailing
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
I learned to love the mighty SoTL Worship early on, as we ALL know ad nauseum... Innocent
However, my next love became the Royal Sloop, fully upgraded she's nearly unstoppable in many situations.
Now though, my current love is the Brig of War. Loving
What a beauty of a ship! She sails quite nearly as fast as a frigate class ship, better actually against the wind.
She packs all the firepower of a frigate as well as the cargo capacity.
I fell in love with the BoW when my SoTL Worship got chewed up royally by one in a fight. I took her but because of the pasting my mighty SoTL Worship took from her I was obliged to sail her quite a long ways back to port for repairs on my lovely first love.
I was in love inside of a two battles.
Fortunately, and probably going a long way towards explaining the pasting I took, she was nearly fully upgraded, so she handled like a dream. The BoW can seemingly turn on its own tail! I cannot get over how much more manueverable she is even than any sloop I've ever sailed.
By the time I got back to port for repairs I decided to keep the BoW isntead of my back up ship of a fully upgraded Royal Sloop, and I've never looked back since.

I'm not as enamored of the pinnace class ships as others seem to be. I've tried them and they just don't work for me.
I think I'm more of a "big gun" kind of guy, and pinnaces just don't fit that scenario well.
But I'm sure a believer in "to each their own".
Sail what you love!
Smooth Sailing
Perry
Swabbie

2746 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hearing lots about Brigs lately...HAVE to check them out!

The Pinnace class, also , have I heard a lot of things about. My problem is: I can't catch the damned things!! In ship battle they're running away so fast I can hardly get a glimpse of them!
Capt. Cannon
Cutthroat

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ship that i have always liked from the start is the barque. It has unique sailing abilities, good maneuverablility, and also can pack a decent puch when properly used.

Johnny Ringo- "This fight isn't with you"
Doc Holliday-"I bed to Diffuh."
(Tombstone)

http://www.fishnj.netfirms.com/

Capt. Cannon <((((((<
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Blood wrote:
I learned to love the mighty SoTL Worship early on, as we ALL know ad nauseum... Innocent
However, my next love became the Royal Sloop, fully upgraded she's nearly unstoppable in many situations.
Now though, my current love is the Brig of War...Loving

As soon as I stopped trying to make the Ship of the Line act like a sloop, I started to like her...the Royal Sloop, of course, is a real thoroughbred. The Brig of War, there's a ship that's hard for me to define...like Perry says, I need to give them better attention!

Perry further wrote:
The Pinnace class, also , have I heard a lot of things about. My problem is: I can't catch the damned things!! In ship battle they're running away so fast I can hardly get a glimpse of them!

If the winds are light, and you have the wind gauge, you can catch one with a sloop. Or you can go to a native village, and convince the chief to release his War Canoes. Cut off and capture one of the canoes, and use it to chase others of its class (the best ship to capture a pinnace-class ship is another pinnace-class ship). Upgrading your ships to get the edge in pursuit and capture is highly recommended- when you can afford it!

I now consider it obligatory to have a pinnace-class ship in my fleet.

Capt. Cannon wrote:
A ship that i have always liked from the start is the barque. It has unique sailing abilities, good maneuverablility, and also can pack a decent puch when properly used.

I know that the barque in the original 1987 Pirates! game is a good ship. I have not yet tried one in the current version. I'm intrigued now...
Geetee
Powder Monkey

534 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the pinace almost exclusively in the original Pirates! and find I now use the war canoe almost exclusively. In my current game, I had a two ship fleet of a war canoe and large frigate and only used the frigate a couple times in about 200 ship battles. I just added a royal sloop to dispose of pirate hunters. I disliked brigs in the original game and have only tried them for one or two battles ever. In the original I used an occasional fast galleon for the downwind sailing and would capture a pinnace for the upwind return.
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the original I used an occasional fast galleon for the downwind sailing and would capture a pinnace for the upwind return.

Were war galleons more useful in the original game, then, Geetee? What about frigates, then? How did the two compare?

I should have a try myself. I finally got a DOS version of the 1987 game working!

W00t!
Excited
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing my favorite was a frigate, or then Henry Morgan's large frigate. Then the SOTL when I could get one. Later I gravitated to Royal Sloops for their turning, and mail runners for speed. Then I started to go to the Brig of War, for firepower, sailing against the wind, and (I think, though I don't know how to prove this) durability. For many games I ended up playing the later stages with a fleet that included a Mail Runner, a Royal Sloop, a Brig of War, and a Large Frigate or SOTL.

Lately I have been more interested in seeing how quickly I can so things, and have relied more on fencing than sea battles with cannon, and have used Pinnaces as well as Mail Runners. I just figured our that the war canoe is faster - if slightly - than either of these, and I am going to try one in my next game.
Geetee
Powder Monkey

534 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember it there were only 8 classes of ships. Pinnace, sloop, barque, brig, fluyt, fast galleon, galleon and another. I don't remember frigates. I don't think there was a war galleon - there were galleons and fast galleons. The fast galleon was a reasonable ship going down wind.

The most interesting part of the game for me was attacking the cities/forts. You had to sail in under fire from the fort's canons and run aground at the fort. Then you would proceed to a sword fight for the fort. At Cartagena you had to sail into the wind which made it very slow going. I remember taking a pinnace in once against the wind and 40 cannon. By the time I reached the fort the pinnace looked like Johny Depp sailing into port. I won the ensuing sword fight but my crew was to depleted to sail out (you needed 8 crew minimum for a pinnace). I don't recall how I got out, but I made governor in that game. Usually I stopped at 'sugar planter'. I liked the idea of retiring in good health with an easy job - sitting back and sipping rum.
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geetee wrote:
As I remember it there were only 8 classes of ships. Pinnace, sloop, barque, brig, fluyt, fast galleon, galleon and another. I don't remember frigates. I don't think there was a war galleon - there were galleons and fast galleons. The fast galleon was a reasonable ship going down wind.

The most interesting part of the game for me was attacking the cities/forts. You had to sail in under fire from the fort's canons and run aground at the fort. Then you would proceed to a sword fight for the fort. At Cartagena you had to sail into the wind which made it very slow going. I remember taking a pinnace in once against the wind and 40 cannon. By the time I reached the fort the pinnace looked like Johny Depp sailing into port. I won the ensuing sword fight but my crew was to depleted to sail out (you needed 8 crew minimum for a pinnace). I don't recall how I got out, but I made governor in that game. Usually I stopped at 'sugar planter'. I liked the idea of retiring in good health with an easy job - sitting back and sipping rum.

In the Pirates! Gold port version I played, there were Frigates, but they were only available in later eras. And the 3 classes of Galleon were Fast Galleon, War Galleon, and just Galleon. Some of the other Great Powers like England were able to use Fast Galleons as their larger warships in eras where Frigates weren't available.

But again, my version of Pirates! was an updated port for a console, so some things might have changed.

I miss ship versus fort battles. I'd sail back and forth, pummeling the place with cannon shot before sailing in. And, indeed, Cartegena was an awful port to try and attack. Not only are you going into the wind, but any attack going east/west was harder because you couldn't judge were the enemy fort's cannon fire was going as easy. When attacking north/south it was far easier.

I remember once I attacked Cartegena with a Sloop and 96 men. Normally I wouldn't but BOTH the Treasure Fleet and Silver Train were in town, and I couldn't pass it up. The fort contained over 300 men! I attacked the fort, my men were chopped to pieces, but I won my swordfight so the day was victorious!

I tried Frigates and Fast Galleons occasionally. Sometimes I'd take a strong force west along the Spanish Main plundering ships and towns, and then sail north to Port Royale and the various French ports on Hispanola, where I would sell my big, slow-against-the-wind ships before sailing back east.

But, I always used my smaller ships (Sloops a lot, Barques in earlier eras when Sloops weren't an option) against other warships
Perry
Swabbie

2746 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, now I've been toying with Captain Kidds 'Adventure Galley'. An upgraded Brig of War, and I got to say, what a ship Very Happy

Sloops are far more vulnerable, and has only slightly better maneuvering capabilities. And it packs FAR more cannon & men..
From now on, I'll ditch the Royal Sloops.

Now, it's time to get to know the Barques better.

What do you guys say. Should I go for the Coastal Barque, the Ocean Barque or the 'Vanilla' Barque??
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Pullings wrote:
Lately I have been more interested in seeing how quickly I can so things, and have relied more on fencing than sea battles with cannon, and have used Pinnaces as well as Mail Runners.

I used to like sweeping in and boarding all of the time...but there are times I want to give the enemy ship a good belashing, and see that white flag run up...or the masts blasted to flinders.
Still, since success in the game is impossible without duelling, more practice in that skill is never a bad thing.

Geetee wrote:

There are frigates, matey! They are often pirate hunters, too...I suppose that the galleons and frigates might be comparable sailing large.

Geetee further expounding the Grand Old Game, wrote:
The most interesting part of the game for me was attacking the cities/forts...

A rousing story of plunder and glory, shipmate, and your Jack Sparrow reference made me chuckle...he should have got his shilling back; his vessel was certainly not occupying the dock- somewhere far submerged beneath it, yes...

Cussler, also enthusing about the Classic Game, wrote:
I miss ship versus fort battles. I'd sail back and forth, pummeling the place with cannon shot before sailing in. And, indeed, Cartegena was an awful port to try and attack. Not only are you going into the wind, but any attack going east/west was harder because you couldn't judge were the enemy fort's cannon fire was going as easy. When attacking north/south it was far easier.

I remember once I attacked Cartegena with a Sloop and 96 men. Normally I wouldn't but BOTH the Treasure Fleet and Silver Train were in town, and I couldn't pass it up. The fort contained over 300 men! I attacked the fort, my men were chopped to pieces, but I won my swordfight so the day was victorious!

Victorious Good on you, ye valiant buccaneer!

In my last foray in the 1987 version, I lucked out when I sacked Puerto Bello. Without even knowing what prizes there were, I captured the Treasure Fleet and the Silver Train. I also out-duelled some rascal who gave me part of a map to rescue my sister!

I returned to Port Royal, filthy rich, expecting a promotion, and seeking to further press my suit to marry the governor's blonde, green-eyed daughter (this paragraph may seem familiar to players of the current version).

She said that when I had distinguished myself more, she'd think more of my wooing. Pah! As if her present intended, some toffee-nosed, old and gouty Admiral, had ever done anything like it!

And now England is at peace with everybody! Now what does a poor privateer do to get promoted in the Old Game?
Sad

Perry, enjoying a ship that his good friend Captain Kidd no longer has need for, wrote:
Hey, now I've been toying with Captain Kidds 'Adventure Galley'. An upgraded Brig of War, and I got to say, what a ship Very Happy

Sloops are far more vulnerable, and has only slightly better maneuvering capabilities. And it packs FAR more cannon & men..
From now on, I'll ditch the Royal Sloops.

Glad to know that you are enjoying the brig class, Perry. As long as you keep in mind that the brig's sailing strengths are different than with sloops or frigates, you'll be a nightmare to them lubberly merchant Captains and cowering pirate hunters!

I'd suggest the Ocean Barque. Bigger is often better. But, choose whatever barque can provide the best bite.*

* aye, it were a sorry pun, but I couldn't pass it up...your pardon, mates...
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:

In my last foray in the 1987 version, I lucked out when I sacked Puerto Bello. Without even knowing what prizes there were, I captured the Treasure Fleet and the Silver Train. I also out-duelled some rascal who gave me part of a map to rescue my sister!

I returned to Port Royal, filthy rich, expecting a promotion, and seeking to further press my suit to marry the governor's blonde, green-eyed daughter (this paragraph may seem familiar to players of the current version).

She said that when I had distinguished myself more, she'd think more of my wooing. Pah! As if her present intended, some toffee-nosed, old and gouty Admiral, had ever done anything like it!

Hahahaha! I know how you feel, matey! In that adventure I posted, I had me a beautiful English redhead waiting for me in Maracaibo. Getting married was the last thing I had to do to complete the Ten Great Pirate Quests.

After limping into port with the spoils of war, and having defeated a far superior opponent who was an enemy of the English crown, the fair maiden said the same exact thing to me that your lass said to you.

Needless to say, I was doubting the sanity of this woman. Felt that perhaps she had spent too much time out in the Caribbean heat. I did, eventually, win her over.

So, cheers to you, Dave the Knave. Arr! You're not alone. Did you eventually get the wench to marry you?

As for the topic on hand, it is interesting how many are talking about Barques. They were good in the original version. I tried one in this new version and despised it. In fact, I think it got sunk.
Captain Blood
Cutthroat

6396 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barques!
Aaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What an AWFUL ship in this version of the game.
Things are useless.
Now, before anyone says anything, I'll amend that.
Things are useless TO ME.
I remembered how much I used to like the barques in Pirates! Gold. I woud consider it a good day when I snapped up a barque. So when I started playing the newest version of Pirates I rejoiced to see a barque come over the horizon and I snatched it up and made it my flagship immediately.
I got my butt kicked in every battle after that until I wised up and switched back to the sloop they gave me at the start.
Since then, I won't even take a barque into my fleet. I sink the useless things immediately after I take off the plunder.

To each their own, but I'd rather sail the Carribean in a one cannon Fluyt with a broken compass than a fully upgraded barque.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:
And now England is at peace with everybody! Now what does a poor privateer do to get promoted in the Old Game?

Did the old game give you the option of hunting pirates? In the current game that makes you popular with everyone - except pirates, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: