Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Naval Boredom
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rabid Weasel
Powder Monkey

210 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Naval Boredom Reply with quote

Fellow pirates; it is apparent to us all that anything on the sea takes time. From sailing from Campeche to Havana, to cautiously blasting apart that troop transport ship that holds too many men for your near-mutinous crew to fight safely and is bound for the city you're trying to sack. Everything on the sea can take a lot of time. I will typically grab one of my novels and start reading while half-way paying attention to the game.

What to you do in those long stretches?
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a war canoe to speed up the trips. I mostly try to think up ridiculous forum posts for Cutlass Isle. Like "What do you consume for breakfast"
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go the long way - hugging the coast - attacking everything in site.

Guns Blazing
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno.. That lengthens the trip. And after a long battle I keep forgetting what I was trying to do in the first place.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible names:
    Oktoberfest
    Big Bass
    Long Hammerhead. (excellent name for a sloop)
    Boom! Head shot!
    Banana Split
    Gentlemen?
    S.S. Essess (say it out loud)
    pantsless
    100% cotton
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fellow pirates;

Ah. Well, as I am a heroic noble, privateer, this doesn't apply to me, but I'm interested in what ye coves are up to, anyway...
Quote:
...it is apparent to us all that anything on the sea takes time...What to you do in those long stretches?

I do what sparticus does- attack everything along the coast...while I usually grumble about the long trip back to the Happy Hunting Grounds on the Spanish Main.

And, like ExtraCrispy, I have a War Canoe to tack around the winds, when necessary, to speed the fleet along to whatever the horizon may bring.
Sailor
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave writes:

[/quote]Ah. Well, as I am a heroic noble, privateer, this doesn't apply to me, but I'm interested in what ye coves are up to, anyway...
Quote:

Ah, Dave, spoken like a true (no offense meant, now) PIRATE.

From Sir Francis, to Old Henry to a great many others, if you scratch the one you are apt to find the other.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave the Knave wrote:

I do what sparticus does- attack everything along the coast...while I usually grumble about the long trip back to the Happy Hunting Grounds on the Spanish Main.

And, like ExtraCrispy, I have a War Canoe to tack around the winds, when necessary, to speed the fleet along to whatever the horizon may bring.
Sailor

I also do what sparticus does - Oh no - wait - I am Sparticus.

Yes - I still follow my own advice - hug the coast - and Attack ! Attack ! Attack !
Rupert Drake
Powder Monkey

346 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing push-ups while my fleet travels from West to East. By the time I get back, my fleet will have made it back to Havana or whatever and I get a decent workout in the meantime. Win-win for me Smile
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually have a pirate movie going on the other screen, or perhaps a podcast playing, so I just focus on that for the duration. Sailor

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
davyjones
Cutthroat

5230 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAPTAINcredible wrote:
I usually have a pirate movie going on the other screen, or perhaps a podcast playing, so I just focus on that for the duration. Sailor

For dual monitor setups, can you do normal computer work while playing pirates, or does it start to bug out?

Also, I generally order the officer on deck to steer the ship in the general direction and go to the galley for a ration of rum or some leftover spotted dog.

(ok, maybe a coke and chips, but doesnt sounds as good.)

Then, hopefully I aimed correctly and didnt end up in Pensacola in my absense.
CAPTAINcredible
Seaman

1094 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davyjones wrote:

For dual monitor setups, can you do normal computer work while playing pirates, or does it start to bug out?

Playing computer games when using dual monitors does seem to cause problems on the second monitor. There may be a way around this i'm not aware of or perhaps it just requires a better computer than I have. I play pirates on xbox though so I connect my 360 to my second monitor (an hdtv) and then the other monitor can run whatever I'm doing smoothly whether i'm watching a movie or surfing the net or whatever. When I play a computer game I usually duplicate both monitors. I have an ipad so I can watch something or surf the net on that when playing a computer game.

Get your own fleet/inventory banner!
Black Falcon
Swabbie

375 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's taking too long to get from Point A to Point B, I usually go get my cat and pet her. She's 20 years old now but other than being blind, she's in good health. She even still jumps onto the bed with very little trouble. She spends alot of time in my lap as I play Pirates! getting up only to eat or use the litterbox. I will often go to her as well and pet her while I wait for my ship to arrive in port. I got her when she was just a kitten (@ 6 mo) and we've been inseparable ever since. Loving
HarveyCrimmins
Swabbie

2459 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most excellent about the cat!
Big Dog Barque
Powder Monkey

124 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go make a sandwich and grab a soda. I come back and TRY not to spill on the keyboard... again! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Life at Sea All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: