Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Aged Swashbuckler with no items or skill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karstedt
Powder Monkey

319 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Aged Swashbuckler with no items or skill Reply with quote

Has anyone actually defeated the fiancee in the Swashbuckler_aged fencing school save game? How about managing to parry a single blow or even land one yourself? I'm a pretty good fencer, I only lose on Swashbuckler against the quickest of opponents when I'm either too old or have no items or skill. But some of you make it sound like you have no trouble beating the fastest opponents even on the hardest difficulty, and I'm baffled as to how. Can you dodge bullets too?

I used to always take the fencing skill, but since trying out navigation my old pirates can't stand up to those jealous young fiancees anymore. I pretty much always pick off Montalban before I'm 30, but I'm sure he'd be just as bad if my old fogies went after him.
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to try in fencing school, but I have in the game. My strategy is basically to plan my sequence in advance and give up on reacting to the attacks. I never try to make two attacks or a duck or jump, but simply alternate blocks (parries) and feint-reverse attack combinations. I notice the opponents moves to the extent of trying to choose how frequently to alter my own sequence - for example from block-feint/chop-attack/slash-block to block-feint/slash-attack/chop. Sometimes I might run the same sequence twice or three times before alternating; sometimes I alternate every other run. It seems to me that the opponents, whether fiancees or other, each have their own patterns, which sometimes you can intuit and adjust for. Otherwise though, at that level of difficulty it just goes too fast for me to adjust or respond, so I find that executing a preplanned drill and basically playing the odds is the only way I can have a chance. The blocks are absolutely essential to keep the momentum from building to that point where I simply can't recover.

It is still very hard, but this strategy works for me most of the time, even with full age and no equipment. I don't win all the time, but I do win most.
Karstedt
Powder Monkey

319 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of the game do you have? I'm running PC ver 1.02. When I tried the fencing school old man with no equipment the only successful action I can take is parry. I'm so slow and the other guy is so fast that even a thrust with a rapier gives him time to chop or slash me easily... usually twice. In fact, the rapier is so slow to defend that he actually hits me before I can even recover from a parry move. And that's if I'm basically holding down the parry key. Seriously, in the time it takes to make a slash I can get hit 3 times and of course the first hit stops my attack. I tried using the cutlass to just parry every attack (not trying to win, just to parry) and even then he still hits me a couple of times before beating me back into defeat.
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same version. But my only experience is in game, I haven't tried the fencing academy save game. And it took me a lot of time getting tossed out the window by the annoying captain of the guard - my main method of practice - before I got the hang of it.

Too busy now, but will try the academy to test.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my saved game - of Captain Ahab - over 1000 years young - Sword Fighting is so painfull - that - I do not bother at all - I just now blast the ships to the point where they surrender every time - thank goodness that Chain and Grape shot do not damage the hull at all.

Once - I pounded a ship for 30 minutes with Grape and Chain Shot - just to see if I could sink it that way - then - I accidently got too close - and they surrended.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you are old you should have all the fencing items, which more or less compensate for the effects of aging.

If you can't accumulate all the items, then you need to learn how to dance!
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of the Fencing Items - but the character is slooooooooooow - so I tend to totally avoid anything but total surrender.

I mastered dancing to the point where I can listen to my own music and still get the girl Smile

I have not been playing Pirates much lately - thanks to Extra Crispy who put me onto Buccaner - Pursuit of Infamy.
vykor
Powder Monkey

240 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know how to beat Swashbuckler_aged too. I fought the fiance for 25 min real-time, and managed to push him half-way to his column before I made a mistake (ducking when I should have jumped) and got trashed.

There is just no good way to land a hit on him, feint no feint, because your guy is SO slow. There's one hilarious moment when I tried to attack, when the advantage bar was way in my favor. I ducked his chop and slashed immediately. In the time it took for my guy to make the slash, the fiance jumped, landed, and jumped again, and landed just in time for my slash to hit his legs Smile That was the only time I landed an attack.

The rest of the time, it depended on the auto-attack when I jumped or ducked to push him back.

My usual parry-feint-slash doesn't seem to work either Sad

EDIT:
So it looks like I can win against a jealous suitor if I have all the fencing items on Swashbuckler_aged. With the perfectly balanced sword and the silk shirt, the guy is actually fast enough to hit with a rapier thrust or slash, if you have advantage and the opponent just missed. It's really hard if the guy spawns with his own rapier, but at least you have a chance to land a hit even in old age.

Without the items, for me, it's blind luck. If you don't make any mistakes when defending, you'll eventually push him back with those auto-counterattacks when you jump or duck perfectly. Make one mistake and it'll set you back a lot.

Last edited by vykor on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Vykor Arr!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vykor wrote:
So it looks like I can win against a jealous suitor if I have all the fencing items on Swashbuckler_aged.

In my current Swash game, I am now in failing health. Yet I'm still winning all my sword fights (except against the English captain of the guard, whom I could not beat even when I was younger).

My biggest problem is that my opponents' thrusts often beat my parries. Even Farthingsworth can sometimes hit me if he thrusts repeatedly! In reaction, I am often parrying before I know what attack my opponent will use. That gets me pushed back a step if he uses a slash or a chop, but the gamble usually pays off. I am also taunting occasionally - something I did rarely at lower levels.

And I did find a solution to deal with the English CoG. When I could not get past the CoG to apprehend criminals in Port Royale and Eleuthera, I just sacked both cities and installed Spanish governors! Then I easily defeated the Spanish CoG.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taunting seems to get me killed. How do you pull it off Roland?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExtraCrispy wrote:
Taunting seems to get me killed. How do you pull it off Roland?

I only taunt after I duck under a chop or jump over a slash. Normally in that circumstance I would counterattack, but I am finding that some opponents can parry so quickly following a chop or a slash that I cannot score with a counter-thrust. After having a few of my counter-thrusts parried, I will resort to taunting instead. Following the taunt, I am prepared to parry.
demonen
Powder Monkey

86 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vykor wrote:
So it looks like I can win against a jealous suitor if I have all the fencing items on Swashbuckler_aged. With the perfectly balanced sword and the silk shirt, the guy is actually fast enough to hit with a rapier thrust or slash, if you have advantage and the opponent just missed. It's really hard if the guy spawns with his own rapier, but at least you have a chance to land a hit even in old age.

Without the items, for me, it's blind luck. If you don't make any mistakes when defending, you'll eventually push him back with those auto-counterattacks when you jump or duck perfectly. Make one mistake and it'll set you back a lot.

I havn't found a way to beat the suitor in swashbuckler_aged yet (I think parrying everything and hoping for ripostes is the only way), but when I took the swashbuckler_noskill_nogear and divided the plunder until poor health for a test, I was able to beat the suitor with at least some reliability.

Use a cutlass, and avoid everything he does. Don't even attempt to taunt, or you just risk being hit by a quick thrust. When you have the advantage and he does a low slash, you jump and quickly do a high attack back at him. If you time this right you will hit even if you are a lot slower than him. This feels a lot more reliable than using a rapier and hope you manage to avoid his attacks, and it works just as well against opponents with a rapier.

I came up with this after several hours of slamming my head into Montalban at old age and no fencing skill.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi demonen and welcome to Cutlass Isle Arr!
(you wouldn't be a norwegian by the way?)

You sounds like a fencing master demonen, and I will have to try this strategy when I'm getting back to Pirates! (I still keep banging my own head against the wall when trying to beat the Rapier-wielding Montalban at Swashbuckler)
Duelling

I am wondering if any of you have beaten the jealous fiancèe even at Aged_Adventurer? I can't do anything other than parrying, and even then his thrusts get through...
demonen
Powder Monkey

86 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru wrote:
Hi demonen and welcome to Cutlass Isle Arr!
(you wouldn't be a norwegian by the way?)

Thanks, I happen to be swedish though Smile

It's a great place for information, and I found a lot of helpful tips here. I'm a bit annoyed I didn't know about this place earlier...

Guru wrote:
You sounds like a fencing master demonen, and I will have to try this strategy when I'm getting back to Pirates! (I still keep banging my own head against the wall when trying to beat the Rapier-wielding Montalban at Swashbuckler)
Duelling

I am wondering if any of you have beaten the jealous fiancèe even at Aged_Adventurer? I can't do anything other than parrying, and even then his thrusts get through...

I gave this a shot and eventually managed to win when he was using a longsword. I ended up using a rapier and only attacked with thrusts after jumping over his low slashes, and avoiding the rest of his attacks. While testing different tactics I was able to hit him with quite a few different attacks, but it mostly came down to luck if I did and most of the time I ended up being pushed back 2 steps instead.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: